Old 02-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S
Default Space Shuttle Endeavour Launch

As most of you know from having seen my images that I love to shoot the very fast Shay locomotive. Well recently I attended the launch of STS-130 and below are the results.

You can view more photos of the launch at this link. http://scriptunasimages.smugmug.com/...deavour-Launch

#1 Canon 30D and 10-22

#2 Canon 40D and 70-200F2.8L IS

#3 Canon 30D and 10-22

#4 Canon 7D and 500L + 1.4x
Old 02-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
Walter S

Old 02-21-2010, 03:41 AM   #3
Walter S

#9 For the first launch attempt I was at the Turn Basin, near the Press Site.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:01 AM   #4
stlgevo51

Amazing! I wish I could witness a shuttle launch! I bet it was amazing at night! I wish I could shoot photos that well, too!
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
JimThias

Great job, Walter. 2 and 4 stand out to me the most (although 1 is quite cool with the rays of light).

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Walter S

Thanks Jake and Jim. All the preparation really paid off I think.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
ac4400cw

Awesome sight! Thanks.
ac4400cw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:57 AM   #8
Walter S

Glad you enjoyed them.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:22 AM   #9
bigbassloyd

I still hate you Walter.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #10
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

Great work. I have one launch on slides I need to scan in from the 90's. That was it. Once again Great work and thanks for sharing..Ken

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
Walter S

Thanks, Loyd.

Thanks, Ken. Glad you enjoyed them!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
KevinM

Nice stuff, Walter! I don't think I could bring myself to take pictures at one of these. I'd be too busy just soaking it all in.

A buddy of mine who retired as an AF Test Pilot attended a night shot as a guest of the Commander who was going on that particular mission. My buddy was at the Banana River VIP Site, which I believe is the closest they will let you get. He said the most nerve-wracking aspect of observing the launch was having to stand with the Commander's wife, hoping to God that everything went OK. He also said that the most surprising aspect was how quickly it was gone.

I have talked to a couple of astros who have taken "the ride". They described the ride on the SRMs as like going down the bumpiest road you can imagine at 100 mph....so rough it is hard to read the instruments precisely. It smooths out after SRM sep. The ride is a steady 3 Gs until the mains cut off. When that happens, they say the feeling is euphoric. As one put it: "Damn, we're ALIVE and we're on orbit!"

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #13
Walter S

These were shot from Banana River viewing site, a place I never imagined getting to shoot from. Everything just fell into place and I knew the right people.

Everyone told me that I should only take a few photos and then watch the launch. I just cant do that, looking back at the photos is what really puts it all into perspective for me, anything less would be a failure haha

I did however start watching after about +25. I hadnt seen a shuttle launch since I was little so it was so good to see a launch before the program ends. I hope to make a couple more before they stop it in Sept.

I have seen a couple cockpit videos on youtube from launch, I can only imagine what they are feeling and thinking.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
I hadnt seen a shuttle launch since I was little so it was so good to see a launch before the program ends. I hope to make a couple more before they stop it in Sept.
Tough to imagine that this program is about to end. I was a child of the space program. I remember the day Glenn took the ride.....his FIRST ride! I stayed up all night to watch the moonwalks. I remember the day John Young and Bob Crippen took the Columbia into space for the first time. Ol' John's pulse rate 30 seconds before lift-off was 61. He's still my hero. I have been to KSC, but have never seen a launch. Would love to go.

Also tough to believe that the era of a winged spacecraft is ending. Real pilots LAND their ships. Parachutes are for emergencies. I guess that's what we're going back to with Orion.

It's amazing to me that the latest generations don't visit museums any more. The Apollo Saturn Museum at KSC should be a requirement for every young American. Damn Star Trek and all of the subsequent sci-fi movies and TV shows. The Apollo program was an adventure that was REAL. We did it with B707-era technology and damn if it wasn't the coolest thing that we humans have ever done as a race. I am so lucky to have lived in this era.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
Walter S

Kevin, you really need to try and make a launch. April, May, July and September are the months of the remaining launches. It just wont be the same see the shuttle in the Smithsonian.

Its not looking good for Orion or human space flight for that matter right now. It was so sad talking to all the employees, couldnt find one who was not loosing a job. Hopefully that will change.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #16
Mgoldman

This dog is going places!

Nice shots, Walt.

; )

/Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WSDogShuttle.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	5221  
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #17
cblaz

Quote:
April, May, July and September are the months of the remaining launches.
April 5th (the Monday after Easter), May 14 (may be pushed back to May 30-June 5), July 29 and September 16. No, I don't have these dates memorized since I hope to make another 2 or 3 launches. Why do you ask?

- Chris
Old 03-01-2010, 03:13 AM   #18
Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
This dog is going places!

Nice shots, Walt.

; )

/Mitch
Good eye Mitch, I thought I noticed him while I was editing.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:15 AM   #19
Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
April 5th (the Monday after Easter), May 14 (may be pushed back to May 30-June 5), July 29 and September 16. No, I don't have these dates memorized since I hope to make another 2 or 3 launches. Why do you ask?

- Chris
Another sign that the shuttle program, and possible American Human Space Flight, is coming to a end, when you can memorize the remaining launch dates.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:20 AM   #20
KevinM

Quote:
Another sign that the shuttle program, and possible American Human Space Flight, is coming to a end, when you can memorize the remaining launch dates.
That's cuz we Americans always need to drive the latest, high-tech sports cars or SUVs. We can't be satisfied with an old, reliable, family sedan. The SL4 booster that the Russians use is essentially an uprated version of the rocket that took Yuri Gagarin into space BACK IN 1961!!! It may not be pretty, but it has a good safety record and the price per unit isn't ridiculous because they don't keep changing the design. If we're going to be able to afford to stay in the space business, we need to get a lot more practical.....kinda like the Russians.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:08 AM   #21
Walter S

I agree Kevin. I hope things work out and Constellation is somehow salvaged even though things arent looking very good for it. It could be decades until we send another human into space after this year. The Russians are charging like 50+mil per American they send into space.

Last edited by Walter S; 03-01-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #22
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Great shots, What's wrong with them is they cost to much to launch and heat tiles are damaged to easily, Just time before they have a failure. With 2 lost now in flight its time to go to a safer platform for launches and recovery. Just think of them as a Ford Model T, The model A will be better down the road. I too never see one go up and most likely wont.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #23
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
Great shots, What's wrong with them is they cost to much to launch and heat tiles are damaged to easily, Just time before they have a failure. With 2 lost now in flight its time to go to a safer platform for launches and recovery. Just think of them as a Ford Model T, The model A will be better down the road. I too never see one go up and most likely wont.
I think of them more like Concordes and hope the "next one down the road" will come sooner then the overdue replacement for the Concorde. I never got a chance to see a Shuttle launch (yet), but I was fortunate enough to have flown at Mach II on the Concorde.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #24
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I think of them more like Concordes and hope the "next one down the road" will come sooner then the overdue replacement for the Concorde. I never got a chance to see a Shuttle launch (yet), but I was fortunate enough to have flown at Mach II on the Concorde.

/Mitch
Frame the certificate if you received one, Mitch. The Mach 2+ club isn't exactly growing. There are no certificated civil aircraft that will reach that kind of speed and even the pilots of high performance military aircraft seldom, if ever, achieve the kind of straight line speed that Concorde did. Most of the 4th generation fighters can't exceed Mach 1 without afterburners and use of those for any period of time severely limits the range. Most will not come near Mach 2 except with a clean airplane, which severely limits it's military usefulness. F-22 may be an exception on both counts, because it can supercruise without burner and carries all weapons and fuel internally. Still, Mach 2+ is pretty much the playground of the test pilot.

Some day, we can tell our kids and grandkids...."hey, I remember when we could cross the Atlantic in 3.5 hrs.....now, it takes 8."

My RP stuff is here.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #25
troy12n
Banned

The space shuttle program is a joke, it existed for the most part as a huge government subsidy of Rockwell International whose technicians (now Boeing) more or less do all the legwork of maintaining the shuttle and it's infrastructure. You would not believe how many contractors work on the shuttle.

The original intent was good, a re-usable space vehicle, but in practice, mostly due to technology limitations of the time, it is hugely inefficient.

I live in Florida and witnessed the first, second and several other shuttle launches as well as Apollo launches from the banks of the Banana river (which used to smell HORRIBLE) so I have always been interrested in space flight, but it became a huge government mess. I am not sure what direction they are going in, but they had to break from the shuttle program.

Those are nice pics by the way, I think you posted them on FM Forums too?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote