Old 12-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
Bruce Budris

Default Looking for feedback...

So the following photo of mine was rejected for "Going Away". Which it is. However, I have a number of other "going away" photos for which this didn't appear to be an issue. In light of that, it's really being dinged for lacking artistic merit. While it's not standard issue material, I think it does a fairly compelling job of capturing winter morning rail along the Hudson River. But of course I would think that So my question is: Have I fallen prey to becoming enamored with my own photo when, in fact, it's really neither compelling nor very good? I welcome any critical thoughts you may have.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=5438044
Bruce Budris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Your image clearly falls under the artistic exception in the rule. There is a lot positive that can be said about the image. But that said, the fact the train is going away deprives it of the headlights would typically be a point of visual focus in a scene like that, and perhaps help define the fact that all the bright stuff is a train. The cropping also probably could be tightened. As it is, the image just doesn't work for me as much as I like the lighting and the general idea. It's kind of sad, because if the train had been coming toward you I think you could have had (with some cropping) a gang busters picture. But in this case, at least for me, that little detail makes a huge difference.

Last edited by John West; 12-14-2015 at 09:54 PM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
Bruce Budris

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
Your image clearly falls under the artistic exception in the rule. There is a lot positive that can be said about the image. But that said, the fact the train is going away deprives it of the headlights would typically be a point of visual focus in a scene like that, and perhaps help define the fact that all the bright stuff is a train. The cropping also probably could be tightened. As it is, the image just doesn't work for me as much as I like the lighting and the general idea. It's kind of sad, because if the train had been coming toward you I think you could have had (with some cropping) a gang busters picture. But in this case, at least for me, that little detail makes a huge difference.
Thanks John. You are right about the lack of headlights as a detractor. I didn't notice that as a missing element - but I see it now. It would have brought a more compelling focus to the photo.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
KevinM

I am thinking along the same lines as John. You have a great "stage" here with the overall landscape and lighting, but the "show" on that stage isn't very interesting at all. It's the top of a cut-off, back-lit freight train. No color, no interesting details, no crewmember visible, no logos, no headlights.....nothing to command my attention. If it had been a steam locomotive, with a long, fluffy white plume, or if I could see the back platform of a caboose with a conductor staring off into space, that might have made the shot. But the top of a diesel-powered freight? It's just not the same.

I would definitely not "spend" an appeal on this one. Admin has only so much tolerance for those, and I don't think you would want to push the wrong button with this one.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:11 PM   #5
Noct Foamer

Crop it as a vertical. How come nobody sees verticals any more?

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:43 PM   #6
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
How come nobody sees verticals any more?
Same reason Hollywood doesn't do vertical movies.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:43 PM   #7
RobJor

Quote:

Kent in SD
Seems to be made for Vertical, following the length of the river, lot of padding to left so a crop would be easy. As it is now it seems more square which is not attractive. If there are more shots, we all do that?, then maybe the lead unit in the first curve or even up by second curve so we are not looking for the train. ??

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #8
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
They can work?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=555374&nseq=3

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...537624&nseq=26

Sorry, plugging my photos. Smile

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:09 AM   #9
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Question

Quote:

Kent in SD
My last two submissions were verticals. I like verticals. They were accepted by the censors. But maybe that is why they got so few hits.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:22 AM   #10
Bruce Budris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Seems to be made for Vertical, following the length of the river, lot of padding to left so a crop would be easy. As it is now it seems more square which is not attractive. If there are more shots, we all do that?, then maybe the lead unit in the first curve or even up by second curve so we are not looking for the train. ??

Bob
If I had been paying attention to what I was doing I would have more shots to work with (although still "going away"). Shortly after this shot I changed to my 150-600 Tamron to pick up the distant curves - and then proceeded to grossly overexposure the subsequent images. Also, I don't find that lens to be particularly sharp never mind trying to use it handheld after a long pre-dawn drive with way too much coffee. Next time I'll set up a tripod.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:33 AM   #11
Bruce Budris

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I am thinking along the same lines as John. You have a great "stage" here with the overall landscape and lighting, but the "show" on that stage isn't very interesting at all. It's the top of a cut-off, back-lit freight train. No color, no interesting details, no crewmember visible, no logos, no headlights.....nothing to command my attention. If it had been a steam locomotive, with a long, fluffy white plume, or if I could see the back platform of a caboose with a conductor staring off into space, that might have made the shot. But the top of a diesel-powered freight? It's just not the same.

I would definitely not "spend" an appeal on this one. Admin has only so much tolerance for those, and I don't think you would want to push the wrong button with this one.
Thanks for your insights, Kevin. It's helpful to get some critical feedback. I think I had become too attached to the light and atmosphere of the photo to be willing to acknowledge the compositional flaws - which I see now.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:50 AM   #12
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
My last two submissions were verticals. I like verticals. They were accepted by the censors. But maybe that is why they got so few hits.
Hi John,

I think if you submitted 10 verticals and 10 landscapes, all with more or less the same material, you'd find that the verticals would get substantially fewer views. I can only speculate as to why. Same thing with Black and White. I love a good Black and White, but the RP audience generally ignores them in a big way. Sure, you will find a winner here and there, but if you want to up your odds of bombing on RP.....post a Black and White Vertical!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
No, this is why idiots shouldn't create vertical videos with their cell phones. Vertical video will be the downfall of our society!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hi John,

I think if you submitted 10 verticals and 10 landscapes, all with more or less the same material, you'd find that the verticals would get substantially fewer views. I can only speculate as to why. Same thing with Black and White. I love a good Black and White, but the RP audience generally ignores them in a big way.

I'm really not motivated by "views." Tastes come & go. I'm more interested in pushing myself to make images I'm happiest with.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #15
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Red face

Quote:
I'm really not motivated by "views." Tastes come & go. I'm more interested in pushing myself to make images I'm happiest with.

Kent in SD
I'm that way too but not by choice.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #16
Andrew Crosby

You've already received the real advice - just want to add my two cents since I know this location quite well. While not RP material this is a unique Storm King shot, with some really nice touches. Bad luck you got a south bound instead of a north bound, and some other things make this a tough location, especially in December, but you still show a real nice touch for the place.
Andrew Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:46 AM   #17
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
No, this is why idiots shouldn't create vertical videos with their cell phones. Vertical video will be the downfall of our society!
Too late - the downfall of our society has already happened and it was what created the idiots that create vertical videos! Actually vertical videos might be a semi-intelligent choice for recording a squirrel running up a phone pole - so long as it doesn't decide to run along a wire strung from it - but that's about the only time!
Old 12-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #18
Mgoldman

Dittos, Bruce.

Great location, great light, nicely exposed - I do agree with you that all trumps the going away issue.

My thoughts upon seeing it:

Dennis Livesey would tell me - "tenacity" - go back until you get it right (southbound train).

Though....

Odd crop - a bit tall and squarish. I'd recompose the photo - either chop some of the bottom off (you'll still have the river), or go vertical to better spotlight the train. Worth
an appeal, I think.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:09 AM   #19
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
Too late - the downfall of our society has already happened and it was what created the idiots that create vertical videos!
Damn...hadn't thought of that, but it definitely explains it!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote