Old 12-31-2016, 06:48 AM   #1
John Russell - NZ

Default Glossary of photo rejection reasons

Perhaps a comprehensive list or glossary of photo rejection reasons would be helpful. Despite site guidelines and one I found recently by Chase Gunnoe http://www.therailroadcollection.com...ginners-guide/, I still could do with some help now and then. A few of the reasons seem a little vague and imply that there is a technical fault with the photo submitted when it's probably just the scene for some rejections for color. One rejection today via e-mail notification says:
"Reason(s) for Rejection: - Color (Hue): The hue (color cast) of the photo is poor; i.e. there is too much of a certain color throughout the image. Please see the screener comments field for suggestions on how this may be fixed." Well as I don't normally get rejected images in 7 day gallery I couldn't see if there was a comment. At first this had me concerned that the white balance wasn't right. When I found no color cast correction difference in PSE, I realized it is just the train and sky color being too similar so it's the end of track for that one. There is also "bad color" rejection for poorly edited or over enhanced images, right?

Last edited by John Russell - NZ; 12-31-2016 at 06:56 AM.
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:25 AM   #2
SAR Connecta

http://forums.railpictures.net/showt...ection+reasons
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
John Russell - NZ

Thanks for this reply. I don't think I ever saw this before. It could be good for this to be expanded with perhaps even some examples as an attachment to the Detailed Photo Submission Guidelines.

In the case of color hue rejections I'm still not sure if it's supposed to be just a fault that could perhaps be corrected or an aesthetic reason. I don't care about my photo but for the future I would like to know if this is a way of filtering out shots the screener doesn't want to accept. I normally do try to keep in mind an interesting setting with good contrast with the train and avoid having much sky (which is so untrustworthy around here.)

I have seen another thread many months ago about such a rejection but could not see the rejected images. This forum provides an excellent data base for solving some of these issues but is let down somewhat by rejection images being held only 7 days (if at all.) Perhaps auto deletion can be over-ridden by admin if request sent that the image be retained when linked in a forum thread? I guess that attaching screen shots might be a option for now.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:58 PM   #4
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post

In the case of color hue rejections I'm still not sure if it's supposed to be just a fault that could perhaps be corrected or an aesthetic reason. I don't care about my photo but for the future I would like to know if this is a way of filtering out shots the screener doesn't want to accept. I normally do try to keep in mind an interesting setting with good contrast with the train and avoid having much sky (which is so untrustworthy around here.)
As a contributor who submits nothing but scans from slides, I almost always have to make color corrections in my processing, and I find that the white balance tools make the color different but not necessarily better. As I have stumbled through learning the art of digital processing, I have received many such rejections, and with a little careful perseverance, I have often, but not always, been able to correct the problem and have the image accepted. The point is that this is a correctable rejection, and I don't treat it as fatal.

Determining the problem is another matter, and only once, early on when I was just getting started on RP, did the screener give me a comment to guide me. A few "tricks" that have helped me include moving the saturation slider to its maximum, and look for dominant colors that permeate neutral areas. I've also had some success reducing individual color saturation to see if it makes the image look "better". I hope this helps.

Doug Lilly

Last edited by Decapod401; 01-01-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:06 AM   #5
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post

Determining the problem is another matter, and only once, early on when I was just getting started on RP, did the screener give ma a comment to guide me. A few "tricks" that have helped me include moving the saturation slider to its maximum, and look for dominant colors that permeate neutral areas. I've also had some success reducing individual color saturation to see if it makes the image look "better". I hope this helps.
What would really help would be an end to the guessing game. How long would it take for a screener to type in "too green" or "too magenta" ?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:45 AM   #6
John Russell - NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
What would really help would be an end to the guessing game. How long would it take for a screener to type in "too green" or "too magenta" ?
Yes indeed. I'm not that happy with AWB so I shoot RAW in Daylight and tune the white balance if necessary which I probably did on this one due to fading light so maybe got it too wrong. Color cast removal makes no significant difference in PSE so I doubt that is the problem. I don't currently get rejected images in gallery so here is screen shot with RGB graph original and then new version with more saturation for red/magenta:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-01-01 (2).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	9338   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-01-01 (3).jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	9339  
Old 01-01-2017, 02:53 AM   #7
John Russell - NZ

I'm quite pleased with the screen shot attachments which seem so far to come out under the maximum size allowed for JPG attachments. This gets around the problem of expired rejection images/ links or not having one in the first place.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:01 AM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post
It could be good for this to be expanded with perhaps even some examples as an attachment to the Detailed Photo Submission Guidelines.
Sadly, RP admin appear to be doing the minimum to keep the site going as it is. An updating of the Guidelines seems to be waaaaay too much to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
A few "tricks" that have helped me include moving the saturation slider to its maximum
Huh? Your software must be set up much differently than mine (PS Elements 14). If I kick the slider all the way I go beyond "candyland" into crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
It took years, but they are finally identifying whether a shot needs clockwise or counterclockwise! A few more years and we will have the color also.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:23 AM   #9
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
\

Huh? Your software must be set up much differently than mine (PS Elements 14). If I kick the slider all the way I go beyond "candyland" into crazy. \
Maybe I was somewhat less than explicit. Yes, I do go to Candyland to see what flavors are strongest, and then I return the slider to zero.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote