Old 02-14-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
dandtsrr

Default Another new member looking for guidance.

I am a new member that has submitted several photos that have all been rejected. "Bad Cropping" is one I have gotten before and I got it on the first photo also. The second photo got a comment to the effect of "Cluttered foreground." The foreground is cluttered but it is all railroad related so this puzzled me a little. Any suggestions for the attached regarding cropping or otherwise would be appreciated. I am trying to get a feel for what the board is looking for. Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 488 at Osier 1.JPG (124.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Durango and Silverton 482 Through Roundhouse.JPG (123.3 KB, 136 views)
dandtsrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
Ween

For the first one, it's a nice shot, but there's a little too much dead space on the left of the frame. Crop that tighter and you should be good to go.

The second one, while all foreground objects are rail-related, it's just too distracting. It's just like a train behind a crossing gate arm. It's rail-related, but it's distracting.

If you want to see what's being accepted, look through the database, starting with the newest entries. That'll give you a good idea and save you some possible headache.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
For the first one, it's a nice shot, but there's a little too much dead space on the left of the frame. Crop that tighter and you should be good to go.

Just to follow up what Ween said, the first shot is really nice with good color. One additional thing that is working against this photo is it seems like a "high sun" rejectable photo. I've been wrong in the past, but it just appears the sun is directly above the train.

I've had many of rejections (as most RP.net contributors have), it takes time to learn what RP wants and doesn't want. While I keep it in mind while shooting, I don't revolve my hobby completely around a website. What fits (or what I think fits) their standards I submit. The other sit on my computer or hang on my wall in the study (wow, how's that for some English?).
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
busyEMT

On picture one, I agree with both previous opinions.

On picture two, you may get away with cropping out the open spaces of either side of the main door. As is, the door frame on the right takes a big chunk of the engine out - unsettling to the viewer. Leave a bit of both door frames; let the inside of the doors "frame" the shot. Level the top of the door (if it doesn't make the locomotive appear unlevel) and leave the tracks into the door you occupy.

We know this is a steam engine, the engineer leaning out gives a focal point with interest, and it will be clear that you are in/at a roundhouse.

Nice photos.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

Don't really have anything else to add as these gents covered it. I did want to say I really like the first photo though and hope it gets in after cropping it up a bit.
VirginiaSouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
Crusader

Like both these photos alot.

Photo 1. Re-crop as others have suggested. General rule is that placing the subject dead center of the pic creates "dead space"... which is a "don't." Am hoping the sun angle won't be a problem...especially given the nature of the subject.

Photo 2. Perhaps the cab section as a vertical crop? Just a thought. Maybe darken the background roof and foliage a touch.

Good luck.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:44 AM   #7
dandtsrr

[quote=Christopher Muller]...One additional thing that is working against this photo is it seems like a "high sun" rejectable photo. I've been wrong in the past, but it just appears the sun is directly above the train.

As Christopher Muller stated the first picture is at a high sun angle but unfortunately there really is no way to avoid this occurrance at this location. The trains are only at this location at lunch time as this is in the exact center of the line where both trains meet. When I ride this train I scarf my food and then head down to the locomotives in an attempt to get some unobstructed views of the locomotives and their trains. I will explain the high sun angle in the remarks (more briefly that stated here) though I do not know if that will help or not.

Thank you to those that commented. The information has been helpful and I will try the suggestions that have been made and resubmit the photos. There is one other clarification on cropping the photos that I would like to have answered though. When cropping the left side of the photo as in the first example to get rid of the dead space would you need to take some off of the top and/or bottom in an attempt to preserve the original proportions of the photo?
dandtsrr is offline   Reply With Quote