Old 07-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #1
Amtrakdavis22

Default Tehachapi Help

Deleted this thread not the other. My bad. Keep responding to this thread if you would like.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik

Last edited by Amtrakdavis22; 07-21-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
JRMDC

I don't know lightroom settings, but i do know that your file is 500 KB. That is about 360 KB on a 1024x file - I usually upload those at just under 1000 KB. So you are waaaay small and thus waaaay compressed.

Your file should be 1500 KB or so. So look first at how you save the file, make use you are using the maximum setting (a "12" if in PSE).

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
coaststarlight14

I prefer the first one, but i think it could use some lightening and i'd also sharpen it a bit as per the screeners request...

DH
coaststarlight14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
Amtrakdavis22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I don't know lightroom settings, but i do know that your file is 500 KB. That is about 360 KB on a 1024x file - I usually upload those at just under 1000 KB. So you are waaaay small and thus waaaay compressed.

Your file should be 1500 KB or so. So look first at how you save the file, make use you are using the maximum setting (a "12" if in PSE).
OK so my original file size was somewhere over 5MB. When I brought the image down to size (1200x....) it dropped down to 563KB. I then changed the resolution from 260 to 1,000 but that did not increase the file size.

Anyone know of a better way to do this that does not drop the quality? I think I might try saving it in Lightroom and loading it off of there (if it's possible).

Weird how this has never been a problem for me before. Maybe I accidentally changed a setting on my computer.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

Old 07-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
JRMDC

Is the original raw? An XSi (as identified per the EXIF) is 12 MP and the original file should be a lot bigger than 5 mbytes, I am guessing(!), even given some of the smooth nature of the landscape. I would think the raw file, maximum resolution, out of camera would be maybe, what, 15 mb? So maybe you have a camera setting problem instead of a computer setting problem, or maybe both?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 07-20-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
Amtrakdavis22

Quote:
Is the original raw? An XSi (as identified per the EXIF) is 12 MP and the original file should be a lot bigger than 5 mbytes, I am guessing(!), even given some of the smooth nature of the landscape. I would think the raw file, maximum resolution, out of camera would be maybe, what, 15 mb? So maybe you have a camera setting problem instead of a computer setting problem, or maybe both?
I don't shoot Raw. Yeah yeah yeah... I know I should shoot raw but with the amount of photos I take, they wouldn't really fit on my hard drive well. Shooting jpeg has never given me issues like this. The files that came in with this shot are similar to other files I have of photos on this site.

The image also looks good on my computer... Seems it is full size and resolution. Just when I go from computer to railpics, the image falls apart. I'm going to do more research on this and see if I can find an answer.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

Old 07-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
crazytiger

SHOOT RAW. You will regret shooting jpg. (this is from experience...)

PFL
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Amtrakdavis22

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
SHOOT RAW. You will regret shooting jpg. (this is from experience...)
Tried shooting RAW... regretted doing that. I will look into it in the future though.

OK so I upload the image to iphoto and it gives a approx 5MB reading. Once they get to lightroom and post edited, there is a apox 15MB reading. I guess the file size just seems to grow. Anyways, I came up with an idea and I'm going to see if it works.

Edit: What do you guys think of the attached image. Does that fix the problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120717-IMG_9885.jpg (502.2 KB, 238 views)

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

Last edited by Amtrakdavis22; 07-20-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
jnohallman

Aside from whatever else may be happening, always do another round of sharpening after you resize the photo.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
Aside from whatever else may be happening, always do another round of sharpening after you resize the photo.

Jon
Ding Ding Ding. I talked about this before. There was a nice article on the Cambridge Photography website about this. Look for their sharpening tutorial if you are interested. After compressing, do a light sharpening.

Also with regard to shooting raw, I usually don't either. Although when you have a can't miss opportunity I would do it. I assume your camera can do both simultaneously.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

It is a waste to use Lightroom if you are not shooting RAW.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 07-21-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
Amtrakdavis22

Wow. This is really weird. I've never really had this many photos come back as "undersharpened" before.

This guy still isn't cutting it. My next attempt will be sharpened after resizing.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...57&key=5898074

This one I was a little surprised at. Looks pretty sharp on my screen. What do you guys think?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...62&key=9609602

I guess the softest part of this image is on the far left?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...64&key=7840868

Thanks guys for the comments.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

Old 07-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Just keep sharpening it until they say oversharpened and then forget it. I don't know what to tell you. I would spot sharpen numberboards and words and the sides of the locos to make it appear super sharp.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
Amtrakdavis22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Just keep sharpening it until they say oversharpened and then forget it. I don't know what to tell you. I would spot sharpen numberboards and words and the sides of the locos to make it appear super sharp.
This was my next plan of action. That might help get me over the curve.

I actually just did that to the original Cliff (High Tehachapi) shot about 20 minutes ago. It does make the train look sharper without over sharpening the hills, sky, etc. And I did do a little bit of resharpening after the image was compressed. I think I will wait till this evening to submit though to help give the screeners a break.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

Old 07-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #15
Indecline

Just a thought - get a couple of external 1 terabyte hard drives and start saving your files to them. You can shoot RAW, back them up to the second hard drive and you don't have to worry about running out of space for a long time. These days, external storage is cheap.
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:27 AM   #16
Amtrakdavis22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecline View Post
Just a thought - get a couple of external 1 terabyte hard drives and start saving your files to them. You can shoot RAW, back them up to the second hard drive and you don't have to worry about running out of space for a long time. These days, external storage is cheap.
Well I already have that... But between photos and videos (also being on a laptop) a shoot like this would have had to have been uploaded in sets. That would get annoying really quick.

Besides, when I shot RAW for a little bit, the photos actually came out worse than the Jpeg versions. I decided then I would let go of RAW for awhile. I might test it out again in the future, but I don't have incredibly high hopes for it.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

Old 07-21-2012, 03:52 AM   #17
Indecline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtrakdavis22 View Post
Well I already have that... But between photos and videos (also being on a laptop) a shoot like this would have had to have been uploaded in sets. That would get annoying really quick.

Besides, when I shot RAW for a little bit, the photos actually came out worse than the Jpeg versions. I decided then I would let go of RAW for awhile. I might test it out again in the future, but I don't have incredibly high hopes for it.
Not sure if I understand your having to upload in sets. I just let Adobe Bridge do the uploading for the day and then copy that folder to the second drive. Doesn't take much time. I don't do video, so no idea about that, and not sure about the laptop idea. I have yet to figure out how to calibrate my laptop's screen whereas it's relatively easy to calibrate my desktop.

DS

Last edited by Indecline; 07-21-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:56 AM   #18
Mark Gayman

Another thing to watch is the JPEG compression quality setting when you save the image for upload. I always save it at 100 in GIMP. Anything less than 100 will produce a smaller file with some loss of image quality. Use the highest setting your software allows and check for any advanced settings related to JPEG compression and choose the best there as well.

---------------------

Last edited by Mark Gayman; 07-21-2012 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Typo
Mark Gayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #19
Amtrakdavis22

Can anyone explain this? Now all the sudden when I upload shots that I edited in Lightroom, they get a horrible color overcast to them. Check out the difference in color between the two shots. On my computer, the thumbnail looks bad but the photo seems fine. On a PC and Mobile, both the thumbnail and photo look horrible. How did this change all the sudden? Color on the early uploaded shots looks good on both, but now it just looks bad. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Good color on Mac, PC, and Mobile:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...64&key=7840868

All the sudden bad thumnail on Mac, and bad thumbnail and photo on PC and Mobile:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...80&key=6225072

Tried uploading again with corrections and still was bad. Remember, color looks good on my computer once I open the full photo:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...11&key=4524477

Same thing happened to this shot:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...62&key=9609602
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...13&key=5773099

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

Old 07-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #20
JRMDC

I have put the first two links into separate windows in my browser and clicked back and forth repeatedly. They are essentially identical, surprised you didn't get an uncorrected reupload reject. One odd thing, the red circle that is a part of the nose herald, in one is much brighter than the other, as if you had selectively brightened just that spot. Really odd. I keep looking for color changes elsewhere but can't find them.

Viewing on a PC laptop, Firefox 14.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #21
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtrakdavis22 View Post
You don't understand RAW. RAW files typcally coe out of the camera looking "worse" than a JPEG. All of the information is there, but you have to put it as you see it in post. When you shoot JPEG, you let the camera decide a lot of how the shot looks, even if you shoot in full manual. (You do shoot in full manual, don't you?)

Also, if Trains or some book comes asking for a photo they see of yours, the first question they'lll have will be: "Did you shoot RAW?" If this interests you at alll, it would be a great idea to shoot both L-JPEG and RAW, even if alll yyou do is file the RAWS away on an external hard drive somewhere. I look at all the shots I took with my fiirst Digital Rebel. I never shot RAW and it's killed me a few times when I was asked about specific shots.

Confession time. For a while after I made the switch, I shot nothing but RAW and did the conversion on every shot. Lately, I shoot btoth RAW and JPEG and only work from the RAW in cases where I need a little extra latitude. So when I went to Spencer for Foamstock, I came back with 630 RAW images ad 630 JPGS. I don't have a lot of hard drive space, but there were no problems encountered and I soon backed everything up on my external.

Trust me. You will regreet not shooting RAW.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #22
JRMDC

For some reason Mr. Davis has edited the intial post to say "ignore thread".

As I didn't see this at the time, I wrote a further response, and now so has Joe. Oh well!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #23
MagnumForce

Chalk me up as one who does not get the shoot raw craze. If you shoot properly to begin with there is no need to shoot raw, I wodul much rather get things right when I shoot then spend a half an hour getting them right once on the PC. I just don't get it. I have shot raw and I found no advantage to it in any way shape or form, only hassle. As someone who grew up shooting manual SLR's with prints and slides I wonder if that has a lot to do with it.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #24
Amtrakdavis22

Quote:
I have put the first two links into separate windows in my browser and clicked back and forth repeatedly. They are essentially identical, surprised you didn't get an uncorrected reupload reject. One odd thing, the red circle that is a part of the nose herald, in one is much brighter than the other, as if you had selectively brightened just that spot. Really odd. I keep looking for color changes elsewhere but can't find them.

Viewing on a PC laptop, Firefox 14.
Yeah I figured out the color problem. When exporting the image out of Lightroom, I ended up changing the color space from sRGB to ProRGB. ProRGB looks really good on Macs but for some reason, PC's make them look terrible.

It was really confusing to be getting Bad Color rejects when the color looked great on mine. The reuploads had increased sharpening and increased overall color, but they still looked horrible on PC.

Glad to have that problem behind me.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

Old 07-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #25
Amtrakdavis22

Quote:
For some reason Mr. Davis has edited the intial post to say "ignore thread".

As I didn't see this at the time, I wrote a further response, and now so has Joe. Oh well!
Meant to do that to the other thread not this one. Man I'll tell you, I'm sloppy on the internet as of late. Anyways, do you know how I could fully delete the other thread?

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com