Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Joe the Photog

Smile The List

One of the things we always hear about Railpictures is The List. No, it's not called that, but it seems everyone who has a problem with RP's screening eventually blames it on some varition of, "I guess I just don't have the right name." Now that clearly indicates that there must be a list somewhere of people for whom the screening process is lax. Which begs the question of: Where is The list? Perhaps it's a RP Elite perk. Become a member and see The List.

Maybe just becoming an Elite member puts you on The List. I tend to doubt it though. I think of RP Elite being a trendy club that people like me who don't pay can't get in. I'm out at the velvet rope wondering if maybe I'm not dressed hip enough or what. Meanwhile, my hunch is that the RP Elite folks get in and are having a good time and everything, but that there's still a VIP room upstairs that they can't ge in. They're not on The list.

Still, it would be nice to be able to see The List. Maybe the admins can pin it to the top of the forum thread list at the same time they pin Chases's tutorial.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
magicman_841

I was an Elite member for a while and could not see any differences with regard to the screening of my photos.

I want to believe that there is no "list" and that everybody is treated on the same grounds, but I do very often see pictures that make me go "oh, if I posted this, I'd get a PEQ". It's an ego defence, I guess.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

All the photographers from WV are on the list, because we rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
I was an Elite member for a while and could not see any differences with regard to the screening of my photos.
Same here. My acceptance rate is higher since I stopped being an Elite member. I do miss the free massages though.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
All the photographers from WV are on the list, because we rock.

Same here. My acceptance rate is higher since I stopped being an Elite member. I do miss the free massages though.

Loyd L.
Thanks for leveling with us Dr. Lowry
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
KevinM

Hi Joe,

I think that the perception that a "List" exists has a lot to do with the fact that none of us can see anyone else's rejections unless they choose to post them. I think that if we could, the perceptions would change a fair bit. Many of us communicate back-channel with other RP'ers, and I do as well. Rather than post every last frustration on the forums, we sometimes prefer to discuss them among smaller groups of like-minded folks. I can tell you from some of those back-channel discussions that people with "names" get rejections. People with talents far beyond anything I'll ever have sometimes get strings of them. Occasionally, they get rather sick and tired of RP. Fortunately, they persist and overcome.

Sure, it happens that once in a while that someone with a "name" submits a zinger and it slips through. I'm just not sure it happens because there is any hard "List" of folks who are singled out for preferential treatment. I think that what you are seeing is either inconsistency between screeners, or a screener who had a boat-load of to-dos on his plate and screening pictures for RP was just another thing on that to-do list....meaning yeah, sometimes they pay less attention than other times.

If there is indeed a "List", I suspect it is a lot shorter than you think......and I am most definitely not on it.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
JimThias

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I hear some big names complaining elsewhere, so I don't think there is a "list."
Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #8
Cjbdiesel

I'm on the list. My grand total of 6 photo's makes me an executive...
Cjbdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

I would believe that there is no "list", but admin/screeners have stated in the forums at least a few years ago that photos from very regular contributors with very high acceptance rates don't get looked at as hard as say a noob. It makes sense to me, but I also see what I would consider those same "regular contributors", with not knowing acceptance rates, etc., coming to the forums for help/suggestions occasionally and it just tells me that we are all human.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Joe the Photog

Perhaps the sarcasm in my post wasn't as apparent as I intended.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Perhaps the sarcasm in my post wasn't as apparent as I intended.
He who laughs last didn't get the joke.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote