Old 01-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80
Default Need some professional insight....

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, i tried to get some response over in the off topic forum but eh. Anyways....

Need some advice....professional advice...opinions, anything. Not only do i, like most of you, enjoy railfanning, photography is a major hobby, for some if not most of you its a career. I've been into photography for a while, but just can't seem to "grasp" it. I've been practicing and practicing, but can't seem to grab it by the horns and say "hey get it together!" I'd like some opionions or advice on some shots I have. **Warning, some of them ARE dusty and didn't notice it until I got them into photoshop, so I already know about that **

I'll just post the links.......

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...10thstreet.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...andJenDad2.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...uff/Maggie.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...kandlake14.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...httraffic4.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...nighttraff.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...kandlake16.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...acklitSnow.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...BitofGreen.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...zenFishing.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...enFishing2.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2.../HugeTower.jpg

I don't have much on RP as of now because of weather and work, but you can take a gander at those too if you'd like. Not much concerned about my rail photography, just worried about the rest of photography lol. Because I'm starting to discover within myself that this could be a great side job or even a career for me!

Thanks in advance,
Ben

**EDIT: poor image quality due to resizing for upload**

Last edited by asis80; 01-28-2008 at 03:57 PM.
asis80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
Ween

Quote:
Not much concerned about my rail photography, just worried about the rest of photography lol.
Ben,

Like the guy who asked about operating multiple units on a train, this may not be the best place to ask about 'general' photography as there are probably hundreds of websites/forums dedicated to that sole purpose. While this is more of a photography forum than anything else, it's a small niche subject that we shoot. If it's a rail-related photo, I'm sure you'll get tons of feedback, but for general interest/artisitc type shots, you'll find much more valuable feedback elsewhere. Good luck...
Old 01-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
asis80

ah! ok
Old 01-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80
ah! ok
Come over to www.northeastfoto.com

It's a much broader community of photography in general.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
JimThias

Ben, since you're using a Canon, I'd like to direct you to one of the top Canon forums on the web:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

The photographers there range from beginners to seasoned professionals, and people are always glad to help and offer advice on how to help improve your "photographic eye" and skills. There are quite a few sub-forums where you can post your pictures that a subject-relevant which definitely makes it easier to get feedback.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
asis80

thanks guys!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Well, here's my take on -some- of them.
#4: I like. I like a lot. Good focussing and angle.
#5: The blown out sign is distracting to me, and in this particular photo I don't find the car blurs interesting.
#7: I don't really like how the bench featured so prominently is out of focus. There isn't really any other subject in the picture to focus on, either..
#8: Too dark.
#12: I'm not seeing it.
You look like you're having some pretty warm weather there!
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
asis80

its weird, mondays (today) and fridays are nice and for the most part warm with not a cloud in sight, the days when i either a) work the most or b) have other things to do then work. Then on saturdays and sundays when im free and have a great opportunity to go out and shoot, the weather is crap lol. thanks for the feeback, im trying.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

I like it but having the bridge blocking the building is a little awkward. I would try to keep it visible by stepping to the right if possible. I like that you followed the rule of thirds. Maybe try to include a bit more of the bridge as well.
Another good idea. I don't know what the proper terms are in terms of depth of field but the other person is a little too 'blurry'. You also need to be careful when you have an object in between two "subjects" as you may prevent the flow of the image and make two separate pictures.
Hahahahaha! I love these! I need to work on my animal wide angle closeups more, but the 'professional' ones I tend to see are always from the side with the dog/animal's head turned toward the camera. I like that one a lot though!
Yet another good idea and nice framing. Two things: put the bench more to the left side of the photo and include the hidden part of the lake.
Sign is too blown out for it to 'work' (subjective). For something like that you would need a short shutter speed OR better yet a small aperture f14+ and a way to light the billboard to show the words that would be dark when the neon is well exposed.
This ones cool but again you need to light the merge sign completely.
Same as photo ". . . 14"
Hm, 'not sure I know what I'm looking'. Not a good reaction to get. There needs to be a true subject and at that angle its hard to find one. Pick the camera up a bit and show it more spread out. I do this when pine needles fall onto fresh snow. It looks pretty cool! Another good idea.
Nice DoF, but don't put the subject in the center.
They need people.
Hmm, watch for neat shadows and reshoot or get the whole thing. This is a little too abstract for me. LOL

Nice work! I'm in no means a pro (yet?) but I've delt with shooting a lot of different things in different weather/lighting so thats just what I see in those shots.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:16 AM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80
for some if not most of you its a career.
My sense is that "few" is more accurate, but of course there are some really, really advanced amateurs around here!

Here are some comments; late because I haven't had time, and also I've intentionally not read any other comments, so pardon any repetition. Despite your long narrative, it is hard to see at what level to comment, but judging from the shots, I would call the level "early intermediate general artistic" and I'll try to pitch in that direction. BTW, I am myself not a shooter at that level, but as an image consumer at that level I can still comment!

1: not level, of course. More importantly, I find the bridge bottom too low, much like a steam engine needs some space above for the smoke plume, I am thinking that a bridge needs some space underneath it for some air. Also, I think the USSteel building looks a little weird behind the bridge, much as one does not want a pole coming out the top of an engine. A few steps to the right would solve that. Worth another visit, I like where you are heading with this one.

2: interesting idea, in general the idea works well to me, but some of the details are troubling. Not a fan of the purplish-pink hue on the skin. Not a fan of the chopped-off chin. A little too shallow DoF; I think it needs more definition for the father. Not a fan of the intrusive blurred thing in the lower left corner - the neck of a bottle?

3: standard dog shot, been done a zillion times (dpreview!!!), nothing much to say about it

4: general idea of the geometric progression, a curve with benches of various colors receding into the distance, very nice! Try it again on a day with light so the colors are more vibrant. Looks overcast. But the killer is the mass of weeds on the right and obstructing some of the benches. Maybe the park can mow them for you! The closest bench, too tight on the margin. The shallow DoF, interesting, but the second bench is not so interesting that isolating it makes the composition "come together."

5: I'm not a fan of the streaked line shot in general. But the blown-out ad upper left just trashes it for me. And the light upper right corner, it is like an extraneous element.

6: Again, not a fan of the genre. Still, don't see the point of just some lines and very little else in the picture.

I should add that the above are more along the lines of commentary than criticism, in that I am not saying "go back and do X" - well, sometimes I say that - rather, I am saying that this is what I see and respond to favorably and not. It is up to you to figure out what to do, if anything, I have no idea! (Go back to the top and re-read "shooter" vs. "consumer". )

The rest in a bit...

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 01-30-2008 at 01:33 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:25 AM   #11
JRMDC

7: a large out of focus object dominates the shot and little of interest in the background, plus dull light. No.

8: A superb "study", a shot focusing on just one or two dimensions of photography, here pattern/texture. Very, very nice. No, the composition does not have a focal point, which is why I call it a study. Well done.

9: OK study. Needs rule of thirds treatment, for starters.

10: Naah. Big blob of weeds in the foreground, and my mind shuts down. and the background goes boring quickly, the 2nd and 3rd benches just get lost and there is little of interest in the composition.

11: Doesn't catch my interest, not sure why. The far background is dull and yet distracting. This shot needs to be simplified somehow, despite it being a shot of few objects and lines. Or maybe it just doesn't fit my personal tastes.

12: Nice abstract. Not enough contrast in tonality for my tastes. Seems imbalanced to the left.

There you go! Cool to see the effort, wish I had more time to practice general photography.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 AM   #12
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Janusz, how did you get so technically literate? o.O
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:07 AM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
Janusz, how did you get so technically literate? o.O

I've read and re-read a number of books on photography, especially landscape photography. (So when does it rub off??? ) Sometimes I just browse one, to get ideas into the back of my head. Good toilet material, actually. Seriously! As for writing, I'm used to writing in a technical style as that is what I do at work.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-30-2008, 03:48 AM   #14
asis80

Thanks J for the comments! I guess photography is one of those "you can't expect to grasp it right at the very beginning". Which I can understand, that's why I read and re-read the 2 books I have and practice all the time. Now music on the other hand, when I first picked up the trumpet, i learned it the day I started playing. I went from 9th chair to 2nd chair in a matter of weeks Now I'm in a semi-pro jazz band...paid and everything. Lovin in. Thanks again!

Ben
Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
NSFan14

the 5th photo is awesome. I love subway and pilot coffee
Old 02-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #16
PLEzero

My best advice is find some photography you like, then try and replicate it. I'm not saying copy the photo but get some ideas in your head and try to successfully come away with what you set out to do. Find some type of photography you enjoy looking at and taking. Judging by the photos you linked to, you seem to like structures and nature type images. Go through flickr or some other website and find what you like. Look at all the different aspects of the photo then find objects that are similar while you are out and try to replicate them while making it your own scene.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:07 AM   #17
Darryl Rule

Ben,

You might also try going to www.fredmiranda.com . There are some great forums with a wealth of information over there.

Darryl