Old 05-29-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
norfolksouthern

Default Poor lighting (Cloudy)

But, umm actually there was sky not cloudy. Just sky with partly cloudy with sun. And, yeah they rejected my photo here,

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=162372756

But sometimes they accepts with anybody's photos with few cloudy. Like this,

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=326004&nseq=10

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=325990&nseq=3

Sorry about I copy anybody's photos just show and discussion...

So I don't understand know why they rejected my photo reason?

- David
Old 05-29-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

David,

There is no sunlight on the train itself and the sky is washed out.

Both images that you shared had sky to see. In the diesel shot, the train is lit by sun light. In the image of the tender, it is a unique shot and angle. While your image is nicely done, it is a more standard wedgie with locomotives that are easy to shoot in lot's of places.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Hello David, I notice that you seem to have a problem with overexposing your shots. You may want to adjust your camera so that the exposure time is a little shorter, and see how that works out for you.

If you shoot raw, I think you may be able to fix it and possibly get it accepted. Here's how I reworked your photo.

Also, pay attention to where the sun lights up the train the most. If there is more light on the side of the train then maybe you should be taking a photo showing more of the side and getting less of the nose where there is more shadow.

Chris Z
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NS By David Nutter 3 copy.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	661.3 KB
ID:	5493  
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned

Thats not a very photogenic location IMHO. Can you try to find somewhere else? Those power lines kill it for me, its just a wedgie in a bad location to me under bad lighting conditions.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
norfolksouthern

Freerick (Charles),

That's interesting that somehow that depends with weather conditions a during with sky or wash out without sunlight or with. Umm..just another time I do again. But there actually was sky with cloudy like medium so that strange..

Chris Z,

Do how I fix with my 5D with exposure time? And, I run with single shots only. And, between 40 to 300 ISO speeds. And, I don't know about time no idea..

Umm...okay I will do more with another time and, maybe I will show you with my photos that what you think about that if work or more.

troy12n,

Ah sorry I can't find do anything kinds a places without power lines because there fully power lines over about 50 or 200 or so as miles away. Mean I can't finds any kinds for good places without power lines. Sorry Troy..

- David
Old 05-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Freericks
Met Fan

David,

It looks like Chris Z has found the sky there that I was not seeing. You can make that adjustment in editing for sure.

The black color of the Norfolk Southern engines can trick the light meter on your camera, making it overexpose. Best thing to do is to do some light meter readings before the train gets there, and then set the camera t manually expose for them (or even to manually expose for an extra stop down).

You may then have to lighten the power a little, so it does not look like a black blob in your frame, but you will capture the sky and surroundings in nice detail.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

Just to note that Chris's version looks ghostly. I noted a halo around the train in the thumbnail.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
norfolksouthern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
David,

It looks like Chris Z has found the sky there that I was not seeing. You can make that adjustment in editing for sure.

The black color of the Norfolk Southern engines can trick the light meter on your camera, making it overexpose. Best thing to do is to do some light meter readings before the train gets there, and then set the camera t manually expose for them (or even to manually expose for an extra stop down).

You may then have to lighten the power a little, so it does not look like a black blob in your frame, but you will capture the sky and surroundings in nice detail.
Okay, that all right so now I understand about that. And, light meter? Like little dots with color red that's right?

- David
Old 05-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
Freericks
Met Fan

I don't have a 5D, so I am not certain what you are seeing with your light meter. Maybe someone with a 5D can help here.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Freericks
Met Fan

By the way, another option is the Rule of 16 (which I was just taught recently after four decades of photography).

This only applies on sunny days...

Here's a link that explains it better than I can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number
Old 05-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
troy12n
Banned

I was just looking through today's submissions and wow, lots of partially lighted noses...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
norfolksouthern

Thanks Charles for the link!

Earlier again they rejected so now I understand how to work on it.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=819885&key=0

- David
Old 06-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #13
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksouthern View Post
And, light meter? Like little dots with color red that's right?

- David
Are there 6 or 9 of them in a star shape in the centre of your viewfinder? If so, they're you're auto-focus points.

The light meter is down the bottom of your viewfinder and has a little arrow that points on a scale from -2 to 0 to +2. When it is on O you know the photo is correctly exposed for that scene. On cloudy days, I sometimes head toward -2 because the shutter speed is too slow to capture the train without motion blur. At night, I sometimes head toward +2 because the shutter speed will be too fast and make the image too dark.

Hope this helps!

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #14
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
But, umm actually there was sky not cloudy. Just sky with partly cloudy with sun.
- David
You have an LCD on the back of your camera, It shows if set up a histogram and thats something all need to look at. You take a shot and adjust the setting off of it, Thats how to get the shots right so you have the best to work with on your PC. It takes time but what you have is a black NS and a light sky that looks haze and haze is the hardest to work with. A blue sky with no haze will give little problems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
By the way, another option is the Rule of 16 (which I was just taught recently after four decades of photography).

This only applies on sunny days...

Here's a link that explains it better than I can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number
I see you found the Wiki to Sunny 16 brother Charles! Most excellent! As Professor Grumpy has taught. When one stops learning they are dead,or either need to get on away from me right now !
Cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #16
Cranky

Quote:
Thanks Charles for the link!

Earlier again they rejected so now I understand how to work on it.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=819885&key=0

- David
David,

I do not post much, but I must ask you? Look at the shadow being casted from the roof off the nearby structure onto the wall. That roof only extends out 1.5- maybe 2ft. That is a pretty big shadow being casted. In saying this,and the photo depicting common power. You may get hit with high sun. I do not know if it would effect you.What I do know,is this is excellent example of what to look for when there is not a train present. Look at structures to gauge how bad shadows maybe.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #17
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
Look at structures to gauge how bad shadows maybe.
Tricks of the trade, Poles, you! its there all the time.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #18
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
Tricks of the trade, Poles, you! its there all the time.
Very very true, Many of the last few poles near the tracks are down in our area except the rat nests in town. Also speaking for myself, I hate poles, I hate them like taxes. I try not to shoot near them,be near them etc etc. There is nothing worst than a bunch of crocked poles with ratty lines to just take away from what could be a somewhat good shot.The one exception is the Overland Route, and a few in Iowa. I am sure I just upsetted the pole roster shooters of America, Oh well ! And if they knocked all the poles down,Photoshop sells would drop also! But then again my lights would stay on! We must not forget the rail itself. How much shadow is that flange casting!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:02 AM   #19
norfolksouthern

MichaelJ;

I think possible with 8 or 9 with dots into LCD and, color is red light. I was check my lens so there are auto not manual. And, I using auto with shutter speed. That's why I never get a balance with my D50 with menu so just using auto and, auto with shutter speed but I able to change but I bit terrible if I fix with my 50D possible will get mess up or don't know.

milwman;

Thanks so I would try to check histogram when I take photos there alot a haze something then able to fix a balance or something so hope made it and, thanks for help! And, sorry I know few peoples can't stand their poles so there poles pretty very long way over miles about 100 or so. But I should stand different the beside near station but I stuck because if I stand on different the beside then the sun effect front of me will maybe RP would NOT accept that somehow...

Cranky;

Yeah that happened when I had hit with bad photo due high sun and heavy shadow on the below of trains but I should go to different the beside near station but too late so somehow RP rejected as well.

- David
Old 06-01-2010, 03:43 AM   #20
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
MichaelJ;

, I using auto with shutter speed. That's why I never get a balance with my D50 with menu so just using auto and, auto with shutter speed but I able to change but I bit terrible if I fix with my 50D possible will get mess up or don't know.
Thanks so I would try to check histogram when I take photos there alot a haze something then able to fix a balance or something so hope made it
- David
Shoot on M, Far less work presetting the camera and taking test shots then fixing it in Photo shop. Trust us on this, the guys that shoot AV or TV or P show up here and can't figure out why it's not coming out right. The sun is out and unless there is a cloud it stay the same brightness so you don't need to change settings much. so set it check it shoot.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:41 AM   #21
norfolksouthern

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
Shoot on M, Far less work presetting the camera and taking test shots then fixing it in Photo shop. Trust us on this, the guys that shoot AV or TV or P show up here and can't figure out why it's not coming out right. The sun is out and unless there is a cloud it stay the same brightness so you don't need to change settings much. so set it check it shoot.
Thanks for examples. Most time I use on "M" on my 50D.

- David