Old 03-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Default Shooting in Fog

Is it bad for a camera to shoot in Fog? I ask this before I head out the door in foggy weather with my camera.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Not really. As long as it's not raining, AND as long as its not that really heavy thick fog that's almost like a very thick mist. Simply put, just don't get water on the camera and use common sense.

Ben
Old 03-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

I have shot in rain, sleet and snow and my Canon 30D and 40D have yet to die. Fog is fine but if your camera does get wet I usually try to wipe it off.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

It's days like this it would be nice to have a 40D. Aren't those sealed up really nice? Not waterproof but sealed.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fladung View Post
It's days like this it would be nice to have a 40D. Aren't those sealed up really nice? Not waterproof but sealed.
Not really. The card and battery compartments are "weatherproofed," but other things are not. From dpreview:
Quote:
We're looking for an exact clarification on this point, it appears that while Canon has now weatherproofed the battery and storage compartment doors (water and dust can't enter these compartments when the doors are closed) other areas such as buttons and dials aren't fully weatherproofed as they are on the EOS-1D series. Hence while the EOS 40D's weatherproofing is an improvement over the EOS 30D it doesn't appear to be up to EOS-1D standards.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
KevinM

I have the Nikon D90 and D40x, neither of which has the weather resistance of the the pro-sumer (D300/D700) or pro (D3/D3x) cameras. I have shot in the rain and fog plenty of times....whenever I go on a charter, it ALWAYS rains. I try to use common sense about keeping the equipment dry and I've never had a problem. A light drizzle or a few raindrops are no problem. If it gets any heavier than that, I either keep the camera under my coat until I'm ready to shoot, or I fashion a raincoat for it out of a plastic bag and use a wide rubber band to secure it to the lens hood. There are also plenty of weather protection products out there on the market. Some are probably more expensive than they should be.

The only issue I've found with shooting in really high humidity situations is lens fogging. The keys are keeping the lens temperature the same as the air (meaning don't take it inside an air conditioned room/car and then go outside in the rain to shoot), and keeping a dry microfiber cloth handy to dry your lens.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 03-09-2009 at 04:51 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fladung View Post
Unfortunately they are not sealed.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

My XTi has held up with no problems in many conditions and fog would be the least of any concern.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
lock4244

I've haven't shot in "wet" fog before, but I did drop my D300 in the snow... we'll, actually I slipped between a pile of ties I was standing on and the camera got submerged in snow. I know enough to always use the neck strap, but I rarely plan on falling down! Anyways, the camera got covered in snow but I blew it off and it was ok. I think most DSLR's they are pretty resilient.

BTW, I got the shot...

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #10
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

I wish I could have more fog around here. To answer your question when I was out in fog it was actually kind of wet, and I had to wipe some moisture off of my camera. It is still fine.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 257381
Photograph © Wayne Stumbo
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #11
jdirelan87

Most bodies are decent when it comes to waterproofing, just because they have relatively few openings were water can get in (i.e., lens mount, battery door, memory card door). Lenses on the other hand have lots of external moving parts (focus ring, zoom ring, front element on most lenses) that are often not very well sealed. While its not much a problem on high end lenses, much of the low stuff has little to no serious water proofing. The chances that a drop of water will hit at the exact right spot are pretty low, but I would recommend wrapping the lens in a towel or shirt just to be safe.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote