Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default Please don't take this the wrong way, but....

There are more important things that getting shots on this web site. I know I'm a fine one to talk. In the past, I have got mad and angry at the screeners for rejecting certain shots. Maybe I will again in the future. And in some way maybe in the past my bluntness in answering questions about specific shots have been wrong. But there are way more important things than this site.

Don't get me wrong. I love Railpictures and I like getting views and Top of 24. One day, maybe I'll get a PCA or a SC. Yeah, that's right. I've never had either. But this site is fun. I enjoy seeing other peoples work. I sometimes try to beat people with specific shots or locations or engines. (Usually, they beat me. See also Patrick Treadaway's shots of the A&R CF7. Or AB(2)'s shot of the PICK coming out of the "Anderson Tunnel."

But this should be fun for us, a get away from regular life. If we happen to make a little money off it from time to time, that's great. If we get 19 out of 20 shots rejected, who cares? (And, yes, one time I went back and I was really on a 1 for 20 streak. I got so fed up with my luck, that I went through my external drive to find an oldier but goodie to uppload to break my streak. I found one, submitted it and it got acccepted. Then I did a search on the engine number. Yep. It was the exact same shot as another one I had loaded. Had to ask to have it taken down. So the one out of 20 also didn't make the database long term.)

I'm not trying to prech to you guys. But life should be fun. Have fun with photography. Try to learn the craft and get better every day. Don't be petty. There are more important things out there. I hope I learn this myself some day.

Edit to Add -- Except for reporting marks. That's serious.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 11-11-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I agree with everything else you've said, Joe, but this one is what I really agree with... And symbols...

But, after reading a rant on Facebook from a very well known contributor to this site, I've really came to realize exactly how inconsistant the screeners are. Other than that, and a certain screener bringing his personal opinions of me into his screening practice, RP is a great website.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
There are more important things that getting shots on this web site.
exactly

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
I agree with everything else you've said, Joe, but this one is what I really agree with... And symbols...

But, after reading a rant on Facebook from a very well known contributor to this site, I've really came to realize exactly how inconsistant the screeners are. Other than that, and a certain screener bringing his personal opinions of me into his screening practice, RP is a great website.
Steven, if you are referring to Chris, either a) what he said in the other thread is false or grossly distorted, so state your case, or b) what he said is basically true, in which case you really ought to stay quiet about it for a long, long time, basically, forever.

I wouldn't mind seeing that Facebook page, would be interesting.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing that Facebook page, would be interesting.
The Facebook status is actually what prompted me to write this thread. I'll link it, but I'm guessing he's got his privacy set that only his Facebook friends can read it --

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00001037705223

It's similiar to a lot of what we hear from other people -- only more articulate and no cuss words.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
The Facebook status is actually what prompted me to write this thread. I'll link it, but I'm guessing he's got his privacy set that only his Facebook friends can read it --

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00001037705223

It's similiar to a lot of what we hear from other people -- only more articulate and no cuss words.
OK. I don't have a facebook account so I can't even get so far as to see if I get access to the article. But now I know who it is.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
lock4244

I have a general rule that I try to follow... I submit a shot and if it gets panned I don't appeal and don't complain, nor do I post the reject asking for advice. It is what it is and if RP doesn't want the shot, so be it. I really started shooting for my own reasons and getting overly concerned about getting on RP is silly. Most of what I shoot is the same old stuff anyways, so it's not like the world will end if no one sees it.

I've stated in another thread that there is a simple formula for getting a shot on RP, and the site has more than it's share of well lit wedge shots (and I'm as guilty as anyone of adding to the glut). I try to submit something other than plain wedgies at a grade crossing.

I'd love to read that Facebook page (have always respected that persons photography), but I too am not a member.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
TAMR159

I'm kind of in the same boat on this one. I've had a lot of instances over the past year or so where I would upload, say, 5 photos, and have all 5 rejected. Upon appealing them, each and every one would get in. It didn't happen all the time, but it did seem to be consistently every single photo I submitted when it did happen, which leads me to believe it's a specific screener (not that I have any ability whatsoever to prove such a theory). Regardless, I have given up on Railpictures.net and have gone to using Flickr exclusively.
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159 View Post
Regardless, I have given up on Railpictures.net and have gone to using Flickr exclusively.
Well, that's too bad. How are you attracting views?

Checked out your flickr stuff, interesting that (back then) you uploaded this version

Image © Nick Wilson
PhotoID: 313942
Photograph © Nick Wilson

instead of this one

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickwilson159/5141845368/

I like them both (a lot!), like the flickr somewhat more, more elements of interest.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 11-11-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
coborn35

I guess for me, the hobby is more fun if I get to share it with a large audience.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
I submit a shot and if it gets panned I don't appeal and don't complain, nor do I post the reject asking for advice.
Everyone should go about it their own way and have fun with it their own way. But they put in the appeals system so the shot would get an extra pair of eyes. I try to use mine wisely. I'd say if I appeal one out of every ten shots, I'd be surprised. The forums are here for help too. Most of the time, the guys here help me see the rejection was correct.

Which, in all seriousness, is very helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
I really started shooting for my own reasons and getting overly concerned about getting on RP is silly.
I can't argue with that at all.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159
I'm kind of in the same boat on this one. I've had a lot of instances over the past year or so where I would upload, say, 5 photos, and have all 5 rejected. Upon appealing them, each and every one would get in. It didn't happen all the time, but it did seem to be consistently every single photo I submitted when it did happen, which leads me to believe it's a specific screener (not that I have any ability whatsoever to prove such a theory).
That thought had crossed my mind as well - I've just got too much going on both in and out of work at the moment and I'm getting tired of having to appeal shots to get them in

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #13
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

Name:  149188_152738748104048_100001037705223_283101_4874955_n.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  98.4 KB

I wonder if that is the photo in question, it's on his Facebook right after the post in question.

I will bring my rejects here in order to learn more.

It's def my escape. There is nothing more fun than hooking up the Sprint Aircard, turning on the laptop and watching tv via SlingPlayer while waiting for trains.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #14
JRMDC

that shot was accepted

Image © Steve Schmollinger
PhotoID: 344662
Photograph © Steve Schmollinger

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #15
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Steven, if you are referring to Chris, either a) what he said in the other thread is false or grossly distorted, so state your case, or b) what he said is basically true, in which case you really ought to stay quiet about it for a long, long time, basically, forever.
I'm going to be quiet for awhile, but, it's not either of the Chris's who are doing it, its another screener that needs to... Oh nevermind.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #16
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Since Steve brought it up, here are his photos that we've rejected in the past week, apparently causing the site to become "monotone and lacking in energy":

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=872483&key=0
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=306679339
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=855498117
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1141784571
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=350915787
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=912575013

Now, I'm sorry, and with all due respect to Steve (who is clearly an outstanding photographer), I don't see what's so special or creative about any of those photos. I don't see anything that would warrant their acceptance into the database.

And I'll go out on a limb and say that, had we accepted them, we'd be dealing with a whole slew of complaints from different people accusing us of being that dreaded word: inconsistent (which we'll be called no matter what we do, anyway).

We're never gonna please everyone. I came to accept that a long time ago. We pissed Steve off by rejecting his cloudy images and would have pissed others off if we didn't. We do the best we can, and if certain people take their ball and go home, that's their decision. Daily submissions, traffic, recognition, and revenues have never been better. That's good enough for me.

EDITED TO ADD: Perhaps it's time to 'open' the rejected photos pages back up to the public so that when people go on their little rants, others can see what they're actually complaining about.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Last edited by Chris Kilroy; 11-12-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:33 AM   #17
bigbassloyd

I think it's a great idea to have the rejects out in the open... I'll start:

Tear it open guys!
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=874664&key=0

note - taken from a 30 foot tall bridge with a 250mm lens on a crop sensor. Not standing on the roadbed.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:43 AM   #18
crazytiger

Thanks, Chris. I agree with you a lot. Its something I've noticed recently. Some of the people who have hundreds or even thousands of shots on, seem to be able to put in Cloudy shots that would be rejected if it weren't for the name. I'm not calling out the person, I'm just saying, thanks for staying this side of consistency on this issue and we could use it more. I don't think anything in any of these shots overcomes common/cloudy. Also, they weren't hard to find, though it took me a little while because I skipped shots that classified for textbook ones.

Image © James Belmont
PhotoID: 343345
Photograph © James Belmont

Image © James Belmont
PhotoID: 342625

Image © James Belmont
PhotoID: 339533

Image © James Belmont
PhotoID: 333974

Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 342779
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe

PhotoID: 344548

PhotoID: 300972

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:44 AM   #19
IHapsias

Quote:
Everyone should go about it their own way and have fun with it their own way. But they put in the appeals system so the shot would get an extra pair of eyes. I try to use mine wisely. I'd say if I appeal one out of every ten shots, I'd be surprised. The forums are here for help too. Most of the time, the guys here help me see the rejection was correct.

Which, in all seriousness, is very helpful.

I can't argue with that at all.
Even though I get a lot of rejections and I do get frustrated; I've yet to give in. I enjoy the site a lot and stride to do better, and whenever you break a rejection streak with a or 2 being accepted gives you the feeling of success, and to not give up.

The forums are by far one of the most helpful things I've been able to access for getting photos onto the website. Glad to have them, or it makes you wonder if it would be that much harder to get an accepted photo.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #20
troy12n
Banned

Wow, I dont know what this guy is so upset about... dont know his portfolio, but I dont know why he would even try some of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Thanks, Chris. I agree with you a lot. Its something I've noticed recently. Some of the people who have hundreds or even thousands of shots on, seem to be able to put in Cloudy shots that would be rejected if it weren't for the name.
I agree with this one. But let me say that, just because a photo is cloudy does not mean it cannot be done well. There are some nice cloudy ones on there, but the forementioned photos and rejections dont qualify.

Let me take this to another level (I WILL call this guy out). How can THIS happen?

Image © Thomas Johnson
PhotoID: 339586
Photograph © Thomas Johnson

Image © Thomas Johnson
PhotoID: 330968

Image © Thomas Johnson
PhotoID: 330010

Image © Thomas Johnson
PhotoID: 328946

Image © Thomas Johnson
PhotoID: 328112

I would add like 50 more of the identical shot I think. There are other offenders.

Last edited by troy12n; 11-12-2010 at 01:03 AM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #21
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Its something I've noticed recently. Some of the people who have hundreds or even thousands of shots on, seem to be able to put in Cloudy shots that would be rejected if it weren't for the name.
With All due respect, I agree with that.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #22
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I think it's a great idea to have the rejects out in the open... I'll start:

Tear it open guys!
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=874664&key=0

note - taken from a 30 foot tall bridge with a 250mm lens on a crop sensor. Not standing on the roadbed.

Loyd L.
I screened that shot originally. A note in the remarks field (or at least a private note to the screener) explaining that it wasn't shot while you were standing in the middle of the gauge, would have made all the difference. I gave it a PEQ solely because it looked like you were standing on the tracks.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:17 AM   #23
crazytiger

Troy, I also agree that cloudy can sometimes be a good thing. I know a lot of my favs are cloudy lit. Such as this one.
Image © Paul Robertson
PhotoID: 249950
Photograph © Paul Robertson

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #24
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Let me take this to another level (I WILL call this guy out). How can THIS happen?

I would add like 50 more of the identical shot I think. There are other offenders.
They may be "offenders" to you but it isn't against RP standards to post the same view over and over. If he wants to enjoy his hobby in that manner, that is his right. If RP wants to accept those, well, look, it is going to be TOUGH to set a standard like that in any fair way. The only practical way I can think of is for the screeners to remember certain people, which means treat them differently, more harshly, than others. I don't take much interest in those shots, but that is a lot different from saying I think RP should exclude them.

I take this as analogous to the general issue of wedgies. You can exclude boring wedgies, but then you exclude a good bit of the participation, BOTH on the upload and viewing sides.

J

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #25
california_railfan

Send a message via AIM to california_railfan

I'm not stirring the pot, but I would like to know who rejected this one the first time through... for underexposed...

The image is a 35 second exposure with flash bulbs providing the lighting on the pillars...

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

My Railpictures.Net Portfolio!

Or

To view my website, click here: Dadgari Photography

Last edited by california_railfan; 11-12-2010 at 01:28 AM.
california_railfan is offline   Reply With Quote