Old 01-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
MDH

Default Help me understand something...

In the past I'd tried submitting some "wintery" shots that I thought were interesting for one reason or another but have been uniformly shot down by "poor lighting, common power" rejects due to overcast skies / light snow, etc. So this morning I noticed these three in a row:

Image © Steve Schmollinger
PhotoID: 267115
Photograph © Steve Schmollinger

PhotoID: 267116

Image © J. Alex Lang - www.jalexlang.com
PhotoID: 267117
Photograph © J. Alex Lang - www.jalexlang.com

All of which look to me to fit the same bill. I'm not knocking these shots per se - I like them and they're not bad pictures, but am curious - what am I "not getting" about these shots that gets them in the DB vs. a "poor lighting, common power" reject? I'm still trying to figure out how to achieve good photography in less than ideal conditions so I'm looking for "educational" vs. just a "complaint" thread. Aside from the "I know what I like when I see it" aspect, what makes for a good shot in snow/cloudy/overcast weather?
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

The only thing you're not getting is the same screener. There are approximately 5 guys doing the screening here - assuming they were each 100% consistent, you can only assume you'll get the same rejection reasons 20% of the time... especially for shots like that which could go either way.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Lets see your shot or shots and getting cloudy snow shots in is a lot harder. Helps to mark the SNOW box on up loading, and having snow falling at the time you shoot to.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Steve gets a lot of shots on that don't fit the bill here. Tell you the truth, I don't think they fit the bill in is own collection of spectaclar shots. I would really need to see some of your shots to see how they compare. Mr. Lang's shot is composed nicely with the signal for interest and the colors are on the money.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
MDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
I would really need to see some of your shots to see how they compare.
That's entirely fair. So far my accepted shots are pretty uniformly "sunny" - the only one I've gotten accepted that isn't sunny or a night shot is this:

Image © Michael Harding
PhotoID: 260392
Photograph © Michael Harding

I have a few that I like that I'll try uploading or linking to this thread tonight so you all can rip them apart.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
M.L.Gabert

Talking

[quote=MDH]In the past I'd tried submitting some "wintery" shots that I thought were interesting for one reason or another but have been uniformly shot down by "poor lighting, common power" rejects due to overcast skies / light snow, etc. So this morning I noticed these three in a row:

All of which look to me to fit the same bill. I'm not knocking these shots per se - I like them and they're not bad pictures, but am curious - what am I "not getting" about these shots that gets them in the DB vs. a "poor lighting, common power" reject? QUOTE]

It's all in the name, all in the name. No offense to Steve per-say but, if he posted a shot of an apple on a track, in high sun, backlit, with bug's on it, I think it would make it in.
M.L.Gabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
MDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH
I have a few that I like that I'll try uploading or linking to this thread tonight so you all can rip them apart.
OK - when I saw it was snowing at lunch I decided to 'take my frustration outside and try to do better' and came up with this:

Image © Michael Harding
PhotoID: 267173
Photograph © Michael Harding

So I guess I'll just shut up and go away now...

To try to add something usefull - I've been contemplating those other shots and I think if I can generalize any difference between those and ones I've had rejected, it's composition and/or other elements of interest - particularly with the signals, etc. in the one shot. I'd also add that initial exposure and post processing is a bit trickier than a simple "sunny" shot and I've been experimenting there more lately.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-14-2009, 03:52 AM   #8
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Talking

[quote=M.L.Gabert]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH
In the past I'd tried submitting some "wintery" shots that I thought were interesting for one reason or another but have been uniformly shot down by "poor lighting, common power" rejects due to overcast skies / light snow, etc. So this morning I noticed these three in a row:

All of which look to me to fit the same bill. I'm not knocking these shots per se - I like them and they're not bad pictures, but am curious - what am I "not getting" about these shots that gets them in the DB vs. a "poor lighting, common power" reject? QUOTE]

It's all in the name, all in the name. No offense to Steve per-say but, if he posted a shot of an apple on a track, in high sun, backlit, with bug's on it, I think it would make it in.
...... I completely agree, there are some folk out there that could get a picture of their thumb published in one form or another.....

-- Kevin
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
JimThias

[quote=TheRoadForeman]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L.Gabert

...... I completely agree, there are some folk out there that could get a picture of their thumb published in one form or another.....

-- Kevin
I certainly wouldn't reject a well-lit female thumb.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote