Old 04-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #51
Missabefan

Maybe this is why people jump ship for Flickr and give up on RP all together.

First rejection:

http://railpictures.net/viewreject.p...05&key=3103636

(Easily fixable and worth doing)

Second rejection:

http://railpictures.net/viewreject.p...11&key=7477913

Again, fixable. Shoot the train not the scene.

And then finally the third rejection.

http://railpictures.net/viewreject.p...73&key=5167288

Which could have been the first rejection and since it wasn't was the reason I kept going. Obviously ( or hopefully) three different screeners looking at it and three different screeners opinions as to why it won't be in the database.

Now it's off to depressionville and I fear a certain rabbit will loose it's ears today at some point.
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #52
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
I started posting images to Rail Pictures to meet and pick up women. So far, it's not working...
Ron, You obviously dont understand how railpictures works

There has been a non-stop parade of trim knocking down my door since I started posting mediocre choo choo pictures here. In fact, the more mundane the pic, the higher quality of bitches!

So in conclusion:

Troy does not know how to use Flickr
Ron does not know how to use RailPictures
Januz is in it just for the views and recognition (but also the bitches)
Most of us are using railpictures to pick up chicks
Jim has discovered some new Flickr stuff to look at

Last edited by troy12n; 04-20-2014 at 02:15 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #53
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missabefan View Post
Maybe this is why people jump ship for Flickr and give up on RP all together.

First rejection:

http://railpictures.net/viewreject.p...05&key=3103636

(Easily fixable and worth doing)

Second rejection:

http://railpictures.net/viewreject.p...11&key=7477913

Again, fixable. Shoot the train not the scene.

And then finally the third rejection.

http://railpictures.net/viewreject.p...73&key=5167288

Which could have been the first rejection and since it wasn't was the reason I kept going. Obviously ( or hopefully) three different screeners looking at it and three different screeners opinions as to why it won't be in the database.

Now it's off to depressionville and I fear a certain rabbit will loose it's ears today at some point.
Man, that's a classic example of how this would eventually piss off the Pope! The shot is basically pretty interesting, I think, and none of the variations are "wrong"---they're just slightly different (emphasis on "slighty").

So---it's a thin line between shitty shot, and a good one we'll accept. It's a text book example of why many good contributors are pushed over the edge.

I do think the screening process is essential to weed out the clearly crappy shots (and they get plenty...trust me). If you saw some of the uploaded shots, it would be an unanimous "NO!" from those who frequent this forum. But, it's those shots that are on the edge that cause the greatest angst. And, when you consider those are taken by basically solid photographers who have taken the time and effort to upload a shot, write a little caption, and checked off all the required pull down options (like making sure the GE on the point is an AC4400, GEVO-DEVO-007 or JimmyCrackCornandIdon'tcare36D-Cup), it can kill off your enthusiasm for RP.net like your dog jumping into the bed with you and your wife while you're trying to have sex.

Come to think of it...Mitch: does your dog ever do that?
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #54
troy12n
Banned

A question just popped into my head, are there similar complaints on the "other side", IE: jetphotos.net? I dont know if there is any crossover from people who post in both places
Old 04-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #55
JRMDC

Quote:
it can kill off your enthusiasm for RP.net like your dog jumping into the bed with you and your wife while you're trying to have sex.
Ron, Ron, Ron, please. Ponder this:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tmi

And given the diversity of experience in the world, I suspect there are situations, particular relationships, where your example does not apply because enthusiasm is heightened. No personal experience in that realm.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 04-20-2014 at 04:16 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #56
MagnumForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
A question just popped into my head, are there similar complaints on the "other side", IE: jetphotos.net? I dont know if there is any crossover from people who post in both places

Yes, and if anything it is even more stringent but a lot of the rules are totally different from here. Same goes for airliners. net.

In aviation photography there are two options and both options are nearly identical, many of those people have went to Flickr as well, George Hamlin for example has amazing rail and aviation stuff on Flickr.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #57
MagnumForce

And this thread actually made me upload a shot here. LOL

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=478539&nseq=4
Old 04-21-2014, 05:23 AM   #58
Extra 127 South

I have been reading this thread with great interest. Some very good points have been made. Several years ago, I had three major surgeries in one year. I guess one could say that I became in touch with my own mortality. While recuperating, I was sitting there looking at all my boxes of slides, thinking that most of them had not seen the light of day since I filed them away. Then I started thinking about what will happen to them when I kick the bucket. A one way trip to the dump? It is possible. I bought a slide scanner. Railpictures was, and still is, a great way for me to get my images out there for others to see.....and hopefully enjoy. Yes, rejections are at times a pain in the neck. Then again, at times I have looked at the rejection and made changes that improved the image. I don't consider every rejection valid and if that is the case, I simply move on to the next image. I never shoot an image with Railpictures in mind. I shoot what I want to shoot. If it gets rejected, so be it. Hopefully, the younger folks will do the same.

Now for Flickr. I have started posting on Flickr and find myself spending far more time there than on Railpictures. One of the reasons is that on Flickr, it is MY vision of my photography, not a screener, or anyone else. Plus, I am not limited to 1200 pixels wide. I see myself being able to post a larger selection of the images that I have taken over the past 45 years.

Actually, it is pretty simple for me. Both are good ways for old geezers like me to share their images while they can. I have had a darned good time shooting them and hopefully someone else can have a good time looking at them. Personally, I am thankful for both Railpictures and Flickr. Both have given me an opportunity that, ten years ago, I never thought I would have.

Stan Short
https://www.flickr.com/photos/109794585@N05/

Last edited by Extra 127 South; 04-21-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Extra 127 South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #59
Bryan Jones

I myself have had a Flickr account for several years and have pretty much given up on submitting here to RP. The inconsistent rejections are the biggest factor for me. While I never uploaded a ton of photos here and didn't have a whole lot of rejections I'd be pretty aggravated when I would correct a photo, resubmit and get a totally new rejection. Its just a roll of the dice as to what gets in today versus what will get in tomorrow. For me, what I post on my Flickr is MY vision (as the previous poster said of his work) of my railroad photography and ultimately that is what I want to share with others that look at my work, my personal take on the railroad. I don't take photos for fame or fortune, to get SC or PC, I do it because I enjoy it. I still visit RP on a daily basis and enjoy the photos, I just choose not to deal with the inconsistency of uploading anything.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24730386@N06/sets
Bryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #60
jac_murphy

One thing that I've found myself doing is using my Flickr account for more documentary purposes than as a repository for what I consider to be the best of my photos. For example, I'll post an image that I consider to be less-than-stellar for the sake of having the location, line/branch/spur or train itself as having been captured.

One example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68260250@N06/11329352633/

This is CP's Nickel Spur in Sudbury, Ontario. Quite active, but difficult to catch in action as operations are erratic. It leads to the sprawling former Inco (now VALE) smelting complex and is one of the last active pieces of track of the historical Algoma Eastern Railway. The picture itself is nothing at all to crow about - and I really mean nothing - but I'm just happy to have a photo of a train on that line, to know the kind of traffic it hauls and to have an example of how the operations may be carried out. And since photos from this particular piece of track are uncommon, I know that there's a small contingent of people out there who feel the same way.

This attitude of mine doesn't necessarily limit itself to obscure industrial operations, too, it can apply to main line action as well: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68260250@N06/10630460884/

A harshly backlit photo of a common-as-dirt VIA train in west-end Montreal. But at the time, CN was carrying out replacements of some of the spans of a nearby bridge, and of course by now all the equipment you can see in the photo is gone. Perhaps someday the stainless-steel cars and P42s will be as well.

-Jacques
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68260250@N06/
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #61
Ron Flanary

I think Stan and Bryan have reached the same point I have (particularly Stan, since we're about the same age). Like Stan, at this point in my life, I don't need any self-inflicted stress, so I find myself avoiding it by not uploading particular shots (that I like, however...) to RP.net. But with Flickr, of course, that's not an issue.

And again---whether an image of mine gets 200 views or 2000 really doesn't matter. Who's keeping score anyway?
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #62
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

Sometimes I wonder how I would feel if RP just up and disappeared one day.

You know, the owners pull the plugs on web sites everyday, so think of the sense of loss that would be collectively felt if that is what happened.

All that work down the drain......

Perhaps yet another reason to limit one's efforts for posterity.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:46 AM   #63
Mgoldman

Quote:
I think Stan and Bryan have reached the same point I have..
And again---whether an image of mine gets 200 views or 2000 really doesn't matter. Who's keeping score anyway?
Funny - I do maybe 75% off all my shopping (except food and gas) at Amazon because it's simply a great one stop site for just about everything. The same was true for RP but as a parallel, if admin was running Amazon like RP, they'd be letting key departments close, eliminating popular brands and paring down SKU's within popular brands while at the same time reducing customer service staff.

Fortunately, RP is not Amazon. At least with RP, I don't need to "drive" far to find other "stores". I was OK finding a couple of former RP'rs off site but it's become very cumbersome as of late. FLICKR is a good start - but it ain't no Amazon.

As for "who keeps score"? You do - you post because the "score" justifies the effort. Let me ask you, Ron - if you could simply add photos into the database on RP without being featured (y'know.. they just suddenly were visible on searches), would you prefer that? Is your FLICKR account "private" or only viewable by "Friends"?

/Mitch

Incidentally, I would happily post a percentage of my images directly into the database as I believe one of it's greatest asset is a database for railfans, photographers, preservationist and historians.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:51 AM   #64
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

I won't go so far as to say I've "jumped ship" on RP, although the thought has certainly crossed my mind a lot lately.

Truthfully, I don't see any challenge in getting photos on the RP.net database anymore, and as such I don't really feel compelled to add more photos to it. The standards are easy to shoot within if you really want to march to that drum, but I enjoy photography because I'm always trying to push myself to something else.

True, FLICKR isn't challenging me either, since I can upload whatever I want, whenever I want. BUT, what FLICKR does have is a great variety of subject matter besides railroads. I've met and collaborated with several photographers who have no interest in railroads whatsoever, but they've shown me some interesting ideas that I definitely intend to try on future railroad photos. Are they all good ideas? Guess that remains to be seen, but what do I have to lose?

These days, the challenge for me comes in finding a spot and figuring out how to light it. I've developed all sorts of techniques, specialized equipment, and a certain persistence that is absolutely necessary to have in order to be successful with OCF. Some scenes take me several attempts to get right, and when I finally get the lighting right and my notes completed, the train doesn't show up.

Even so, I truly enjoy THAT aspect of my niche, looking at a spot and saying, "Yeah, I can do this." It makes it all the better when someone looks at me and says, "You can't light that, it's impossible." I can't tell you how many times I've had people tell me a shot can't be done, only to see their jaws drop when they realize I pulled it off. Sure, it took me 5 or 6 revisits, but I didn't quit and made it happen. Of course, sometimes their insight proves to be correct and I can't conquer the geography, timing or property lines.

So what does RP provide for me these days? Well, besides some entertainment from these forums and the occasional asshat I encounter trackside who whines about it, nothing more than a research tool. If I know I'm traveling to an area that I haven't been to before, it gives me a great way to do a little bit of pre-planning and seeing what sort of traffic I can expect. It also gives me a great way of finding local expertise on an area, since I can e-mail folks that I seen consistently posting photos from a given area to get additional advice.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:58 AM   #65
callduckfarm

I jumped ship.
My pictures are not that great anyways.
Got tired of the consistent inconsistency here.
Now I have fun, and enjoy posting my favorite pictures to my Flickr account, not having to worry if it is off an infinitesimal amount horizontally.

Once in a great while I'll upload something here. If it gets accepted, fine, if it gets rejected, fine, I'm not going to waste time "fixing" it to please a screener.

My kids lost interest too, calling the site "Railrejections".

Mike
Old 04-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #66
ACR_Ted

For some reason Flickr and Firefox don't get along, at least on my computer. More often than not, all I see are a couple of colored balls moving around a bit and that is it. No photos load at all.

The other issue is more like a personal problem - I cannot read white text on a black background without getting a severe headache in 30 seconds! All of the Flickr photos that do load have that format.

But there are other photo sharing sites....and no, I don't include Facebook as a photo sharing place. Too many ads, lack of privacy, etc.

Ted
ACR_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:17 AM   #67
JRMDC

ACR Ted, you need to try harder! Firefox and flickr get along fine for me.

Re text and background, that is new from whenever it was flickr make their big change. I don't see a way to change that.

I do a lot of sharing on FB now - many of my sub-RP shots. I have yet to see an ad on FB, actually, or maybe i ignore them, and as for privacy, the entire reason I signed up is to distribute family photo to a private group of relatives and friends. So plenty of privacy for me. I respect that you make a different choice than I, but I also suspect you are missing some info.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #68
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I do a lot of sharing on FB now - many of my sub-RP shots.
J, I haven't seen anything recently from you on FB other than some PMs and the occasional comment on someone else's photo. And THIS is why FB sucks for sharing anything.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #69
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
J, I haven't seen anything recently from you on FB other than some PMs and the occasional comment on someone else's photo. And THIS is why FB sucks for sharing anything.
Jim, the local group I do most of my sharing in went closed instead of open, so you don't see those shots. I didn't mind as I have felt that non-railfans were no longer following me, or whatever is the term for having my posts appear on their home page, due to my high volume of run of the mill or worse shots, that I share because part of being a railfan is just sharing a shot of today's train, regardless of quality.

If you join CSX Cap Met and OML you will see more of my stuff, at the cost of seeing a bunch more from everone else in that group. Although, if I understand FB correctlty, you will only have shots from me and any other FB friend in that group appear on your home page.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #70
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Facebook sucks because when you "share" something, it goes out to everyone you are "friends" with.

I dont want to bore my non-railfan friends with photos of trains, just as I dont want to horrify my vegetarian, anti-hunting, anti-gun pansy ass friends or just about any woman with hunting photos and shots of the wild game I have taken down.

So, do I create multiple facebook accounts to segregate these people?

Or, as it has been suggested that I just dont know how to use flickr, maybe I dont know how to use facebook?
Old 04-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #71
JRMDC

Troy, you can create groups within your friends lists, and then post something only to that group.

It just occurs to me that I can satisfy Jim's insatiable desire to see my train images by sending my stuff to my trains subgroup, which i have created already but forgotten that I can use in that manner. Jim, more stuff heading your way from now on!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #72
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Jim, the local group I do most of my sharing in went closed instead of open, so you don't see those shots. I didn't mind as I have felt that non-railfans were no longer following me, or whatever is the term for having my posts appear on their home page, due to my high volume of run of the mill or worse shots, that I share because part of being a railfan is just sharing a shot of today's train, regardless of quality.

If you join CSX Cap Met and OML you will see more of my stuff, at the cost of seeing a bunch more from everone else in that group. Although, if I understand FB correctlty, you will only have shots from me and any other FB friend in that group appear on your home page.
Ah, ok. I thought you were placing them in your status updates like a lot of other folks do, thus having them appear in my news feed. But then again, FB is very faulty for whose status updates show up in your news feed. That's why I thought I was missing yours.

But then again, when you post them to groups, they should still show up in my news feed. I think the solution to FB sucking is that you have to manually "follow" (or whatever they are calling it now) friends now to insure their posts show up in your news feed.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #73
JRMDC

Quote:
But then again, when you post them to groups, they should still show up in my news feed. I think the solution to FB sucking is that you have to manually "follow" (or whatever they are calling it now) friends now to insure their posts show up in your news feed.
Jim, I am hardly a FB expert but I am pretty sure that if one posts to a closed group, the post will not show up in the news feed of anyone who does not belong to that group. I think it is also true that if someone who is not a friend of mine posts to a closed group to which I belong, that post also does not appear in my news feed.

Actually, I think those two sentences state the same principle.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #74
JimThias

You never know with facebook any more. I see comments people make on status updates of people who are not my friends. "Closed" on FB these days doesn't really hold much water for me, so one never knows exactly what is showing up elsewhere or not.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #75
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
You never know with facebook any more. I see comments people make on status updates of people who are not my friends. "Closed" on FB these days doesn't really hold much water for me, so one never knows exactly what is showing up elsewhere or not.
And that is my biggest problem with Facebook. You simply don't know who is seeing your stuff, and it is near impossible to track. Photos have been lifted far too frequently on Facebook without credit to the originator. Much of the time, the only way you find out is if another friend happens to find a photo of yours that they recognize, otherwise, as a copyright holder, you're pretty much defenseless.

That's not to say that I couldn't suffer the same risks on Twitter, FLICKR, RP.net or any one of dozens of other photography oriented websites and social media. Or my own website for that matter. But what exactly does Facebook give me that these other sites don't? Nothing, so why accept the additional risk with so little return?

I left Facebook back in January, and I'm amazed at how much free time I must have killed on that stupid site for such little gain. Granted, I was out of town for 2 months of my Facebook-free stint where access to the internet was hit or miss, but I've been back now for almost 3 weeks. I've never felt better about giving something up than I do about giving up Facebook.

I do miss a small selection of groups that provided useful heads-ups, but I DO NOT miss the fake friends, the endless diet of train porn, and all the ridiculous drama that came with it. I'm sure I created some drama occasionally, in fact, I'm sure I did. Just the same, lots of people out there created their own. Whether they're willing to pull their head out of the sand and acknowledge it is a whole different matter.

Sometime ago, I decided that if Facebook is the only way in which you define calling someone a friend, then you're not a friend. You're merely someone with a common interest, nothing more, nothing less. I hear people hiding behind the "well, I use it to keep in touch with friends and family that I don't get to talk to very often." Sure ya do Hoss, why don't you become a human again and pick up a phone? It's still a viable form of communication.

Guess that turned into a rant... but oh well.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote