Old 02-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Daniel SIMON
Banned

Default PEQ - Opinions welcome

Team,

The picture below has been PEQ'ed. I personally thought that this photo depicts a good railroad athmosphere of the GDR in the 1970's. May be the train is too small or too far away from the action. Your opinion will be most appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=987212481
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

That's an interesting photo, but the train is about the 20th most interesting thing in it. I would guess it needs more train, ideally the engine.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

There are plenty of "people on the platform" photos on the database, but they tend to be photos of a train with people waiting in the photo. Your photo appears the other way around of a photo of people with a train that just happens to be in the background.

Maybe if you had a different angle, like from your right more WITH the train closer. I understand the story of the photo, but the lady waving goodbye is also blocked by the man with the briefcase.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
There are plenty of "people on the platform" photos on the database, but they tend to be photos of a train with people waiting in the photo. Your photo appears the other way around of a photo of people with a train that just happens to be in the background.

Maybe if you had a different angle, like from your right more WITH the train closer. I understand the story of the photo, but the lady waving goodbye is also blocked by the man with the briefcase.
I agree with everything said here. That mde my post pretty easy.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Slickrick339889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I agree with everything said here. That mde my post pretty easy.
Were you one of those kids who, in school, always answered the teacher's questions as, "I agree with him," if you didn't have an answer? I'm not arguing you didn't have those thoughts, but that's just what your post made me think of. I always loved those kids.
Slickrick339889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick339889 View Post
Were you one of those kids who, in school, always answered the teacher's questions as, "I agree with him," if you didn't have an answer? I'm not arguing you didn't have those thoughts, but that's just what your post made me think of. I always loved those kids.
What he said.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
mark woody

Jim only 97 behind and catching.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
What he said.
What Thias said... actually, I agree, had the train been closer, it would have probably worked for the site.

Anyone else hear the Mission Impossible theme song when looking at this shot (the Peter Graves version, not the Tom Cruise one)?
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick339889 View Post
No, and I never have called into some radio show and said, "Mega dittoes, fat guy." Or anything like that. I generally don't agree with anybody, even myself.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark woody View Post
Jim only 97 behind and catching.
Actually, I was ahead for quite a while until last summer when I took a few months off from the forum...to let him pass me.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 02-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #11
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb "I" don't run with the other sheep.

None of the people in your shot are facing the camera.

Big problem with people pictures, if you are going to include them, you need faces, not butts.

Also your story is lacking.

""Volkspolizei" was performing some controls" - you need to explain what the term "controls" means and I suggest you translate the "Volkspolizei[.]"

Is that people police, or people's police?

Also, the composition would be better if the train were a lot closer and not so far out of the station.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 02-24-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
Daniel SIMON
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post

Big problem with people pictures, if you are going to include them, you need faces, not butts.

Also your story is lacking.

""Volkspolizei" was performing some controls" - you need to explain what the term "controls" means and I suggest you translate the "Volkspolizei[.]"

Is that people police, or people's police?

Also, the composition would be better if the train were a lot closer and not so far out of the station.

The Volkspolizei (German for the "people's police"), or VoPo, were the national police of the German Democratic Republic. The Volkspolizei were responsible for most law enforcement in East Germany, but its organisation and structure were such that it could be considered a paramilitary force as well. Unlike typical police in most countries, they were equipped with armoured personnel carriers and artillery and trained as military units.

Having said that, many thanks to all of you guys for your input. I agree with all of your comments. This picture will remain in my personnal collection.
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
The Volkspolizei were responsible for most law enforcement in East Germany, but its organisation and structure were such that it could be considered a paramilitary force as well.
Did they keep you from shooting and you shot after they turned there backs? If so put that in the appeal if you decide to try later. Putting a appeal in stating why its like it is will at times help as you can't go back in time to do it as the E. G. is long gone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post

Not to say that a posed photo of "Little Jr", with a big cheesy grin on his face in front of Thomas waving at the camera isn't a memorable moment to Mom&Dad, but IMO they aren't aesthetic photos. I would rather see a candid photo of "Jr" maybe taking in his first railfanning adventure with Dad or something of the likes. These are actually the photos that I usually "favorite" if you want to look through my favs:
http://www.railpictures.net/members/...e.php?id=14065

To relate this to a photo of passengers waiting on a train, or waving goodbye to a family member on the train, the story of the photo is exactly that. Not looking at the guy with the camera while the train comes in, or their son goes off to war, etc.

This is decent, it just didn't work out as I stated in my previous post. The train just kind of "Waldos" into the photo, and the woman waving at a loved one still on the train or whatever to case may be is block by the gentleman. If their positions were reversed, and the train were still at the station with a more of a "wedge" angle from Daniel, I think we would see this in the DB. This would also depend on the placement of the Volkspolizei nearest the tracks not becoming a foreground obstruction.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #15
troy12n
Banned

Who knows, this got a PEQ, and a similar shot I saw here a while back got a screeners choice. I like your shot if that matters.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=605322342
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Who knows, this got a PEQ, and a similar shot I saw here a while back got a screeners choice. I like your shot if that matters.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=605322342
Did you get a shot with the nose of the loco lit up before it entered the tunnel?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #17
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Did you get a shot with the nose of the loco lit up before it entered the tunnel?
Yea, when I get home I will post it up, it got rejected too, but it has gone out of my rejected photos list. I was going to post about it, but I have been on "vacation"...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote