Old 10-21-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
Cjbdiesel
Senior Member
 
Cjbdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 143
Default Cropping/Exposure

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...46&key=6077680

I don't want to light it up a whole lot nor do I want it dark. As for the cropping, it's the original frame. Should I use a shot from down the grade a bit or??
__________________
Angering the community, one picture at a time
Cjbdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,899
Default

If this indeed is uncropped straight from the camera, then you need an earlier frame. The train is a bit too in your face. Plus, I think it neds to be taller vertically to show more plume and not feel so cramped. Hopefully an earlier frame won't have that errant tree limb in the shot. The pilot is also almost touching the bottom of the frame.

As for the exposure, some light brightness and contrast and maybe some basic shadow and highlight work should fix that.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
BobE
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 185
Default

This is a tough one. For starters, the brightest point in the image - headlight - is almost dead center. I agree with Joe that an earlier frame would give you a better vertical composition, but I like the high angle pov. That would effectively be lower if the train is further away. Might work if you stand a couple feet to the right or left.

Caption note: you say 98 is getting "a little help from a friend" but you don't say who or what the friend is.
BobE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Does nothing for me.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
Cjbdiesel
Senior Member
 
Cjbdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobE View Post
This is a tough one. For starters, the brightest point in the image - headlight - is almost dead center. I agree with Joe that an earlier frame would give you a better vertical composition, but I like the high angle pov. That would effectively be lower if the train is further away. Might work if you stand a couple feet to the right or left.

Caption note: you say 98 is getting "a little help from a friend" but you don't say who or what the friend is.
It's a diesel helper but putting that into the description will cause someone to get a little hurt in the rear end.
__________________
Angering the community, one picture at a time
Cjbdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:49 AM   #6
Cjbdiesel
Senior Member
 
Cjbdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 143
Default

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...15&key=4030462

This is another shot I tried. They got me with unlevel the first go. I feel the crop is a bit tight on this one. Opinions?
__________________
Angering the community, one picture at a time
Cjbdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:43 AM   #7
BobE
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 185
Default

Agree - a bit tight for RP, but I have problems with overall composition. You have a snapshot, not a well-thought-out photograph. I could expound further, but I've probably already said too much.
BobE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjbdiesel View Post
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...15&key=4030462

This is another shot I tried. They got me with unlevel the first go. I feel the crop is a bit tight on this one. Opinions?
It is still unlevel. Look how much #98's cell antenna is leaning.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
Cjbdiesel
Senior Member
 
Cjbdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobE View Post
Agree - a bit tight for RP, but I have problems with overall composition. You have a snapshot, not a well-thought-out photograph. I could expound further, but I've probably already said too much.
When you're part of the train crew, have 207 people crowding around you and have 5 minutes to get ready to leave, you can't set up the master shot of a lifetime...
__________________
Angering the community, one picture at a time
Cjbdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjbdiesel View Post
When you're part of the train crew, have 207 people crowding around you and have 5 minutes to get ready to leave, you can't set up the master shot of a lifetime...
Maybe someone on the crew shouldn't be taking pictures? You could probably get in trouble for that....
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
Maybe someone on the crew shouldn't be taking pictures? You could probably get in trouble for that....
In trouble by whom? I see excursion crews milling around their parked train all the time, what difference does it make if one of them lifts a camera and snaps a pic?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
In trouble by whom? I see excursion crews milling around their parked train all the time, what difference does it make if one of them lifts a camera and snaps a pic?
I was messing with him. We really need a sarcasm font.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
I was messing with him. We really need a sarcasm font.
This one usually works well:


JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #14
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
This one usually works well:


There ya go. Lol.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:28 AM   #15
Cjbdiesel
Senior Member
 
Cjbdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 143
Default

Trust me, I got the talk of a lifetime about Unionized railroads and cameras. Lucky for me, as long as the Conductor gives the OK and we're not neglecting our duties, we're allowed to shoot away.

Derek - I had the same reaction as Jim. They really do need a sarcasm font.
__________________
Angering the community, one picture at a time
Cjbdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #16
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjbdiesel View Post
Derek - I had the same reaction as Jim. They really do need a sarcasm font.
*Insert sarcasm font here*

Were you at least wearing a reflective vest?
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:26 AM   #17
Cjbdiesel
Senior Member
 
Cjbdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
*Insert sarcasm font here*

Were you at least wearing a reflective vest?
Suuuuuuure.
__________________
Angering the community, one picture at a time
Cjbdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.