Old 01-15-2007, 04:21 AM   #26
IC 6071

Send a message via Yahoo to IC 6071

Quote:
you think my photos are crap? well i worked very hard to get out to the train yards & get these pics & i fit time into my schedule to do this.
I think you took his comment out of context. The after that was the first indication.

Quote:
i appricate the help but if any of my next photos are rejected i am OFFICIALY Leaving RP & share my photos w/ other website that actualy take them.
Sorry Brent, but so far, I havent seen anything that is even close to RP standards. I think that you have some potential, but you need to keep listening to these experieced guys/gals as I have. Also, take a few minuts, and look at other photos in the database. A new camera would also help your cause, but money doesen't grow on trees.

-Adam

May the CCP the WC and the IC LIVE ON
IC 6071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:25 AM   #27
Ween

Quote:
you think my photos are crap?
You are mis-reading the intent behind that statement. It meant you are giving the screeners a hard time. It didn't mean your shots are crap. In fact, it's used in the same vein as your statement with the word 'crap' in it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by You
whatever i try the next time the screeners are gonna give me some other crap.
I'm pretty sure you weren't referring to the screener's physically giving you actual crap. But I digress...

Quote:
but if any of my next photos are rejected i am OFFICIALY Leaving RP & share my photos w/ other website that actualy take them.
Sorry you chose this route to handle the situation, but let me be the first to say, "Bye!"
Old 01-15-2007, 06:20 AM   #28
Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Erdmann
you think my photos are crap? well i worked very hard to get out to the train yards & get these pics & i fit time into my schedule to do this.

i appricate the help but if any of my next photos are rejected i am OFFICIALY Leaving RP & share my photos w/ other website that actualy take them.
With a defeatist attitude like that, you are not going to get any photos accepted. I probably had 50 photos rejected before I got my first photo accepted. Now, I have 71 photos with an acceptance rate of about 1 in 2.

Learn to take the rejections as advice, and not something that's just there to piss you off. It will truly make you a better photographer.

Flickr Account

Last edited by Frederick; 01-15-2007 at 06:22 AM.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #29
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
Learn to take the rejections as advice, and not something that's just there to piss you off. It will truly make you a better photographer.
Listen to him, he knows what he speaks of, just look at that kick --- avatar. Sweeeeet shot, Frederick! To add to what has been said. Its not a threat to the site to take your photos elsewhere as there are still plenty of contributors out there. I have to thank Michael Allen for the wonderful compliment about my work, but I truely have to give a lot of credit to the screeners here who pushed me to first work out the flaws in exposure and lighting and then improve my compostion and thinking "outside the box".

My original name still has 10 VERY BAD photos under it which makes me shudder to that of what I uploaded and got rejected before that. I had hundreds of rejects before I got my first lousy shot on and now I'm up to 812, granted it took me three years. This site and especially these forums are to get a second, third, fourth, etc. opinion on your shots whether they are accepted or rejected. Someone will always point out something you did not see because you never look at YOUR OWN photo the way someone else does. Sometimes it works in your favor or you get the aggravating "personal collection" comment, which still annoys me, but I can improve on that.

I had the same outlook of I spent all this time getting to this location and taking these photos, why are you rejecting them? I thought I'd never get a chance to go back even though that is an extremely oolish thought. You don't even have a license yet so naturally your freedom is limited. No, WC engines won't be around forever, but finding them when you can drive yourself will be even more fun! Hey, I'm an optimist . Good luck, Brent, with whatever decision you make.

Hopefully there are more "newbies" reading and soaking up some of these useful tips from all these top "snappers". I hadda use it once!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #30
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
My original name still has 10 VERY BAD photos under it which makes me shudder to that of what I uploaded and got rejected before that.
I was going to chime in on the original topic, but really what is the point now.

But I've been wondering, Andrew, what is the story with your original name and your replacement name.

And, isn't it possible to withdraw a picture? Anyway, standards at RP used to be lower than they are now, at least that is my impression. Maybe after a while they got their legs underneath them and felt they could upgrade. If so, I'm glad they did.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #31
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween

"...but if any of my next photos are rejected i am OFFICIALY Leaving RP & share my photos w/ other website that actualy take them."

Sorry you chose this route to handle the situation, but let me be the first to say, "Bye!"

I'll be second after Ween to say "bye." I'm sure the screeners feel quite intimidated by your threat of leaving should they have the nerve to reject any of your pictures. Then again, why are any of us even bothering with this? We can get a more positive response talking to a stale, half eaten bag of popcorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick

Sadly, Frederick, it sure doesn't seem this is his goal. A bottle of Midol may be more in order than good ole fashioned advice.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.

Last edited by 4kV; 01-15-2007 at 04:26 PM.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:20 PM   #32
PLEzero

Wulp, cya later!

Do you really think anyone here really cares if you 'officially' leave?
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:37 AM   #33
Mark Rosnick

Default Rejections

He still dosen't get it does he. The entire idea is to give advice and help people become better photographers, not destroy ones self confidence. As they say...If you can't stand the heat... The whole idea is not to take it personally. People are trying to help B Erdmann, not destroy him. My advice to him is just sit there, be quiet and listen to the advice people are giving you. If you pay attention, you may just become a better photographer.
Mark Rosnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:19 AM   #34
scottychaos

well remember, he is probably about 15 years old, and has grown up in the recent American culture of "Nothing is ever your own fault! you dont have to take responsibility for your own actions, if something goes wrong, even if its your fault, (which it never is) find someone to sue!"

so naturally, if he hasn't learned good photographic techniques not, its not HIS fault! he is just a poor innocent victim of oppression..and since he knows the problem cant be with HIM, he needs to blame someone else for his problems..which he has.

sad...

Scot
scottychaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:51 AM   #35
a231pacific

Someone much wiser than me once said "Good judgment is the product of experience, and experience is the product of bad judgement!"

In other words, we learn from our mistakes, but then, I guess some people just don't want to learn.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:01 AM   #36
B.Erdmann

well fisrt i cant find out what the expectations are fro rp & why they want every thing to seem like you have to be a professional at it in which im not. im sure thiers alot of people who would see my pics. i really dont think the screeners are "human" . if i had a webiste i wouldnt even have screeners. i think a picture is just a god d*$@n picture. if i think the letters are visible & you can see what it is ist perfect but aperently not to rp. no clouds & all that. i think the clouds make it neat looking. i dont have time to go out somewhee ecry day beacuse i have to go to school & i work on some weekends so when i can go its when i go i dont wait ill even go if its raining out.

so i think RP is something that looks like you have to be a professional & it has to be perfect & i was always tols no one & nothing is perfect

Check out my webiste
Http://brenterdmann.proboards80.com
B.Erdmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:13 AM   #37
F40PH271

1) I don't think there are many professional photographers on the website, though I would say many are capable of being ones.

2) Look at all the photos on RP. The screeners are human. They help you by giving you the reasons for rejection. Just think, they could just reject the photo and not give any reason whatsoever.

3) If I've gotten 170+ photos on here with my little Nikon point and shoot camera, I think anyone can get a shot on here.

4) Were you drunk when you wrote the above?

Have a nice day.
F40PH271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:20 AM   #38
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Quote:
well fisrt i cant find out what the expectations are fro rp & why they want every thing to seem like you have to be a professional at it in which im not. im sure thiers alot of people who would see my pics. i really dont think the screeners are "human" . if i had a webiste i wouldnt even have screeners. i think a picture is just a god d*$@n picture. if i think the letters are visible & you can see what it is ist perfect but aperently not to rp. no clouds & all that. i think the clouds make it neat looking. i dont have time to go out somewhee ecry day beacuse i have to go to school & i work on some weekends so when i can go its when i go i dont wait ill even go if its raining out.

so i think RP is something that looks like you have to be a professional & it has to be perfect & i was always tols no one & nothing is perfect

Beautiful! You just made everyone's points for them.

At this point it would be best if we wished you the best of luck as you try new photography ventures at other websites. I honestly do not see any improvement coming out of someone with an attitude like you demonstrated in the quoted text above. Good luck as you take your material elsewhere!
Old 01-16-2007, 04:38 AM   #39
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Jeeze, just when I thought we were done with these kinda threads...

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:10 AM   #40
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
Jeeze, just when I thought we were done with these kinda threads...

Actually I find these threads to be very funny. You canít get this quality of entertainment everywhere!
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #41
alan-crotty

Default Horses to water

Chris,

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!

I do hope BE doesn't give up on his photography, maybe we'll see him again in a few months when he has had time to absorb the advice give and put it to good use.

All hobbies need fresh blood coming in.

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:58 PM   #42
IC 6071

Send a message via Yahoo to IC 6071
Angry

BE-
You asked for help and you got it. Act more mature, and quit acting like a two year old, blaming others for everything. I guess all I can say is good luck w/ future photography, and LEARN from feedback given instead of complaining about it.

May the CCP the WC and the IC LIVE ON
IC 6071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:19 AM   #43
WisconsinCentral

B.E

Many here have been offering you help, which would really be helpful. I understand why you may think the way you do, but this is not a site that will accept stuff like that. It isnt your fault that its cloudy, but Railpics generally wont accept cloudy day shots. Even with sun there are many stipulations. So before you get all mad, understand that you need to improve or work with certain situations to get accepted here. This is one of the top notch rail photography sites that our out here, and you do need to know quite a bit to get accepted on a usual basis. Practice, but dont blame anyone but yourself (or your camera in some cases ) because your the one who took the picture. Just look at other shots in the database and see what others have done. You'll notice a big difference between your shots right now and other peoples work. Keep working at it,

Alec
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:01 AM   #44
Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Listen to him, he knows what he speaks of, just look at that kick --- avatar. Sweeeeet shot, Frederick!
Thanks, Andrew.

Quote:

You need to look at photos in terms of shapes and colors. It should not "just" be a picture of a train. You also need to plan your shot, as opposed to just clicking the shutter button.

The key factor that determines the quality of your photo is how you compose it. What else do you want in your picture? From which angle are you going to take the shot?

The second most important thing is the lighting. Though most shots on RP.net are sunny, there can be exceptions, such as pictures taken during snowstorms.

Editing your photos is also a necessity. Almost all of the accepted photos here have been retouched in photo software. Sharpening, increasing color, etc. always adds more 'pizazz' to your shot.

Once you understand the concept of what makes a fine photo, get creative. Think outside of the box.

There are many teenagers who have photos on this site. Most of us train photographers have a job or attend school. Your age, how much free time you have or whatever doesn't matter much at all, it is just how hard you try.

Good luck.

Flickr Account

Last edited by Frederick; 01-17-2007 at 03:05 AM.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:10 AM   #45
JRMDC

Come on, everybody! If the OP hasn't already moved along, his last message and the followup by Chris S made it all clear.

Move along, move along, there is nothing to see here... (Besides the usual, a reference to a Far Side cartoon with several deer, a bear cop, and bears at a deer kill that I particularly like...)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:22 AM   #46
rlfranz

Brent, I'm really sorry to see you copping such a "tude" about RP. The screeners are only doing their job to make this a top-notch site. Your photos are simply not up to RP standards- save them for your private collection.

There are many people who have gone out of their way to help and advise you about what works and what doesn't, but you don't seem to want to hear it.

I'll be more than happy to send you some cheese to go with your "whine."

You could learn a lot if you would pay close attention to what is accepted here, instead of complaining how your shots don't get accepted. I probably have a 30:1 ratio of submitted to posted, but I'm not bitter about it. I read the screener's comments, look at what's been accepted, and go out and do betterl

One sign of maturity is being able to accept and appreciate constructive feedback and critique.

Last edited by rlfranz; 01-18-2007 at 12:45 AM.
rlfranz is offline   Reply With Quote