Old 11-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #1
JohnJ

Default Pre-Screening: Portrait or Landscape?

I found a local view I really like, but unfortunately, most trains through the area are pretty short, which leaves me with having to crop in relatively tightly to avoid too much dead space. In general, I shy away from landscape format for transportation subjects, but I'm wondering if that's where I should go here. Here are landscape and portrait crops of the picture I want to upload - I want to avoid chopping the steeple off the church in the background:

Landscape:
http://airshots.homestead.com/csor_2021_rpn_3582.jpg

Portrait:
http://airshots.homestead.com/csor_2...2_portrait.jpg

Which do you think works best?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

John
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
KevinM

Of the two you posted, the landscape is far superior. The portrait cuts the train off with the frame, which is not optimal. It also has a ton of the dead space that you are trying to avoid at the bottom.

I find that I rarely use portrait format for trains. It usually only lends itself to more head-on shots, and head-ons are usually the least interesting to the RP audience. I have also noticed that the odds of getting good views often decrease markedly with a portrait format shot. It's like B&W.....more often than not it's a view-killer.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Of the two you posted, the landscape is far superior. The portrait cuts the train off with the frame, which is not optimal. It also has a ton of the dead space that you are trying to avoid at the bottom.
Ditto!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
chipallen16

I agree that the landscape shot is much better cropped/composed, though it seems like it needs a tiny bit of a counter-clockwise rotation. Good shot!

-Chip
chipallen16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:06 AM   #5
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

The landscape shot is well composed, shows a nice scene, and the background is quite nice. I'd submit that.

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:06 AM   #6
Noct Foamer

They both work. I'd like the portrait one a bit better if it didn't have the train hard against the edge of the frame, about to exit. For me, that's an automatic turn off.

I'll add that I think a polarizer would have helped a good bit here.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:09 AM   #7
JohnJ

Thanks for all the comments and feedback, sounds like portrait is the way to go. Another question, then - this is cropped to 1200x825 - for a 1200 px wide picture, what's the maximum height that is allowed here? Having a bit more vertical distance to play with would help with the comment Kent posted, which I agree with.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:13 AM   #8
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
Thanks for all the comments and feedback, sounds like portrait is the way to go.
LOL! How'd you come up with that, unless you were predisposed to go with the portrait? The vote was 4-1 landscape!

Honestly....as presented (important caveat)...the portrait shot was a really awkward composition and I'd take bets that RP would probably give it the boot.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I find that I rarely use portrait format for trains. It usually only lends itself to more head-on shots, and head-ons are usually the least interesting to the RP audience. I have also noticed that the odds of getting good views often decrease markedly with a portrait format shot. It's like B&W.....more often than not it's a view-killer.
While people do post on RP to get their shots seen, the language above goes too far down the line of "shoot for the views" for my tastes. Shoot what you like. If it turns out to be portrait or B/W, accept the subsequent low view count but don't change what you do. Don't let the RP audience shape your photography.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
JohnJ

Oops - meant landscape of course! But previous question still stands: for a 1200px wide image, what's the maximum vertical I can go with? If I can go beyond 825px, that will give me a little more breathing room, especially below the locomotive.

Last edited by JohnJ; 11-10-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #11
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
While people do post on RP to get their shots seen, the language above goes too far down the line of "shoot for the views" for my tastes. Shoot what you like. If it turns out to be portrait or B/W, accept the subsequent low view count but don't change what you do. Don't let the RP audience shape your photography.
Of course you wouldn't let it shape your photography, BUT you should let it shape what you post for this audience. Why on earth would you post something, knowing beforehand that the audience would give it a ho-hum?

Edit: To put it another way, if you were a singer, and you were planning a concert set-list, would you plan to sing the songs you like, or the most popular cuts from your latest album?

My RP stuff is here.

Last edited by KevinM; 11-10-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #12
JRMDC

I would put it differently. The comparison is not to the concert set-list but to the album. Most albums I have listened to over many decades have any number of songs that couldn't possibly have been expected to become hits or otherwise popular. They still appear on the albums, because the artists wanted those song to nonetheless appear. (For those of you reading this who are much younger than I, I do realize that the "album" is a rapidly fading concept and indeed some of you will have no clue as to what the term means. )

I view RP as a place to display what I do. I display shots with, at times, full expectation that the view count will be low. Those shots, such as the one below, are expressions of my photography; for reasons unclear to me the world does not seem to recognize my genius.

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 550205
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

PS: Someday I will take a shot at reprocessing this one as it doesn't seem quite right yet.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
RobJor

I find when I try to shoot both a vertical and horizontal of the same train in a limited space I often end up with two images which are not exactly what I want even if it is moping along.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #14
Sean Mathews

Landscape for sure.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #15
JohnJ

Apparently the screeners agreed with the advice given here, as the landscape version was accepted a little while ago. Thanks again for the good advice!

John
Old 11-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
Apparently the screeners agreed with the advice given here, as the landscape version was accepted a little while ago. Thanks again for the good advice!

John
I'd also like to add that if you do ever go with a vertical format, try to keep the ratio to 4:5, 10:13 or 11:14. Those ratios will allow you to show more width, as 2:3 usually adds too much unnecessary space at the top and bottom, as evident in your example in the OP.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:54 AM   #17
JohnJ

Good stuff, thanks!