Old 09-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default Have you noticed?

Have you noticed that there are photographers that post but don't favorite, comment, or have any other interactions with the site. This really doesn't matter, but I have noticed it. It kinda bugs me that others and I will comment or favorite a lot of their photos but they never return the favor to anyone else. Your thoughts?

Last edited by travsirocz; 09-18-2008 at 05:42 PM.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
JRMDC

I tried to kick-start a discussion of this some time back, didn't really take.

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=7113

Ultimately, people will do what they do and there isn't a mechanism here for an RP "society" to establish social norms such as more frequent commenting.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Rui Nunes

Send a message via MSN to Rui Nunes

Although not exactly the subject i've noticed that despite the "Great shot! comments will not be accepted", they still manage to get in, on the pictures that are fortunate enough to receive some
- It doesn't make sense to speak seriously to someone who is joking. On the other hand, if you were joking I wouldn't take you seriously. It's a complicated situation, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rui_gv_nunes/
Rui Nunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Freericks
Met Fan

It's the nature of the beast... nothing to be done... nor needed to be done. I think more than half the comments on my pictures are probably "you-scratch-my-back, I-scratch-yours comments" that I got after leaving a comment on someone else's picture. And that's totally cool too. Love getting them anyway... but don't expect them, or any others.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I tried to kick-start a discussion of this some time back, didn't really take.

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=7113

Ultimately, people will do what they do and there isn't a mechanism here for an RP "society" to establish social norms such as more frequent commenting.
I get my fair share of comments and I give out a lot more. I am just focusing on the photographers that give no comments, no thank you's for comments, no favorites, etc. I even emailed one of them once with a question and never got a responds back. It is like they drop of their photos and leave without even browsing. I know that can't be changed, shouldn't be changed, and doesn't matter. I am just curious and maybe a little disappointed.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
lock4244

I make a habit of thanking anyone that leaves a comment on my pictures. I find that most often, I don't get a thanks when I leave a comment, but I also don't expect a thank-you. I wouldn't even think about thanking someone who favorites a shot of mine... that is a less personal process.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

In the rare occasion that I get a comment that's not something like ''Good shot'', or ''Nice photograph''. I always send an email.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
KevinM

I think it is the nature of public forums. The folks who post are a microcosm of society. Some look at other people's work and some are just looking for a place to post their own. It's all good.

Personally, I do look at other people's work....primarily the folks who like the same kinds of subjects as me, but I'll look at anything that catches my eye. And, as has been discussed in another thread, I do sometimes look at people's favorites....which may become favorites of mine as well.

I leave comments when something catches my eye. Sometimes its because the shot is exceptionally pretty or creative, but I also leave comments thanking photographers for showing me some little known operations that I may never visit. I don't expect anyone to comment on my pictures or favorite them in return. Such favors are most highly valued when they are freely offered.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #9
chris crook

"A good deed is its own reward."

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
bigbassloyd

I try to thank everyone that comments on my photos, although I sometimes forget, and for that I am sorry!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:44 AM   #11
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

I leave quite a few comments, and rarely get a "thank you" note back - I don't really think they're necessary. A few that I have gotten seemed to have been done so hastily it didn't seem like there was much of a point to it.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:22 AM   #12
Joey Bowman

I stopped leaving comments after one or two of mine got rejected, neither were "great shot" comments either. I thought it was ridiculous that a site would reject comments, what ever.

I add favorites when I think about it, though the only time I ever really get to look at the site is at school and I only sign in when I am going to be online for a prolonged period of time.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:50 AM   #13
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman
I stopped leaving comments after one or two of mine got rejected, neither were "great shot" comments either. I thought it was ridiculous that a site would reject comments, what ever.
We screen comments based on very easy-to-follow criteria outlined in the e-mail you receive if a comment is rejected. You are posting your comment for hundreds, if not thousands of people to read, so of course we're going to reject it if it doesn't meet the simple criteria for acceptance.

Spell the words correctly, use correct punctuation and capitalization, don't ask the photographer questions better suited to email (i.e. "When does this train come through every day?"), and post comments that are actually relevant to the photo (no, "I saw this train yesterday too and thought it was wayyy cool" is not relevant to the photo) and you'll be just fine.

We screen hundreds of photo comments every day. We don't have time to correct your grammar, spelling, punctuation, or anything else you overlooked while taking the 10 seconds to post your comment. Take a few extra seconds to look over what you're posting before you hit "submit," and ask yourself a few questions, and you shouldn't have any problems getting your comments posted.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:08 AM   #14
Northern Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
I leave quite a few comments, and rarely get a "thank you" note back - I don't really think they're necessary. A few that I have gotten seemed to have been done so hastily it didn't seem like there was much of a point to it.
And I appreciate every comment you leave.

I usually respond with a thank you to any comment left on my pictures. I have come not to expect a response to my comments but certainly so appreciate a thank you. As mentioned earlier this is a form of social networking.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:15 AM   #15
Ween

I don't reply with thank you notes. I figure when someone leaves a "Nice shot, Chris" comment, it's almost like they're thanking me for taking the shot and my photo that they enjoyed so much is saying, "You're welcome."*

*for those that can't read sarcasm/humor/intention with regards to posting on the internet, I'm not being serious!
Old 09-19-2008, 04:34 AM   #16
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

The ultimate railfan insult: "You're such a crappy foamer that you can't even get comments accepted on RailPictures.net!"
Old 09-19-2008, 04:41 AM   #17
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
The ultimate railfan insult: "You're such a crappy foamer that you can't even get comments accepted on RailPictures.net!"
.. and very applicable to more than a few individuals, in my experience screening comments.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:46 AM   #18
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Travis, thank you AND sorry.

I literally have time to process/submit, browse for a tad, post here and thats it. UPS has claimed my life, no joke. Ask anyone who works there who wants to move up from a simple loader to a driver and it's a P.I.T.A. I know I know, no excuse right? But I'm sorry, making a living off a dead end-for now job is a little more important. I make no money and have no time and get the run around from everyone there saying "don't worry, we'll get you out driving ASAP" but I've been hearing that everyday now for 6 months it's gettin old........but with a union and don't have to pay for FULL benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and LIFE.......you're kinda stuck. Stay with union!

Sorry, kinda went off on a tangent there.....I guess what I'm supposed to say and wanted to say before I went off is, I'll try to return the favor.

Ben
Old 09-19-2008, 04:52 AM   #19
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80
Travis, thank you AND sorry.

I literally have time to process/submit, browse for a tad, post here and thats it. UPS has claimed my life, no joke. Ask anyone who works there who wants to move up from a simple loader to a driver and it's a P.I.T.A. I know I know, no excuse right? But I'm sorry, making a living off a dead end-for now job is a little more important. I make no money and have no time and get the run around from everyone there saying "don't worry, we'll get you out driving ASAP" but I've been hearing that everyday now for 6 months it's gettin old........but with a union and don't have to pay for FULL benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and LIFE.......you're kinda stuck. Stay with union!

Sorry, kinda went off on a tangent there.....I guess what I'm supposed to say and wanted to say before I went off is, I'll try to return the favor.

Ben
I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone, but all of us here at RPnet forgive you.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:55 AM   #20
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

I come from a mother who, like me, naturally feels bad 200% of the time she has taught me well
Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #21
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
I think I actually put lol in a comment once wow ;Back when I first started submitting here.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:21 AM   #22
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Red face

I suspect some of this is seasonal. My excuse is I have been traveling with the family a lot, and my access to Railpix has been limited. Come the rainy season and I expect to both be posting more and commenting more.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #23
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
... and very applicable to more than a few individuals, in my experience screening comments.
That's just this hobby. Worldwide, most rail enthusiasts are foamers. They are like metal shavings to a magnet when that Steam Locomotive whistle is sounded.

Simple solution: Bring your own Chux SuperWipes!

Admittedly, I have not added any favourite for a while but view photos and add favourites when I get time. I only ever post comments when I have something constructive to say. Submitting 'Great shot' has very little thought, in my opinion, even if it is just recognition of a nice photo.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #24
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
Submitting 'Great shot' has very little thought, in my opinion, even if it is just recognition of a nice photo.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote