Old 06-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
lhughes0

Default Kodachrome Replacement

All of my transportation photography on film has been using Kodachrome 64. but with its K-14 processing coming to an end this year I am now being forced to re-consider what film to start using. Generally, my photography subjects are transportation objects without people (e.g., trains, buses, stations). I am more concerned with accuracy of the image than trying to create any mood from the scene. A very-important attribute is the longevity of the processed medium.

I think I've narrowed down the film choices to Fujichrome Provia 100F, Ilford FP4+ 125, and Ilford Delta 100. In the case of the Fujichrome, I am skeptical of the E-6 processing given how Ektachrome has not held up as well as Kodachrome, though I understand the E-6 process is much better these days. Still, I don't know if I can count on its longevity. I might also consider doing color only in digital and reserving film for B&W. In that case I'm not quite sure which is better for my needs, the FP4+ or the Delta. I understand that FP4+ is more forgiving, but I don't think that should be an issue (unless I decide to try developing the films myself at home).

I would appreciate any feedback on these thoughts (though I am not looking for advice related to ditching film entirely in favor of digital). In particular, advice is sought on (1) whether or not Fujichrome Provia 100 is likely to meet my requirements and (2) which of the two B&W print films would be best for my transportation photography.
lhughes0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

This is a lot like going to a Ford forum and asking what kind of Dodge to buy?

Though I do kow there are a few slide-knowledgeable folks here. I'm just not one of them.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Try this Yahoo Group:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/ObservationCar/

There's a higher prevalence of guys who use film there.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
JRMDC

I don't think there is anything in the questions so unique to transportation photography that responses should be limited to responses from a forum where people shoot trains. You are asking about color accuracy and longevity. I suggest you also reach out to a larger audience, something like fredmiranda.com, photo.net, others which have active forums with WAAAY more people focusing on these sorts of issues. Don't know the best one, but seek it out and you will get considerably more opinions than you will if talking to just the train shooters.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
troy12n
Banned

There's always medium format. I guess.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose View Post
Try this Yahoo Group:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/ObservationCar/

There's a higher prevalence of guys who use film there.
When I see 250 messages in my inbox later this evening regarding an alternative to Kodachrome, I'll blame you Nick.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
lhughes0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I don't think there is anything in the questions so unique to transportation photography that responses should be limited to responses from a forum where people shoot trains.
Well, a lot of the general responses I've been reading concerning this subject seem to deal with faithful reproduction of skin tones and natural landscapes, neither of which are directly related to railroad and other transportation photography. But in trying to extrapolate those more general responses, I think Fujichrome Provia 100 fits the bill (at least with color transparencies). Having never really done anything serious other than Kodachrome, I would be interested to know the experiences of other rail photographers in using the aforementioned Provia (as well as B&W print).
Old 06-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
This is a lot like going to a Ford forum and asking what kind of Dodge to buy?
Easy. There's only one right answer: Challenger.

To the OP, I shot slides for a few years before making the switch to digital and started out exclusively on Kodachrome. One time, while out on a trip, I ran out of film and could only find Provia 100 in stores. I was satisfied with the film and would switch between Kodachrome and Provia, depending on which I had lying around. I found Provia's colors to be a bit more saturated (sometimes oversaturated), and Kodachrome handled night photos better, but beside those small differences, both films were close enough for my tastes.

- Chris
Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
Dennis A. Livesey

My Kodachromes look the same now as when I badly exposed them 30 years ago!

In the 90's I went Fuji and those look exactly the same today also. I think all color films now are as stable as any media.

In dealing with film on a pro to semi-pro level there is always the answer "it depends" so shoot tests.

I if were to research it, I'd look at the info from Kodak and Fuji to see what best fits my needs, shoot tests to see if I like the look, check out what others are saying on any film photo forum and then make a decision.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #10
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

With E6 the last step is what makes it stable. The old E's like E4 didn't hold as well as E6 will so you can't hold old and newer E proses to the same as the E4 that didn't hold up well over time. No E6 wont last as long as Kodakchrome but will you out last E6?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
lhughes0

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
No E6 wont last as long as Kodakchrome but will you out last E6?
I think there's two audiences to our transportation photography: ourselves and our descendants. We're now able to enjoy the photographs, and interpret history, from the middle of the 19th century, even though the photographers are all dead. I would like to think that future generations will be able to view my photography for years after my end.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
lock4244

From the few die-hards I've known that shoot Kodachrome, this is the best option
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hangmans noose.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	5533  

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhughes0 View Post
I would like to think that future generations will be able to view my photography for years after my end.
B&W is the only way to go it will out last Kcrome. And with Photo Shop old E4's still look good in books so if they fade scan them and don't sweat it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 06-15-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: add more
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote