Old 01-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
DanCioffi

Default New Railroad Photo Contest

My museum is hosting a railroad photo contest this spring. You can find out more about it on our website

http://FloridaRailroadExperience.org/PhotoContest
DanCioffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
JRMDC

You might want to update the web page, which gives 10/21/11 as a deadline; the PDF shows 2/24/12, presumably correctly.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
JRMDC

Also, it's a little onerous in this day and age, not to mention expensive, to expect entries to be printed 8x8 to 13x9, mounted on foam, and shipped to you. I suppose that is less onerous, at least psychically, for people who live locally or otherwise have some connection down there. Why not just have finalists send down prints? The first wave of judging is online anyway.

I'm not a big fan of having the first cut be by popular vote online. On the other hand, I can look at RP view counts and so forth and get a sense of what is likely to work! Popularity first! It will help to have a large family and friends group, as one of the webpages suggests explicitly.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-04-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
JimThias

Too much to read on that contest page (I really didn't need a railroading history lesson before it got to the details of the contest), and all I kept seeing were 2011 dates. I'll pass.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
Mgoldman

Florida has trains???

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Good luck.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Florida has trains???

/Mitch
See also Bob Pickering.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
See also Bob Pickering.
Now you did it - you're officially on Troy's bad side!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Quote:

/Mitch
R'uh, r'oh! Well, last I heard, Troy was passing through Columbia today. I hope one of South Carolina's drivers didn't run him off the road into a ditch somewhere. And if one did, that it wasn't me.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
R'uh, r'oh! Well, last I heard, Troy was passing through Columbia today. I hope one of South Carolina's drivers didn't run him off the road into a ditch somewhere. And if one did, that it wasn't me.
I about road raged on someone around Newberry on I26. Some prick was driving slow in the "hammer lane" and I gave them the flash to get over. Mother**** slowed down and wouldnt let anyone pass, this went on for like 20 miles, created quite the backup until eventually the dickhead exited off.

At any rate, I got to Columbia around 6:30, set up on the East (North?) bank of the river there and waited. Got 1 shot of a NS freight Northbound and that was it. After sitting in the cold for 3 hours, I headed out, drove south down 321 to I95 in Hardeeville. Saw exactly 1 train on the S-Line, an empty coal train near Denmark (and one loaded coal train parked in the siding near Hardeeville). One thing I noticed, they seem to be radio code line to satellite on the S-Line south of Columbia, lots of signal workers working.

One of these days when I have more time I would like to railfan some of those shortlines they have up there.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
I do not claim to be the railfan king of Florida, lol

In fact, I go out of my way to shoot in other places because I dont want to have 50,000 pictures that look exactly the same.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I wondered what kind of luck you may have had. I saw 191 leave out late yesterday, around 1 p.m. which probably meant it's counterpart was also late getting in.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
skyliner

Default New Railroad Photo Contest

Before considering entry, take a look at the conditions specified, specifically:
---
By entering the exhibition or exhibition and contest, entrants grant Florida Railroad Experience a
royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce and create
derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently
developed, for any educational, promotional, publicity, exhibition, archival, scholarly and all other
standard Smithsonian purposes. Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit as
feasible. Florida Railroad Experience will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek
any additional approval in connection with such uses.
---
So...you are granting them the ability to use your photo for essentially any purpose, with no compensation to you ("will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses".)

And the winner gets...a trophy and a certificate. Seems like a pretty good deal, from their perspective.

From a photographer's persepective, however, my advice is "Run, Forrest, run!"

George Hamlin
skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #14
bigbassloyd

Sounds like a bum deal to me too George.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Too much to read on that contest page (I really didn't need a railroading history lesson before it got to the details of the contest), and all I kept seeing were 2011 dates. I'll pass.
Not to jump on these guys...but I'll pass as well. I'll have more luck filling out my 2011 tax return than going through all these rules. Plus---why pay for the "privilege" of having your work judged?

These photo contests are popping up all over the place, and increasingly they're modeled along these lines.

Not my cup of tea...
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #16
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Not to jump on these guys...but I'll pass as well. I'll have more luck filling out my 2011 tax return than going through all these rules. Plus---why pay for the "privilege" of having your work judged?

These photo contests are popping up all over the place, and increasingly they're modeled along these lines.

Not my cup of tea...
You interested in going into a business partnership Ron?

Loyd L.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #17
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
You interested in going into a business partnership Ron?

Loyd L.
Don't laugh---we could probably come up with some "contest" and solicit entries, gather in the money, and hand out some cheap trophies. It's done all the time for little girls: it's called a "beauty pageant." Just tune in an episode of "Toddlers and Tiaras" and you'll see all manner of idiotic parents doling out thousands of dollars for these things.

It's really no different that a "PCA" or something similar on RP.net. People are always seeking recognition and acceptance, no matter how ephemeral or shallow it may be. And---in some cases, they'll even pay for the "opportunity."
Old 01-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #18
troy12n
Banned

Request for urgent business relationship

dear flanary ron:

I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.

I am ministry of the treasury of the republic of america. My country has had crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 800 billion dollars us. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.

I am working with mr. Phil gram, lobbyist for ubs, who will be my replacement as ministry of the treasury in january. As a senator, you may know him as the leader of the american banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transactin is 100% safe.

This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that i should look for a reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.

Please reply with all of your bank account, ira and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren to wallstreetbailout@treasury.gov so that we may transfer your commission for this transaction. After i receive that information, i will respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds.

Yours faithfully minister of treasury paulson
Old 01-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #19
JimThias

Quote:
This contest is designed for amateur photographers. Professional Photographers (individuals who make 50% or more of their income from photography) are prohibited from entering the photo contest but should feel free to submit items for inclusion in the exhibition.
Bum deal. I guess I can't enter the contest anyway. Then again, all that work for a ribbon or glass trophy...on top of all the dollars spent? No thanks.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #20
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Request for urgent business relationship

dear flanary ron:
I get these all the time, but of course they're legit. I've provided them all my credit card numbers, PINs, social security numbers, etc. Life's good again.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #21
KevinM

Is anyone else getting a little tired of RP.net e-mails, photo contests and yes, even railroad magazines, who say they want us to sign over our work, but nearly always offer us nothing to acknowledge the fact that it costs us something to get these pictures?

In this case, the contest folks want us to incur expenses just to enter. There's no money on the line and they want open-ended rights to the photos. Sorry, I'll pass, thank you.

I got an e-mail the other night from a fellow photographer whose work and professionalism I really admire. He was pretty dismayed that some prominent railroad magazines have silently stopped paying for many of the railroad photographs they use in their publications. He lamented that by allowing these folks to make money on our backs, we are quickly approaching the no-return point on a very slippery slope. Bombs-on-target, my friend. I think we all need to start holding out for some form of paper compensation that includes pictures of Presidents, not pictures of trains.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #22
coborn35

Are there really professional railroad photographers? Who are they?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #23
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Are there really professional railroad photographers? Who are they?
If they can make enough from it to live on, they are the luckiest SOB's on the planet..

Loyd L.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #24
JRMDC

Kevin, you are pushing back against a pretty big engine. Like it or not, compared to 10-20 years ago, the market for RR images of image quality and composition suitable for use in trade press, calendars, and the like is now flooded with supply. Yup, price goes to zero. Too many of us do not need to be compensated for our equipment and time costs because we are doing it anyway as a hobby. I think that is just the reality. Some people might hold out, as you suggest, but I don't see a long run change, frankly.

And the quality doesn't need to be that high. For example, Railway Age has lots of really lousy shots, both editorial and in ads. It's quite surprising, actually.

J

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #25
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Like it or not, compared to 10-20 years ago, the market for RR images of image quality and composition suitable for use in trade press, calendars, and the like is now flooded with supply. Yup, price goes to zero.
Hi J.

It only goes to zero if the folks generating the images that are in demand allow that to happen. Admittedly, it may be a buyer's market, but that doesn't mean that our work is worthless, and that is essentially what SOME (not all) publications are saying by offering us nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Too many of us do not need to be compensated for our equipment and time costs because we are doing it anyway as a hobby.
We don't need to be compensated, eh? So, you intend to keep shooting your current camera until the shutter curtain breaks? Seriously, I hear way too many photogs complaining that they are unable to afford to replace/upgrade their gear. Meanwhile, certain publishing companies are ensuring their own profitability by using the work of those very people. Few of us here are looking to get rich taking pictures. But when someone else is making money using our stuff, we'd like at least a token acknowledgment that the stuff does have value, and that there is a cost to us to get them. A few bucks here and there add up. A few free magazines just makes for more clutter around the house.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote