Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography
Default Not seeing Poor Image Quality

Oversharpened? What?!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1297328127
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Sorry to be blunt but really? It is oversharpened but to the point where it is just poor image quality.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
NSFan14

Looks very awful. The quality is very bad. You was on the darkside of the tracks so that doesnt help....
Old 05-23-2008, 12:17 AM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rails Photography
Look for what are called white "halos." These are areas of white that separate bright from dark, created by the oversharpening process. Here, look at the power line from above the cab to the right edge. It has a thick white stripe on both sides of the dark line. That is an artifact of oversharpening. The entire image is oversharpened, of course, but that is the clearest symptom. It's not close to being good, but then it is easily avoided when you re-process the shot.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:50 AM   #5
Googanelli

Let me start by saying this shot is neat composition. If the sun were at your back rather than your right, it would have come out better. It is oversharpened. I do like the shot though. Go back when the sun is behind you.

-Joe
Googanelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:47 AM   #6
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

What kind of camera are you using? Looks like it was taken with an HP point and shoot.........I use to use one. It is also severly oversharpend( the more you sharpen most of the time the more noise) and the noise(grain) levels are very unpleasing to the eye....I too like the composition had the sun been on your back and you had a better camera it would have been a great shot. The reflection in the puddle adds interest.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

[quote=River Rails Photography]Oversharpened? What?!

I don't see the over sharpened as it is, but a lot more, But its the dark side that in its self will get it rejected, I do see blotchy noise, Look at your camera settings may be in camera sharpening is set to HIGH don't need it, do it all in photo shop or what ever you have. What did you have the camera set at, if over iso 200 that maybe why, if not over working it in PS can do it to.

It is framed well with the puddle so can see your thinking and thats more than some that come on here. Making sure the camera is set right helps, auto kills a lot of shots as you can't tell what the camera is thinking or seeing.
Making all the setting manually and making a test shot's adjust then shoot the train works well most of the time. Hope this help some and you wasn't getting jumped on, We all get jumped on here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 05-24-2008 at 12:35 PM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
I don't see the over sharpened,
Richard, you gave lots of good advice, except for the above fragment. It is way oversharpened, and River has to deal with that. After he does so, yes, there are the issues you raise.

Look at the sharpening artifacts, as I described before!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Richard, you gave lots of good advice, except for the above fragment. It is way oversharpened, and River has to deal with that. After he does so, yes, there are the issues you raise.

Look at the sharpening artifacts, as I described before!
You got me, miss edit ( its more than Over sharping) not don't see it. I will do that before coffee.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
Joe the Photog

The lighting is poor, strike that, sorry, the lighting is bad. You not only shot the dark side of the train, but there is not enough light on the nose. Not sure why you thought that would get in. It's over sharpened. The framing puts the train near the center of the shot and that watermark is just plain too prominent in a shot that's never going to make the database anyway.

Keep this in your personal collection.

Joe
Old 05-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
River Rails Photography
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain
What kind of camera are you using? Looks like it was taken with an HP point and shoot.........I use to use one. It is also severly oversharpend( the more you sharpen most of the time the more noise) and the noise(grain) levels are very unpleasing to the eye....I too like the composition had the sun been on your back and you had a better camera it would have been a great shot. The reflection in the puddle adds interest.

Im using a canon powershot a560 currently, am hoping to get an slr soon

EDIT: my currrent cam is a compact
Old 05-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
River Rails Photography
Banned

Another question: my ISO. that affecting it? I shoot at ISO 1600 (the highest my cam goes) perhaps ISO 200 for this? It was pulling off the siding wouldnt do that with Hercules lol btw Hercules was an intermodal
Old 05-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
KevinM

Hi River,

The extra high ISO is definitely a problem. Your aim should be to shoot the LOWEST ISO you can use and still keep the shutter speeds and apertures reasonable. Start with ISO 100....no kidding....try it. When you find yourself with shutter speeds below 1/100 (just a WAG at a minimum you can get away with on your camera), then you should be thinking about boosting ISO. On my camera, I shoot ISO 100 if it is nice and sunny out. If it is very late in the day, or there are some clouds, I boost to 200 and don't even think about it, because the difference is not really noticeable. On cloudy days, I go to 400. If I can't get away with 400, I go home .

I also echo what the other folks have been saying. You need to shoot in the morning before about 10:30 AM or in the afternoon after 3:00 PM. Always shoot with your shadow pointing toward the target. In the photo you submitted, the sunlight is on the other side of the train and that will almost never make it on RP.

Also, spend some time browsing the new photos each day. Look at the lighting and composition. After a while, you'll become very critical of your own work....which is what you have to be to improve. Frustrating? You bet. Maddening at times? Absolutely. A year ago, I'd have been hard-pressed to get anything into RP. Now, I have 50 shots up there. Have patience. Learn to get the most out of your camera. Read the manual carefully and practice. You'll get there.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rails Photography
Another question: my ISO. that affecting it? I shoot at ISO 1600 (the highest my cam goes) perhaps ISO 200 for this? It was pulling off the siding wouldnt do that with Hercules lol btw Hercules was an intermodal
Yes set it at 200 ISO and never over 400, you will have a hard time getting 400 to look good 800 Up just wont make it. what works for me in full daylight is ISO 200, 1/500 at F10 or F11 in Manual . You will have to test shoot and find your history-gram, so you can see if your getting right before the train get there. Then all you have to think about is how to frame it. try it out and see if it makes working it in PS easier.