Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #51
Freericks
Met Fan

Actually, I've always been surprised at how some railfans do make it a competition (and this dates way back, way before RP or the internet).

That being said, I don't get it.

Sure, the lighting wasn't ideal on all those shots. But here's a secret. I didn't care. I didn't care so much that I didn't notice. Yep... I had to go back and look at them after reading this thread to see what others were complaining about. I was just so tickled to see those engines that I didn't notice.

Ignorance is bliss. And bliss is a damn fine place to be.

My compliments to Casey. My compliments to the NS. Keep it going.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #52
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Not that Troy needs anyone to go to bat for him, but that statement is mighty unfair to Troy, whose photography does not need defending.
On second look of my post, I'll retract that last sentence.
My RP.net Photos
Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #53
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

I agree with said above. Casey/NS has the right to upload their photos to Railpictures. Anyone can and there's no rule saying they can't. People complaining about how they are getting more views then your own work, so what, that's the way life is sometimes. You can't expect everything to go the way you want them. So all in all, just let Casey/NS do their thing and just enjoy these photos and units... Like Larry said above, these are historical moments and it's better to cherish them rather than rant about views.

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Old 04-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #54
KevinM

I have a complaint.

Why does everyone keep referring to these machines as UNITS??? These are LOCOMOTIVES, people! Heritage LOCOMOTIVES! Use the word "unit" anywhere else besides foamerville and no one would have the slightest idea what you are talking about!

A while back, I even saw a post in which someone referred to a steam engine as a "UNIT". Call 'em engines, steamers, tea-kettles.....anything but UNITS, PA-LEASE.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #55
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
What I am fascinated by, is why NS would want to get "their" photos out there first.

I mean really, what is in it for them?

I suspect the reason(s) are well thought out and have nothing to do with pleasing the foamtards.
At the time of this post, NS Corp. has 208,074 views on it's photos of the heritage units. What's in it for them is people seeing their name 200K+ times, which brings me to the following post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
PR to who though? Railroad magazines and websites of trains? I really don't think their clients (People who need to ship their products) care how pretty the paint is, they just want their products moved and at a competitive price. That's the bottom line. When those containers or box cars are going down the track they don't have any branding on them. in other words you don't have the, "Hey look at all those Walmart rail cars being moved by that pretty colored locomotive!"
Wrong! Clients and other partners DO care. I know for a fact that plenty of businesses and people in the railroad industry check Railpictures either for enjoyment, research, or any number of reasons. Out of those 208,704, yes, most are railfans but I'm sure a lot are clients or potential clients who may be impressed with what NS is willing to do for PR even for a small group of hobbyists. What about potential partners (i.e. other railroads) who have a choice between whom they want to do business with? They see that NS respects their history and how they got to where they are today and may want to work with and maybe even be a part of that history someday.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Old 04-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #56
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I have a complaint.

Why does everyone keep referring to these machines as UNITS??? These are LOCOMOTIVES, people! Heritage LOCOMOTIVES! Use the word "unit" anywhere else besides foamerville and no one would have the slightest idea what you are talking about!

A while back, I even saw a post in which someone referred to a steam engine as a "UNIT". Call 'em engines, steamers, tea-kettles.....anything but UNITS, PA-LEASE.
Nope....they're "units." This terminology is as old as multiple-unit diesel-electric motive power, going back to the earliest E-units, the FT freighters, etc. It has to do with the building block nature of how multiple "units" are m.u.ed together to make a block of motive power. In the technical railroad sense, a four-unit set of units would constitute the "locomotive." Also, a single unit would also be a locomotive, if it were a local, for example. A "locomotive" is thus what pulls a "train," be it one "unit" or ten "units."

If someone outside of "foamerville" (where is that?) didn't know, it really doesn't matter. There's an esoteric lexicon associated with any subject, and this is something that's just railroad specific, and technically correct.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #57
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

All I am saying is that it is too bad that NS didn't spend a little more time and perhaps money to get some better PR shots.

It ain't the photographers fault, you get what the client gives you and you try to make the best of it - like at a wedding with poorly dressed ugly people.

Further, I don't think the trespasser issue is the primary concern because everyone knows these things are going to be foamtard magnets for the life of the units.

I suspect the driving force for these units is probably all about copyright law, rather than a ra ra publicity deal.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #58
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
I have a complaint.

Well, in the case of of a steam locomotive, I'm with you 100% (until someone makes one that MUs).

Any road diesel that MUs however can be correctly referred to as a unit. This dates back to when AB, ABB, and ABBA locomotive sets were kept semi-permanently together and each diesel engine was a "unit."

And I aint now nor will I ever be a foamer. Stupid word. I am a railfan or railfbuff.

EDIT - Looks like Ron beat me to the punch, with more knowledge than I had too.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #59
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradorailfan View Post
So much for this being a hobby...
Railroad photography is some serious business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
As awful as you think Casey's photos are (they arn't....) our first look at the units otherwise would be crap like this.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=2945994
Several of the comments for the photo in that link provide enough evidence that perfect lighting and composition for these new units just...doesn't....matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Nope....they're "units." This terminology is as old as multiple-unit diesel-electric motive power, going back to the earliest E-units, the FT freighters, etc. It has to do with the building block nature of how multiple "units" are m.u.ed together to make a block of motive power. In the technical railroad sense, a four-unit set of units would constitute the "locomotive." Also, a single unit would also be a locomotive, if it were a local, for example. A "locomotive" is thus what pulls a "train," be it one "unit" or ten "units."

If someone outside of "foamerville" (where is that?) didn't know, it really doesn't matter. There's an esoteric lexicon associated with any subject, and this is something that's just railroad specific, and technically correct.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 04-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #60
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

Quote:
I have a complaint.

LOL! I refer diesels as units but steamers, I call them Steam Engines or even Steamies

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Old 04-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #61
Ron Flanary

A few folks have asked (off list) what my shot looked like yesterday. Here it is. I don't think I'll post this to RP, since the world only needs so many roster shots of this unit.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCF_0056-w.jpg (286.5 KB, 533 views)
Old 04-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #62
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry76 View Post
They cannot keep it stashed in doors to wait to for optimum sunshine angles in December!
I didnt ask for that, please dont be so overdramatic...

Quote:
All in all I am beginning to see more and more competitive natures when it comes to RR photography and its outrageous. Railfanning is NOT a bloodsport! You are NOT going to win an award for the most views yadda yadda yadda.
You have 1 post here and know nothing about me, if you did, you would know I am not one of those competitive "bloodthirsty" foamers... in fact that's one of the things I despise about the hobby. I am so competitive I have posted like 3 shots in the last 2 months.

Last edited by troy12n; 04-20-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #63
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
I am getting worried here my friend, because above quote sounds just like something "he" would say.
You know, that thought did cross my mind a few minutes after I posted it
Old 04-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #64
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
You know, that thought did cross my mind a few minutes after I posted it
It is good to be self aware.

BTW - I am still laughing and I read this 5 minutes ago.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #65
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Anyone ever notice how new, clean engines are actually harder to photograph because they reflect so much light?

Old 04-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #66
ARandall70

Send a message via Yahoo to ARandall70

How's this for a heritage unit shot? Does this meet your standards?

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/395594/

I applaud Casey, he has what could be considered a dream job, and he didn't just become the company photographer overnight. This is a man who was a locomotive engineer, provided many wonderful company calendar shots showing his excellent work, and was rewarded with the position he holds today. I'd love to meet him some day.

I'm sure NS, and Casey, would love perfect lighting conditions, but sometimes you just have to play the hand you are dealt. To me, the photography is not the story, the subject is, so I could care less.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #67
Larry76

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I didnt ask for that, please dont be so overdramatic...

well it sorta seemed like it...

You have 1 post here and know nothing about me, if you did, you would know I am not one of those competitive "bloodthirsty" foamers... in fact that's one of the things I despise about the hobby. I am so competitive I have posted like 3 shots in the last 2 months.
That comment wasnt aimed directly at you - but what Ive seen overall. It maybe my first post but Im hardly new to railfanning or other forums - I just didnt see the need to post here since I dont have images on RP until I read your initial post and took it as a nasty slam at someone who is A: a good friend and has been long before he achieved his current position and B: works very hard to get the images and does what he can to get nice images without inconviencing the railroad too much. if every day were perfect for photography id check my surroundings for halo's and people with wings on their backs.
Larry
Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #68
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
At the time of this post, NS Corp. has 208,074 views on it's photos of the heritage units. What's in it for them is people seeing their name 200K+ times, which brings me to the following post.

Wrong! Clients and other partners DO care. I know for a fact that plenty of businesses and people in the railroad industry check Railpictures either for enjoyment, research, or any number of reasons. Out of those 208,704, yes, most are railfans but I'm sure a lot are clients or potential clients who may be impressed with what NS is willing to do for PR even for a small group of hobbyists. What about potential partners (i.e. other railroads) who have a choice between whom they want to do business with? They see that NS respects their history and how they got to where they are today and may want to work with and maybe even be a part of that history someday.

Ya your right, it has nothing to with money, that's why Warren Buffet bought BNSF because he like trains
Old 04-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #69
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
Wrong! Clients and other partners DO care. I know for a fact that plenty of businesses and people in the railroad industry check Railpictures either for enjoyment, research, or any number of reasons...
You are quite correct. There seems to be this erroneous notion that RP is some competitive photographic measuring contest among railfan photographers. That might be someone's gig, but it ain't mine.

And yes, there are thousands and thousands of "normal" people (representing themselves, publishing, corporations, other media outlets, or whatever) who look for images here all the time. I hear from many of them. They don't read this forum, they don't care about shots that are rejected for being unlevel or poorly composed. For all the know "PEQ" is an upscale version of a Toyota Camry ("Plenty Extra Quality"). Ours is a debating society that could just as easily fit in a phone booth (...oops...I just realized some of you guys don't remember phone booths...). This is truly a fly spec of interest.

If this site relied on railfans for total support, it would have died and gone away a long time ago. We're in the minority, folks!
Old 04-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #70
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

more clicks = more $$. That's all that matters...what's going to generate clicks?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #71
BurghMan

I just think it is great that my employer has done something exciting so I'm not looking at the same black and white engines all the time!

The "units" - that's what they are called on my division - are Norfolk Southern's toys. They can photograph them any way they want and do whatever they want with those photos. If they want to be the first to show off the toys, that's their right. Remember they are the ones who paid a few million dollars for each of these toys!
Old 04-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #72
jac_murphy

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, but the railroaders I've worked with and spoken to always refer to locomotives as "units" as well.

-Jacques
Old 04-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #73
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
more clicks = more $$. That's all that matters...what's going to generate clicks?
Chicks, more chicks will generate more clicks.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #74
Ron Flanary

Quote:

Further, I don't think the trespasser issue is the primary concern because everyone knows these things are going to be foamtard magnets for the life of the units.

I suspect the driving force for these units is probably all about copyright law, rather than a ra ra publicity deal.
No...it's exactly as I first stated. The "trespasser" issue ceases to be an issue after the first "official" photo is posted. When they hit the road, obviously they're "foamtard" magnets, and that's the general idea. But, they do not want unauthorized railfan photographers hanging off the light towers when these units first see the light of day. When we arrived at Chattanooga yesterday, when they rolled it out, it was literally the first time anyone had seen the unit, other than those who actually painted it.

And that also negates the point about copyright law. It has nothing to do with that either.

This is the first sight we all saw--together--when they rolled up the door. Even the shop employees were fascinated, since this was another "birth."

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCF_0002.jpg (296.9 KB, 509 views)
Old 04-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #75
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
No...it's exactly as I first stated. The "trespasser" issue ceases to be an issue after the first "official" photo is posted. When they hit the road, obviously they're "foamtard" magnets, and that's the general idea. But, they do not want unauthorized railfan photographers hanging off the light towers when these units first see the light of day. When we arrived at Chattanooga yesterday, when they rolled it out, it was literally the first time anyone had seen the unit, other than those who actually painted it.

And that also negates the point about copyright law. It has nothing to do with that either.

This is the first sight we all saw--together--when they rolled up the door. Even the shop employees were fascinated, since this was another "birth."
10-4

You were there and have been talking to NS, so I will take you at your word.
Closed Thread