Old 06-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Bob Pickering

Question Trying to make a rain shot work

Good Morning / Afternoon / Evening

I am working on a heavy rain shot....been working around a few rejections I want to get input and see what everyone here thinks.

First the heavy rain shots I did get in the database have been highly viewed so I do think they draw a lot of hits that is why I try to put the effort in when shooting trains in the elements. One of my most viewed shots ever is in heavy rain.

Like usual get the circles of rejections I improve and get something else...but we all know that is the process here. I know what I signed up for.

After a number of rejections for not being bright enough / exposure I get rejected for soft
# 1
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...81&key=3371450

I sharpened up and then got rejected for poor lighting cloudy day. Maybe too much white sky?

I try another shot, I get nailed for cropping..OK getting closer # 2
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...07&key=8994093

I cropped more to the right and took out some of the sky and got Uncorrected Upload
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...36&key=7254037

Maybe I did not crop enough or maybe the screener is trying to tell me something else. Maybe I just need to improve on the cropping more did not crop enough from the last time which would be my fault...at least that is what I think.

Anyway...looking for thoughts on this and advice.

Thank You!

BP
Bob Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
sd9

I would say you almost had it in the first one, the other two looks like you oversaturated them. I would get a little more sky and less foreground, in other words use the first one and go up about an inch or so and then add a little sharpening. That's my 2cents
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Mgoldman

First, kudo's on your efforts - both in the rain and on RP!

Your thread is a bit tricky to follow -

The first image looks good but
A) RP seems to frown upon dark images - even if it was in fact - dark.
B) Rain naturally makes an image appear soft - but subsequent images
you linked do in fact look sharper (better).

Your second image - looks like you disregarded advice on the first image
and returned to the dark side. Albeit, a different shot.

Your third image - best of the bunch, I could see it getting in on appeal.
Everything looks good - except perhaps the one thing it was rejected for - at least in the eyes of the first screener. It's brighter. It's sharper. But, it's still (in the eyes of the original screener), a "bad crop" and though you did re-edit it, in regards to the crop, only the slightest bit.

Again - maybe an appeal will find a screener willing to overlook the first screener's taste for composition. Everything else looks great.

As for the crop itself - the foreground is far from appealing - I'd probably prefer a dull white sky to a dull grassy foreground but I see your train of thought. Maybe you can go with shot with more sky and then go into shadows and highlights in Photoshop and crank it all the way up till the sky is black and ominous and then try for the SC.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Maybe you can go with shot with more sky and then go into shadows and highlights in Photoshop and crank it all the way up till the sky is black and ominous and then try for the SC.

/Mitch
Just photoshop a sunny day loco into the rainy background.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
sd9

Quote:

Your third image - best of the bunch, I could see it getting in on appeal.
Everything looks good - except perhaps the one thing it was rejected for - at least in the eyes of the first screener. It's brighter. It's sharper. But, it's still (in the eyes of the original screener), a "bad crop" and though you did re-edit it, in regards to the crop, only the slightest bit.

/Mitch
I still say the third one is over-saturated, the rain has got color to it, (look at the trucks) unless it's a Luck Charms rain
Old 06-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #6
Bob Pickering

Thank You very much everyone. Let me digest this a bit and go from there. Thank you for your time I am also open to other advice.

BP
Old 06-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Bob Pickering

OK I submitted the first one, with all advice applied, I brightened it up a bit but was trying not to blow out the sky.

Wish me luck

BP
Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Bob Pickering

Had to sharpen, nailed for that, sharpened more nailed for that then too much grain likely sharpened...too much.... Anyway will re try later it is a fine line sometimes to get that sharpening right.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pickering View Post
Had to sharpen, nailed for that, sharpened more nailed for that then too much grain likely sharpened...too much.... Anyway will re try later it is a fine line sometimes to get that sharpening right.
Y'know... You don't have to sharpen the entire image and you can use noise reduction on only parts of the image. : )

/Mitch
Old 06-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
Bob Pickering

Quote:
Y'know... You don't have to sharpen the entire image and you can use noise reduction on only parts of the image. : )

/Mitch
Now that I had forgotten about.....

Got nailed again and got this..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...27&key=1753013

Any other ideas?

Thank You!

BP
Old 06-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
JRMDC

It is as though ...the screener ... has no idea it is raining cats and dogs!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
It is as though ...the screener ... has no idea it is raining cats and dogs!
Ya, its kinda like the roster shot I submitted that was cropped just like one of the NS Heritage photos, but it kept getting dinged for bad cropping..
Old 06-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #13
Mgoldman

Quote:
Any other ideas?

Thank You!

BP
I guess what they want is for you to retry that rainy day shot on a sunny day.

Don't feel bad - I had a cool rainy day shot from the Valley with #3025 which I shot at 1/800th and F/8 trying to avoid the poor image quality by freezing the rain drops. I like blurred drops but both are problematic on RP. You could try a more pleasing composition next time around though there's no doubt a sunny day version of that, um, wedgie, would slide right in despite the appeal of a more interesting and challenging rainy day shot.

Suggestions - Sharpen, I suppose. As for PIQ, perhaps tinker with contrast and saturation.

/Mitch
Old 06-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
Bob Pickering

Quote:
I guess what they want is for you to retry that rainy day shot on a sunny day.

Don't feel bad - I had a cool rainy day shot from the Valley with #3025 which I shot at 1/800th and F/8 trying to avoid the poor image quality by freezing the rain drops. I like blurred drops but both are problematic on RP. You could try a more pleasing composition next time around though there's no doubt a sunny day version of that, um, wedgie, would slide right in despite the appeal of a more interesting and challenging rainy day shot.

Suggestions - Sharpen, I suppose. As for PIQ, perhaps tinker with contrast and saturation.

/Mitch
It's all good. I try rain shots because I get very high views on the very few that do get in. This one took me a week of adjustments to get accepted plus a LOT of help from you wonderful folks on the forum.

Image © Bob Pickering (BP)
PhotoID: 367769
Photograph © Bob Pickering (BP)

It has had over 7,000 views

BP
Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
mark woody

Bob, had a play with the first reject as follows, the histogram is weak on the black side so, black slider to 32, contrast to 30, then shadows to 5, highlights to 10, midtone contrast to +15, sharpness to 30/.5/0 and finally usm 40/.5/0 all done in PSE 7, for the attached. forgot to mention minor noise despeckle as first step.

Last edited by mark woody; 05-27-2014 at 10:53 AM.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #16
Bob Pickering

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark woody View Post
Bob, had a play with the first reject as follows, the histogram is weak on the black side so, black slider to 32, contrast to 30, then shadows to 5, highlights to 10, midtone contrast to +15, sharpness to 30/.5/0 and finally usm 40/.5/0 all done in PSE 7, for the attached. forgot to mention minor noise despeckle as first step.
Ooooh I like let me tinker with mine...I am not by any means a PS expert but I am learning.

BP
Old 06-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #17
Bob Pickering

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark woody View Post
OK I will try again...thank you for that advice. I hate bouncing rejects back and fourth bugging the screeners but I think using your ideas is a marked improvement over what I had been trying.

Thank You.

BP
Old 06-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #18
magicman_841

I admire your patience.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
Bob Pickering

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
I admire your patience.
Thank You.... as said before I love the rain shots evidently people do too as every rain shot I have successfully got in has got very high views. I almost thing that should be a catagory (like snow)

Either way I am working with Mark's suggestions now....SO we will see.

BP
Old 06-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #20
magicman_841

Quote:
Thank You.... as said before I love the rain shots evidently people do too as every rain shot I have successfully got in has got very high views. I almost thing that should be a catagory (like snow)

Either way I am working with Mark's suggestions now....SO we will see.

BP
There is a good shot in there somewhere. Processing extreme weather shots is more challenging than a sunny day photo with perfect light.

When I struggle so much with a shot, I usually sit on it for a couple of days so the screeners and I can look at it with fresh eyes.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
Bob Pickering

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
There is a good shot in there somewhere. Processing extreme weather shots is more challenging than a sunny day photo with perfect light.

When I struggle so much with a shot, I usually sit on it for a couple of days so the screeners and I can look at it with fresh eyes.
Yeah I have had challenges with extreme weather shots but the ones I do get in always have very high views.

With that said...I got hit again

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...94&key=4094709

Uncorrected upload (which I did perform additional corrections to sharpness and grain removal but apparently not enough.) SO I think I will also sit on this for a while...see what others think. If it gets in, it does if not there are plenty of other trains in my future.

BP
Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
magicman_841

Yep... that would be a clear indication of them not wanting that picture in the DB.