Old 04-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
Martin76_de

Send a message via Skype™ to Martin76_de
Default Composition - Rejected

Hello,

This is my first post in this forum. I am asking you for advice because I do not understand the reasons for rejecting my photo.

This is the first version I added the day before yesterday:

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...11&key=4812987

"Reason(s) for Rejection: - Composition (Balance): The subject is awkwardly positioned in the frame. RailPictures.Net prefers that images are composed in keeping with the 'Rule of Thirds' meaning that, in most circumstances, the focal point of the image should not be directly in the center of the frame, or too close to any of the edges."

Yesterday I changed the cropping although I think the picture was properly cropped and I added this version:

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...47&key=6232090

it was also rejected for the same reasons.

So I don't know where I make a mistake. Can someone show him to me? I wonder if the object in this case is a locomotive or an entire train. I used to apply the golden ratio rule assuming that the object placed in a strong point is the front of the locomotive. Maybe someone will suggest how you can crop this picture correctly to comply with RailPictures guidelines. I am a new user and would like to avoid similar situations in the future. I will be very grateful for your help and understanding.

Best Regards, Martin
Martin76_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
Joseph Cermak

Best I can guess is that the train is close to being centered vertically. I would suggest cropping some off the bottom and adding to the top to bring the train to the lower ROT line and giving that a try.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

Going off your first rejection link, I came up with something like this:

Loyd L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	9787  

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
RobJor

If you want to follow the formula, go back to the first version, if in PS or I guess another program, use the crop tool, there should be two lines across and two vertical, put the nose (620 on the lower right cross mark so you now follow the rule of thirds, crop the left side like you did for the second version.

As an alternative, increase the canvas size on the top and fill in more blue sky thus pushing the nose down in the image.

Other than that a problem is you have a nice action shot but there is little else in the frame to look at.

But then you already know this:
Image © Martin76_de
PhotoID: 731566
Photograph © Martin76_de

Bob

LOL - with Loyd lurking you have to fast with advice

Last edited by RobJor; 04-13-2020 at 03:45 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post

LOL - with Loyd lurking you have to fast with advice
I'm working from home and have an extra screen open for miscellaneous debauchery

Loyd L.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:10 PM   #6
John Russell - NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin76_de View Post
Hello,

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...47&key=6232090

it was also rejected for the same reasons.

So I don't know where I make a mistake. Can someone show him to me? I wonder if the object in this case is a locomotive or an entire train. I used to apply the golden ratio rule assuming that the object placed in a strong point is the front of the locomotive. Maybe someone will suggest how you can crop this picture correctly to comply with RailPictures guidelines. I am a new user and would like to avoid similar situations in the future. I will be very grateful for your help and understanding.

Best Regards, Martin
Welcome Martin. I do like your photos! We're dealing with a preference here, and one that can be applied harshly. Anyway, some good advice here from photogs who, over time, have sort of worked out what RPN wants. Like several other shots you've recently contributed this is almost high sun, perhaps a factor. The key is to have an appealing background or something to help carry the shot, even over-riding preferences that otherwise apply. This might be particularly applicable to "foreign" train photos as membership is likely >80% US and Canada and this site is a business that likely reflects that in what it wants. I'd like to see how you get on with this one.

Last edited by John Russell - NZ; 04-14-2020 at 12:01 AM.
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:19 PM   #7
John Russell - NZ

By the way, when was the second image submission made? I was informed that the retention period for the rejected image database is now 31 days but it still says 7 days for yours.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:38 PM   #8
Martin76_de

Send a message via Skype™ to Martin76_de

Thank you for the suggestions. I personally take various photos in several European countries. I am mainly interrupted by the old railway. For many years I have developed my own style of photography. I try to present various photographs. However, I enjoy the most exposed locomotive photos. I look with envy at your beautiful landscapes with the railway in the background (or vice versa). It's hard to find such here. However, I want to show you various European (mainly Polish, Czech, Slovak or Hungarian) locomotives. Therefore, thank you for the suggestions. I'm starting to understand the difference in framing simple photos with a exposed train. I also wanted to join RP Elite. Unfortunately, I do not have a credit card and wanting to buy a subscription, my PayPal asks me for it. I can't pay directly with my PayPal balance.

Best Regards, Martin
Martin76_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:22 AM   #9
John Russell - NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin76_de View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I personally take various photos in several European countries. I am mainly interrupted by the old railway. For many years I have developed my own style of photography. I try to present various photographs. However, I enjoy the most exposed locomotive photos. I look with envy at your beautiful landscapes with the railway in the background (or vice versa). It's hard to find such here. However, I want to show you various European (mainly Polish, Czech, Slovak or Hungarian) locomotives. Therefore, thank you for the suggestions. I'm starting to understand the difference in framing simple photos with a exposed train. I also wanted to join RP Elite. Unfortunately, I do not have a credit card and wanting to buy a subscription, my PayPal asks me for it. I can't pay directly with my PayPal balance.

Best Regards, Martin
Thanks Martin. I love your style of photography and I hope that you keep to it! You have some great variety of trains and scenery to choose from. I envy you! You will likely learn a lot here but realize a lot of RP preferences are just that. Sometimes I just accept that a photo I want is not one that RP wants. There is flickr.com etc for such photos. (I hope to follow your work on flickr.)
I would encourage you to join RP Elite. Perhaps you can e-mail admin and pay direct to bank account. With all the business shutdown, the editor told me site advertising is down the toilet and he appreciates Elite subscriptions.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:35 AM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Going off your first rejection link, I came up with something like this:

Loyd L.
This. Exactly this. Thanks for doing the cropping work for me.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #11
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
This. Exactly this. Thanks for doing the cropping work for me.
I bet you'll want producer credit and royalties too right?

Loyd L.