Old 01-29-2021, 08:22 PM   #1
18 316

Default Understanding rejections

I thought I got a hang of what screeners look for in the month since I am posting my photos here, but today I got two rejections that got me mystified, so I'd like to ask the opinion of more seasoned users (since I understand we shouldn't pester the screeners themselves).

A few days ago I submitted this photo which was rejected for "Backlit (Nose)". I saw the screener was right, but I thought I'll at least make a second attempt after playing with highlights/shadows (I could get some other photos with the same problem accepted that way). But this clearly corrected version was rejected for "Uncorrected Reupload"! Could this be a mistake, or do screeners sometimes indicate this way that a photo is beyond rescue?

My second submission today was again rejected for "Backlit (Nose)". Now on this one, the nose is directly illuminated, but has a black livery, so at first I thought that there must be a clear error, and appealed. Now I'm having second thoughts: maybe the screener didn't like the darkness of the the buffer and coupler area? (If so, I shouldn't have appealed...)

Finally, let me ask a meta question. I read a claim in some other forum thread that user behaviour is monitored and one can lose appeal rights or have the number of daily submissions reduced. Except I couldn't find any page on the site where such rules are laid down. But now I'm worried because of the "Uncorrected Reupload" charge and because I appealed the second time in one month and may get rejected like I was the first time. Do you know any rules on this?
18 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:05 PM   #2
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

One thing I have noticed since I began submitting again is that they are strict on the Backlit rejection. I look at it as "You're not getting this shot on, period" rejection. Some of my rejections irk me for that like this one from today

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...56&key=9225402

But it's their site, their rules.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:17 PM   #3
ATSF666

They do not like photos that have the sun on the side leaving the nose dark. Your first photo is clearly that way. The second not so much so, but the nose has shadows on it from something else in the area. That's usually a no-no.

Joe's is a classic example of what they don't like.

Once in a while I have gotten some on, but it always takes a little subtle work in Photoshop to make that happen.

Yes, you can lose your rights to appeal for a number of reasons. Mine involved some choice four letter words for a rejection. I have heard of people even being banned for uploading photos that they view as unchanged. I couldn't see much if any difference between your first and second upload, so be careful.....

Last edited by ATSF666; 01-29-2021 at 09:21 PM.
ATSF666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:41 PM   #4
RobJor

OP - I can see several possible objections to the Finland photo but the database has only 209 photos from Finland. In my silly value set, I would rather see an "imperfect" photo from Finland than another sunny nose shot of NS etc. (71,000 or so).

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:04 PM   #5
18 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSF666 View Post
They do not like photos that have the sun on the side leaving the nose dark. Your first photo is clearly that way. The second not so much so, but the nose has shadows on it from something else in the area.
The shadows are from the loco's own railing. Personally I like side lighting on curved noses because it attenuates the curvature, but I got that the screeners on this site don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSF666 View Post
I couldn't see much if any difference between your first and second upload, so be careful.....
Look at the shadows, especially the nose that's the bone of contention.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:13 PM   #6
18 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
OP - I can see several possible objections to the Finland photo but the database has only 209 photos from Finland. In my silly value set, I would rather see an "imperfect" photo from Finland than another sunny nose shot of NS etc. (71,000 or so).

Bob Jordan
Well, I had one other Finland photo but won't even try with that, it's another with side-lit nose. (Especially now that I'm reduced to one photo per day.)
Old 01-30-2021, 09:36 PM   #7
miningcamper3

They reject for slightly dark noses, yet shots that are w-a-a-a-y too dark overall somehow get accepted.
Both 18 316 shots are very good IMHO, but again, RP's site, RP's taste in photos. Be sure to post them elsewhere (like Flickr).
miningcamper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #8
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper3 View Post
They reject for slightly dark noses, yet shots that are w-a-a-a-y too dark overall somehow get accepted.
Both 18 316 shots are very good IMHO, but again, RP's site, RP's taste in photos. Be sure to post them elsewhere (like Flickr).
Wait, you mean you don't like those shots that are 95% black frame because it's "moody"? (sarcasm)

In all seriousness ,I do agree with others, I'd much rather see some shots like the first reject even with the nose not directly lit. Nose lighting is preferred, but I think there are plenty of cases where it is not detrimental to the image as a whole and shouldn't be the end-all-be-all of rejection.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:30 PM   #9
18 316

For what it's worth, an update.

Two weeks ago, I got the second of the rejections in the thread-starter accepted after reuploading a version with only the buffer-coupler area brightened, and a comment to screeners note that the shadows on the middle part are from the handrail. This really taught me to watch out for finer details, a reason my rejection rate got down to one in seven for the past three weeks.

Image © 18 316
PhotoID: 762786
Photograph © 18 316

As for the first-mentioned rejection, and my meta-question about the rules of daily upload limit changes and whether that "uncorrected reupload" categorisation of a corrected photo had anything to do with it, I'm still completely in the dark.

First I used the contact form to write the screeners, but despite the encouraging "We take pride in personally answering all correspondence" line, I haven't heard back in three weeks. The original upload will disappear from the database in four days, so today I tried to broach my problem via an appeal (making clear I have no problem with a rejection just its reason). But the appeal was rejected with the standard canned message, and I have no idea what that means (did they not read the message, or they can't change the reason for rejection, or it didn't matter because my daily quota was reduced for reasons other than the incorrect "uncorrected reupload"?).

I saw in the forums that one admin is over-worked and also that there was an apparently years-long conflict with a now banned user (I know how disheartening that can be as a former co-admin of a site destroyed by egos that could not be appeased), still I wish communication were better... I guess I will just keep posting my photos.

Last edited by 18 316; 02-22-2021 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Grammar