Old 02-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
shanedeemer

Default Why do you post pictures to Railpictures.net?

I have just returned from a 2,000 mile road trip to Minnesota, and have uploaded some of the best photos from my trip. Unfortunately, they were all rejected for various reasons, ranging from “poor lighting – cloudy” to “bad color.” I did learn, however, that operating Alcos in 2009 are considered “common power.”

I've had similar problems from previous trips, and it's not uncommon for me to take thousands of photos on a trip, and not have a single one to share with RP.NET.

It's even more aggravating to see other photos, composed exactly the same accepted, but mine is rejected for something like “bad color” or “bad contrast.” I’ve had one photo I adjusted the color on no less than 30 times before it got accepted.

Needless to say, I’ve started questioning why I bother to upload photos. Maybe it’s because I have too much time on my hands or I enjoy torturing myself to appease the screeners.

So, why do you upload photos to railpictures.net?
shanedeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Let's just say I enjoy the challenge =)
From the end of September until the beginning of January, I got 25 photos on the DB that were either backlit or cloudy. I also got 1 shot on from a sunny day.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

A. Certain screeners like certain types and look of photos.
B. Your photos may not be as good as you think they are.
C. Your photos may be a style you like but the screener or the site doesn't but others do.
D. Step back, wait a day or so, and re-evaluate your photos.
E. In the end you may improve drastically, and then you may not.
F. Is your monitor calibrated? Lets see some rejects.
Why do I post to rpnet? for views.

Actually it is because there are many more quality photos for mine to hang with and to view. Overall it has improved my photography from location to post processed. I have learned from this site and many other sites and books how to view my work from someone elses perspective besides mine even though it is hard to impossible.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
Let's just say I enjoy the challenge =)
From the end of September until the beginning of January, I got 25 photos on the DB that were either backlit or cloudy. I also got 1 shot on from a sunny day.
Sounds like my set.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedeemer
RAILROAD PHOTOG GROUPIES

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
shanedeemer

There have been many threads on monitor calibration, all syaing to buy software, but never agreeing on a standard.

I'm not sure the screeners are calibrated with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
F. Is your monitor calibrated? Lets see some rejects.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Cool

Quote:
There have been many threads on monitor calibration, all syaing to buy software, but never agreeing on a standard.

I'm not sure the screeners are calibrated with each other.
Yada, yada, yada; let's see some rejects and we can get the analysis started and help you out.

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Shane, assuming you're the same Shane Deemer that has contributed a very nice collection of over 150 photo's, whats the big deal? Yea, you took all those photos from a very nice trip, and they got rejected? Did you have fun? If not, then you need to get RP out of your head. Shoot for yourself, not RP. When I go out railfanning I go out railfanning. I don't say to myself, "lets go get some shots for RP solely, I'm not having fun because I know they're going to get turned down". Who the hell cares if they get accepted or not. Try this, go railfanning without your camera, see if you're still into it. If not, you may need to change your priorities like I states before you go out and take shots. Remember, shoot for you not RP.

Ben
Old 02-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Silly me, didn't answer the original, intended question.

I upload to RP because when I shoot, more NOT than OFTEN I have some decent shots worth sharing with my fellow members here who in turn show me some of theirs.

Ben
Old 02-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
shanedeemer

Due to popular request, here is an example.

http://members.trainorders.com/usa46...pix/INDEXT.HTM

I drive 500 miles to Green Bay, Wisconsin and find one of 2 WC SD40s in the Green Bay Yard. I think it's worth shooting and sharing with the world, so I take a picture and upload it.

30 times later over a week (I only have 6 here), they accept it. Aside from the color, it was also rejected for bad angle and once PEQ.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
It's even more aggravating to see other photos, composed exactly the same accepted, but mine is rejected for something like “bad color” or “bad contrast.”
#1 RP cliche.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
ccaranna

This is the site's ruling on roster shots, taken directly from the "Detailed Photo Submission Guidelines"

Roster Shots:

Properly exposed, non-front coupled roster shots are accepted and welcome. Front coupled roster shots (engine coupled to another engine or cut of cars) are not accepted unless the subject material is rare or unusual.

While your edits are fine, for most people the subject material isn't rare or unusual. We appreciate that you drove a long distance to capture that locomotive, but in a broader sense it doesn't have mass appeal at RP.net. I think perhaps it may find a happy home on a site dedicated to WC locomotives. It's a photo that can be filed away for a while (upwards of 30 years) and could get accepted at a (much) later date. Still, there's not much of the surrounding area that would make it interesting someday. How do we know it's Green Bay, Milwaukee, Madison, or Miami?

As for the answer of the original question why I submit here:

Not sure why. Habit I suppose. Maybe I forgot to take my medication. Maybe I need a good whipping. Maybe it's been a while since I got overly worked up about something. Who knows. Could be that you get more views here, but I really don't care about that anymore. Still, I haven't uploaded anything for at least a half year, and I haven't taken any decent pictures worthy of uploading in months.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
ccaranna

I need to add that I misread the RP.net roster shot guideline...

It says front coupled roster shots are acceptable only if the subject is rare or unsual. My bad. Still, the general and often (mis)understood guidelines here are pretty strict as far as roster shots are concerned. Even front uncoupled roster shots need to be absolutely perfect or of rare material.

Maybe they need to update the guidelines regarding roster shots. It's a little misleading....
Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #14
travsirocz

Quote:
Due to popular request, here is an example.

http://members.trainorders.com/usa46...pix/INDEXT.HTM

I drive 500 miles to Green Bay, Wisconsin and find one of 2 WC SD40s in the Green Bay Yard. I think it's worth shooting and sharing with the world, so I take a picture and upload it.

30 times later over a week (I only have 6 here), they accept it. Aside from the color, it was also rejected for bad angle and once PEQ.
Attempt 1 look good processing wise maybe slightly saturated. Over sharpened powerlines. The composition is poor to me. It is a roster shot with powerlines, trees, boring building and a dirt foreground. Nothing you could do about it but I don't think it is rp material. Rare, no. http://www.railpictures.net/showphot...mber=WC%206005 3 pages of that one engine.

What's this?
Image © Shane G Deemer
PhotoID: 258840
Photograph © Shane G Deemer

Lets see your latest rejections!
Old 02-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #15
JRMDC

Based on a very limited sample of the one webpage of shots, my current hypothesis is that

Quote:
B. Your photos may not be as good as you think they are.
E. In the end you may improve drastically, and then you may not.
If you take 1000s of shots and have none for RP, then, sorry to be blunt, but you are just not understanding some basic principles of photography and/or post processing. People struggle sometimes as newbies to RP, but on the other hand it just isn't THAT hard to do it. So, you are not getting it, you are not learning. This forum can help you, if you are willing.

Again, it can be a pain to learn but it isn't that hard. But if you start to think that the issue is that monitors are not calibrated across screeners, that is an indicator to me that your frustration has resulted in some closed-mindedness, an unwillingness to believe that it is you that is the problem. If you take that many shots and have six on RP, then, hey, it's harsh, but the problem is you.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #16
ccaranna

Quote:
What's this?
Image © Shane G Deemer
PhotoID: 258840
Photograph © Shane G Deemer
That's lovely. The pic is already in the database.

I quit these forums. What a waste of time.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #17
JRMDC

Quote:
Chuck, he did say, see the quote above, that the picture eventually got in.

Shane, regarding your question in the title of this thread, we all post to RP for various reasons, but that is influenced by the fact that, while we all get rejections, we don't get as many as you. Your perception of the RP screening experience does not match those of thousands of other photographers. It is you. I harp on this because it isn't clear to me that you know it is you; it isn't clear to me that you are open to help. Happy to do it, are you receptive?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #18
ccaranna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Chuck, he did say, see the quote above, that the picture eventually got in.
My bad x2. Ouch. I need to strike my posts from this thread, except for the part about updating the rules about roster shots.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #19
ssw9662

As for the original thread subject: I post to RP for exposure and publication opportunities. It isn't much of a secret that many magazines look to this website to find photos to publish. I have gotten a couple of nice publication offers from people who found my photos here and wished to use them. Other than that submitting to RP isn't too much of a priority for me anymore. If they like my work, that's fine, if they don't, that's fine as well. Quite honestly most of my favorite railroad photos are ones that were either rejected from here or ones that I never bothered to submit, but then again that's just my opinion and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder as far as photography is concerned.

I will credit this site for helping me significantly improve my knowledge of the technical aspects of photography.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr

Last edited by ssw9662; 02-07-2009 at 08:26 PM.
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
Freericks
Met Fan

My experience has been that roster shots are incredibly difficult to get in... epsecially if the unit still exists (even if it's a one of a kind, if it's something easy for others who live closer to photograph, it has two strikes against it when it is first submitted).

If the unit was scrapped some time ago, or no longer wears the paint scheme you caught it in, the odds go way up for it, but even still, I don't personally believe that roster shots are what they are looking for.

Here are three of mine that were rejected... all for similar to previous shot... Although none of the previous shots that they refered to were roster shots, but were all full train images. And in one case, I think two weeks had passed between the uploads.

But that being said, I think all three are solid roster shots and not one was accepted (I point this out not as a complaint, but to demonstrate how hard it is for a roster shot to get in.)

http://freericks.rrpicturearchives.n...aspx?id=921837

http://freericks.rrpicturearchives.n...spx?id=1461773

http://freericks.rrpicturearchives.n...spx?id=1474452

CF
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #21
ExNavyDoc

I post photos here because I want to improve my photography skills, and help train my artistic "eye".

I like having a standard against which I measure my efforts. While this site is not the only standard, I believe it is a very good one, nonetheless.

A shot accepted here has at least met minimum standards of exposure, sharpness, color, and composition, for the most part.

I like the ability to get feedback and constructive criticism from the members of the site, many of whom are really very, very good at this; far above my skill and artistic level.

I wish I had a resource like this when I was a kid back in the 70's. Maybe not so many of my shots from back then would have been so crappy.

Mike

My RP.net Photos Here

My Smugmug Galleries Here
ExNavyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #22
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
#1 RP cliche.
Cliche, but true at times.

Travis lists valid points, Shane.

If you really want to improve, or at least discover what works on RP, both with screeners and the audience then compare your best rejected photos to the photos that have gotten a PC, POTW or perhaps an SC.

Better yet - if you are willing - post some rejected photos.

Are they sharp?
Well lit?
Tend to follow the rule of thirds?
Taken in good weather, or effectively otherwise where anything but sun over your shoulders enhances the photo?
Are they dynamic or exciting?
Are they flat and dull or were you able to capture images with bright contrasting colors and /or shades?

Good luck.

You may have photos that simply don't suit RP but likely you have a skill set that can be improved. It's easy to get a photo into RP, the challenge is to get a photo worth clicking for a view.

/Mitch
Stop, look and comment!
Click Here but not HERE to see my photos on RP.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #23
travsirocz

He has many very nice shots here. http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=111
Old 02-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #24
JRMDC

Quote:
Hmm, very odd approach to the forum. Shane, what is up? I am confused.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #25
M.L.Gabert

Quote:
Needless to say, I’ve started questioning why I bother to upload photos. Maybe it’s because I have too much time on my hands or I enjoy torturing myself to appease the screeners.

Frustrating, isn't it . I think what I like about RP is that the site is very well arranged and accessible, as in finding photo's in certain locations. The screening process can at times be very unforgiving. I see a lot of pics and think "why did that make it in" but you've got to remember, it's there site, no different than if you submitted to Railfan Railroad, Trains, or even Mr. John Bromley, UP calendar. Although if submitted some of these pay for your photo's. I've asked myself "why painstakedly process, upload, and wait for my rejection." I think most that RP has done for me is notice sun angle's and light. RP can be a "bittersweet" experience though, sometimes I'll get so into making the "right shot" that railfaning becomes not fun, but very frustrating. This is when I wonder if it's worth the effort to upload to RP, when it's not fun anymore. Just my .02˘.

Last edited by M.L.Gabert; 02-07-2009 at 11:40 PM.
M.L.Gabert is offline   Reply With Quote