Old 04-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
Fitz

Default More Advice

Hey guys I submitted a set of pictures everyone was rejected and I can understand some but some of the others I don't.
Really getting the feeling some of these would be excepted if I were a paying member of this site. Also I was wondering if there was a place where I could see the credentials of the screeners.

I don't understand what the deal with this one is.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=978421626

and this one
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=672571104

I had some bad Info I know I forgot to change it but that wasn't the reason for rejection so.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...3&key=63659858
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Hey guys I submitted a set of pictures everyone was rejected and I can understand some but some of the others I don't.
Really getting the feeling some of these would be excepted if I were a paying member of this site.
Nope, you're 100% wrong. It just doesn't work that way here, as a few of the "paying members" of this site will surely chime in and tell you.

Quote:
Also I was wondering if there was a place where I could see the credentials of the screeners.
Why? What do the credentials of the screeners have to do with anything? It's a private site, owned and run the way THEY want to run it.

Quote:
I don't understand what the deal with this one is.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=978421626
WAY too saturated. Tone it down a bit and it'll look fine. It also needs some slight CW rotation. However, you probably should have shot it more straight on since the entire side of the train that's visible is shaded. Because of that, it COULD get hit with poor lighting/backlit since it's just a wedgie shot.

Backlit, no nose light, bad cropping/composition and train cut off.

Quote:
I had some bad Info I know I forgot to change it but that wasn't the reason for rejection so.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...3&key=63659858
Backlit, no nose light, bad cropping/composition.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 04-14-2010 at 04:48 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Here we go again. Just because people may pay for the Elite membership doesnt mean you get a free pass. Each rejection reason is a legit reason.

On the first rejection I think they check the wrong reason, it has poor lighting.

I dont understand why you need to see the screeners credentials?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
Joe the Photog

Jim's dead on in every regard of his post. As for paying members, I have 632 shots on Railpictures.... not a paying member, either.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Agreed with Jim! I'm a paying member and am quite familiar with rejections. It's ridiculous and amusing for you to even think the elite members have "special" treatment.

Just to back up my statement, I've attached two screenshots from my profile and rejection bin.

Chase
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RP.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	5375  
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
Fitz

Thanks for the complete lack of advice. I just don't exactly understand some of the rejections I get considering several of the rejected photos in the past do make me money. Like I said I can understand alot of this set mostly because things have yet to green up around here. They won't be ones going up as selling ones for obvious reasons.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:19 AM   #7
Fitz

What makes these ones better

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=40511
Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
Joe the Photog

What advice are you looking for? You gave us three examples of your work and we told you why the rejections were dead on. The lighting sucks in all of them. It's very good that you make money off your photos. You've just proven a point we try to make around here -- that RP is not the end all of railroad photography. Congratulations. That saves about three pages of posts from various members.

Bottom line: the admins make the rules for their site. The screeners decide which shots they want to let in and which they don't. We on this forum can give you advice on whether we agree with them or not. In the case of your three shots, we seem to agree. Poor lighting.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #9
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Just because the shots dont have greenery doesn't mean anything, the lighting is just poor. I don't get what you mean by selling and stuff?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #10
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Who said they were better? Or, for that matter, worse? Out of all the thousands of photos on this site, I have no doubt you could find many that would have us scratching our heads as to how they got in the database. That does not change the fact that the three shots you had rejected were rejected for valid reasons.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:54 AM   #11
Ween

Josh,

I think the problem might be your expectations of RP compared to what you expect when you're getting paid for your photography. RP has it's own rules of the road, so to speak, and once you get a handle on what they're looking for vs. what your expect based on previous interactions with regard to your photos, you'll see it has nothing to do with being a paying member or even the credentials of the screeners.

With that being said, let's take a look:

Photo 1: It does seem oversaturated. That orange is really orange in your shot. As you know, I'm an ACe man, but I haven't seen one look that radiant around here! Also like Jim said, it's a bit unlevel; that's easily fixable in whatever photo editing software you're using.

Photo 2: This is certainly a valid rejection reason: "Poor lighting (Backlit): The image is backlit or doesn't feature enough light on the nose or visible sides of the subject," the bolded part being the killer for RP. RP likes the nose to be bathed in good light. The best way you can ensure you're getting enough nose light is to look where your shadow is pointing. If your shadow is pointing to the train, you'll be golden. In this shot, your shadow is going to be pointing perpendicular to the train, which means the train is too side-lit for RP's tastes.

Photo 3: See the remarks for Photo 2 above. Also, this one could have been dinged for Bad Cropping. There's just too much dead space on the left side of the photo with everything bunched to the right. With the light you had in this shot, it would have been better for you to move back and to your left and take more of a profile shot which would have emphasized the well-lit side of the train and taken emphasis off the poorly-lit nose.

Hope that helps. It just take a little bit of time and patience to get what RP is looking for. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find your acceptance rates will go up and your frustration will go down. Good luck!

Chris
Old 04-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #12
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Thanks for the complete lack of advice. I just don't exactly understand some of the rejections I get considering several of the rejected photos in the past do make me money. Like I said I can understand alot of this set mostly because things have yet to green up around here. They won't be ones going up as selling ones for obvious reasons.
Joe is correct. You posted rejections and you received accurate feedback stating the rejection reasons were spot on. That sounds like "advice" to me.

As it stands now, I don't think your attitude is very charming and if you continue to post here with that attitude, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of advice to be provided.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:59 AM   #13
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Eh, I'm pretty sure Jim's advice was spot on.

Don't oversaturate your photos to the point where they become nuclear, and don't upload wedgies of trains with completely shaded noses. It's not rocket science...
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #14
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
Eh, I'm pretty sure Jim's advice was spot on.

Don't oversaturate your photos to the point where they become nuclear, and don't upload wedgies of trains with completely shaded noses. It's not rocket science...
It is when you're in one of two situations:
1: You've had photos that have never been rejected by anybody or anything for years, so you figure you can do anything with them
2: You're young and due to various reasons think you're the greatest thing since AF cameras (And we see a lot of those, and I was one once..)
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
Fitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Josh,

I think the problem might be your expectations of RP compared to what you expect when you're getting paid for your photography. RP has it's own rules of the road, so to speak, and once you get a handle on what they're looking for vs. what your expect based on previous interactions with regard to your photos, you'll see it has nothing to do with being a paying member or even the credentials of the screeners.

Photo 1: It does seem oversaturated. That orange is really orange in your shot. As you know, I'm an ACe man, but I haven't seen one look that radiant around here! Also like Jim said, it's a bit unlevel; that's easily fixable in whatever photo editing software you're using.

Photo 2: This is certainly a valid rejection reason: "Poor lighting (Backlit): The image is backlit or doesn't feature enough light on the nose or visible sides of the subject," the bolded part being the killer for RP. RP likes the nose to be bathed in good light. The best way you can ensure you're getting enough nose light is to look where your shadow is pointing. If your shadow is pointing to the train, you'll be golden. In this shot, your shadow is going to be pointing perpendicular to the train, which means the train is too side-lit for RP's tastes.

Photo 3: See the remarks for Photo 2 above. Also, this one could have been dinged for Bad Cropping. There's just too much dead space on the left side of the photo with everything bunched to the right. With the light you had in this shot, it would have been better for you to move back and to your left and take more of a profile shot which would have emphasized the well-lit side of the train and taken emphasis off the poorly-lit nose.

Hope that helps. It just take a little bit of time and patience to get what RP is looking for. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find your acceptance rates will go up and your frustration will go down. Good luck!

Chris
Thank you for actually giving me advice on how to improve the pictures to this sites tastes and not coming out swinging and getting hyper defensive. This is actual advice which is what I asked for. I didn't ask to be told the exact same thing the screeners said thats not advice thats rejection reasons.
Thank you.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #16
Fitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Joe is correct. You posted rejections and you received accurate feedback stating the rejection reasons were spot on. That sounds like "advice" to me.

As it stands now, I don't think your attitude is very charming and if you continue to post here with that attitude, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of advice to be provided.

Chase
I'm not the one who came out here swinging and getting all defensive. I simply asked if there was a place I could view the credentials of the screeners and the very first post comes out swinging and telling me how thatís a stupid question and doesnít matter, maybe a simple no would have done the trick. Simply telling me what the screeners said isnít advice I can read that. I want advice on improving them. Of course Iím going to take an attitude when the first three posts on here gave me nothing but attitude.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #17
Freericks
Met Fan

You need to re-read the first response you got. It gave you advice on how to improve the first shot (which is gone now, by the way... did it get in on appeal?), and explained why there was no way to improve the next two shots (the sun was not on the nose of the train).

As to the credentials question, of course that was adversarial. Whether or not you felt it was, anyone reading it is going to see it as an attack.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
This is actual advice which is what I asked for. I didn't ask to be told the exact same thing the screeners said thats not advice thats rejection reasons.
Thank you.
Let's see, being told your photo is unlevel, badly cropped/composed and poor lighting IS advice. That means you level the shot, crop/compose it better and shoot with better lighting (ie: nose of the engine lit, as pointed out in my original post....aka, ADVICE). Perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension skills, as the quote below surely displays that you have an issue with that.

Quote:
I simply asked if there was a place I could view the credentials of the screeners and the very first post comes out swinging and telling me how that’s a stupid question and doesn’t matter
Now that is a blatant LIE. Let's review the "very first post" and what was stated:

Quote:
Why? What do the credentials of the screeners have to do with anything? It's a private site, owned and run the way THEY want to run it.
Gee, NO WHERE in that quote do I see anything about being stupid and not mattering.

Quote:
maybe a simple no would have done the trick.
"No" would be the same thing as it "doesn't matter." So which is it, you don't want it "doesn't matter" or you want "no?"

Quote:
Simply telling me what the screeners said isn’t advice I can read that. I want advice on improving them. Of course I’m going to take an attitude when the first three posts on here gave me nothing but attitude.
You didn't ask for advice in the body of your post. You repeated the phrase "don't understand" a couple of times when asking about the rejections. I (and the others) made it clear to you what those rejections meant you didn't understand.

Here's your problem...YOU came out swinging from the start with a defensive attitude toward the screeners. Had you posted your rejections and how to improve on them, the replies in this thread would have been completely different. Instead, you put the fault of your mistakes on someone else instead of yourself. That is NOT asking for advice.

Oh yeah...

Quote:
WAY too saturated. Tone it down a bit and it'll look fine. It also needs some slight CW rotation. However, you probably should have shot it more straight on since the entire side of the train that's visible is shaded. Because of that, it COULD get hit with poor lighting/backlit since it's just a wedgie shot.
Not advice? Reading...comprehension...skills....

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 04-14-2010 at 08:59 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #19
Fitz

Since your first quote Jim you have been condescending and rude with me. You have set that tone very well with every response you have given to me on this thread. Same with Joe you don't have to blatantly say it for it to still be true. The tone of your first posts said it all.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #20
Ween

Josh,

Don't take it personally...that's just how Jim and Joe come across. You're pretty new here and don't know "the lay of the land" yet with regard to us "regulars." After you've been around awhile, you'll see that Jim and Joe are straight shooters. It's nothing personal and nothing to get defensive about.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #21
Fitz

I see what your saying but there is a difference between being a straight shooter and doing it in a condesending nature.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #22
JRMDC

Quote:
Really getting the feeling some of these would be excepted if I were a paying member of this site. Also I was wondering if there was a place where I could see the credentials of the screeners
Your lead into this thread challenged the site's integrity, which established you as someone who looked to be coming in with guns blazing. And especially given that two of your shots (the third disappeared before I could see it) clearly established you as having shots not up to RP standards (no matter how many other shots you have, not seen here, that might be good or published). Someone who walks in with weak material and an attitude re RP integrity isn't getting off to a good start in this forum.

Quote:
After you've been around awhile, you'll see that Jim and Joe are straight shooters. It's nothing personal and nothing to get defensive about.
Quote:
I see what your saying but there is a difference between being a straight shooter and doing it in a condesending nature.
You didn't come in neutral, you came in with bias.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #23
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Since your first quote Jim you have been condescending and rude with me. You have set that tone very well with every response you have given to me on this thread. Same with Joe you don't have to blatantly say it for it to still be true. The tone of your first posts said it all.
Simply not true. Go back and look at what they both wrote in their first posts and read it without adding a voice of attitude to it in your head. Most e-mails and forum posts can be read many ways, all of which is in the mind of the reader, not of the poster.

I do understand where you are coming from... your work was judged in a way that you didn't like and then you came here to find sympathy, but instead were given honesty. When I first began posting here I frankly felt really taken aback by some posts from folks whom I now respect. The latter came from taking the time to really read what was being said and not adding a belittling tone to it all in my head.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #24
Fitz

Quote:
Josh,

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Your lead into this thread challenged the site's integrity, which established you as someone who looked to be coming in with guns blazing. And especially given that two of your shots (the third disappeared before I could see it) clearly established you as having shots not up to RP standards (no matter how many other shots you have, not seen here, that might be good or published). Someone who walks in with weak material and an attitude re RP integrity isn't getting off to a good start in this forum.

You didn't come in neutral, you came in with bias.
I had no bias I asked if the credentials were available itís a valid question itís not saying a thing against this site so maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions. All I wanted to do was read the credentials if they were available never did I say I didn't agree with their decisions and never did I say I thought this sites integrity was poor.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #25
JRMDC

Quote:
and never did I say I thought this sites integrity was poor.
The following is saying that paid members can get lower-quality shots on the site.

Quote:
Really getting the feeling some of these would be excepted if I were a paying member of this site.
You may not view that as a challenge to integrity, I for one do. Maybe I am just more familiar with what RP is trying to be, or what I observe it trying to be, since I don't know the owners and what is in their heads.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote