Old 01-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80
Default Rebel XTi part 2

For all that contributed to this post, I have purchased the XTi! What a great camera! At least so far, I haven't been able to go out and use it much yet so it gives me time to learn all the functions and things like that. I kinda like the small size, and I'm no small person (6 foot 2 with really big hands!). I ended up not purchasing another lens just for the sake of me not working as much since the holiday season is over (again, work at UPS) so my hours are limited. So all that extra dough needs to stay in the bank account as much as possible. BUT, I've been growing fond and growing enemies with the EF 70-300MM telephoto lens. Reviews are mixed, some say it's a great telephoto lens for people who are buying they're very first telephoto and some say the autofocus is pretty slow and it makes everything blurry. And that really doesnt bother me that much seeing I can get it for around 200 bucks. And I don't use auto focus and I like shooting in raw, so having the ability to change sharpness in and out of camera will help with the softness. Any opinions on that lens? Also, being that this is my first dSLR, what are some good care tips? Like, the manual says I have to take the battery out EVERY time or the battery will discharge completely when off? Do I really have to do that? Any other tips or suggestions using it and caring for it are greatly appreciated! ANd thanks again for all the comments and help in my previous post! Thanks!!@#

Ben
Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80
Like, the manual says I have to take the battery out EVERY time or the battery will discharge completely when off? Do I really have to do that?
You are kidding! ?????

I've never heard of such a thing. Looking forward to hearing from other XTi owners.

As for the lens sharpness, there is a big limit to what can be done in software if the captured original is soft, raw or jpg doesn't matter. But lots of people use that lens and get acceptable results, especially for the web.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
asis80

Well, not discharge fully, but the manual does state if the battery is not removed some charge will be lost. I'm guessing it's their way of saying "We're just warning you, if you have 1/32 of battery left and the camera discharges 1/32 of battery then you're camera probably won't start up " lol. I just find it odd that they want you to remove the battery after every single use when you're not using the camera.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #4
Freericks
Met Fan

I have an XT. I have never removed the battery between uses once. The battery life on the XT is pretty amazing.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
asis80

Great news about the battery! THanks freericks! How about cold weather? It's nastily cold, 18 with -2 being the windchill, is that really really BAD for the camera?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Great news about the battery! THanks freericks! How about cold weather? It's nastily cold, 18 with -2 being the windchill, is that really really BAD for the camera?
I don't think cold harms any camera, unless some water gets in and freezes! If extreme cold, in principle the shutter can act up; haven't heard of one actually doing so, certainly not at 18 fahrenheit (cameras are not affected by wind chill). One thing, though, it makes for a nasty hit to battery life so I keep my spare battery in a shirt pocket next to my chest, kept warm by body heat under the several layers of whatever I am wearing.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-03-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Well, I live in Southern California... so I may not be the person to ask. I did have the camera out for a couple hours last week, and the temp dipped down to 60... I don't think it hurt the camera.

In all seriousness, I don't know. Back in my film days, growing up in NJ, I have had cameras freeze up on me, and it's always been the shutter curtain that froze. The XT, of course, has no such curtain.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
Ween

Battery life is diminshed in the cold. The coldest I've been out in has been -15 to -10F ambient. The LCDs are really slow when they get cold-soaked. The XT's owner manual says the lower limit on the temperature range is 32F. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!!! You'd get to shoot for about four months in North Dakota if that was the case...
Old 01-03-2008, 11:31 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I don't think cold harms any camera, unless some water gets in and freezes!
Well, cold weather CAN certainly affect the performance. Aside from the battery life already being mentioned, the lens & mirror (and possibly sensor) can fog up with extreme temperature changes. In REALLY cold weather, I keep a 2 gallon ziplock bag with me. When coming in from cold, I put the camera and lens in the bag and let it warm back up to room temperature. The extreme temperature swing can cause condensation buildup on your glass, and that's a big problem if you want to continue shooting. And I imagine as that condensation dries, it can even cause a stain on the glass in your lens and mirror in the camera.

The idea with keeping the camera in an air-tight bag as it warms is to reduce/eliminate that condensation problem.

Check out this link for more on this:

http://photography.about.com/od/taki...eathrphoto.htm
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #10
Ween

Quote:
When shooting in cold weather it is essential to carry spare batteries for all of your equipment. Lithium batteries are a good choice as they are better at holding a charge than the older chemical compositions to begin with. You can also keep the spare batteries in your coat pocket or other relatively warm spot.
Off topic: isn't there some new FAA rule about no Lithium batteries onboard an daircraft unless they are in the equipment they are powering?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #11
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Off topic: isn't there some new FAA rule about no Lithium batteries onboard an daircraft unless they are in the equipment they are powering?
Funny, IMMEDIATELY after reading this thread I ran across this

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0712/07...strictions.asp

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #12
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

I use an older version of the lens you are talking about. I would describe it as having a lot of bang for it's buck. It takes good pictures for what you pay, but you don't pay very much for it (compared to other telephotos). I have obtained several RP quality photographs using this lens. While it can be temperamental at times, it is a reliable lens once you get used to using it. I would recommend you get it, as it should fit your needs well. Also, use a tripod with it whenever practical, as its a slow lens, and it really does make a difference.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
asis80

Awesome, thanks for the replies guys!
Old 01-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

Right after taking this photo
Image © Glenn Davis
PhotoID: 217648
Photograph © Glenn Davis

My mirror wouldn't go back down and the top exposure LCD wasn't working, but after taking it back to the truck and letting it warm up, it works just fine. Just don't leave your camera out longer than you can stand being out.
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #15
asis80

Thanks guys! As mentioned I was intending to upgrade the lens once I learn the basics of shooting with the XTi, and we were discussing the 75-300mm lens, not the USM one. I thought I was pretty much sold on it, and I'll probably end up getting it anyways, but what's out there that is a nice telephoto with a reasonable difference (nothing more than 300) for a good price. All I've been looking at were Canon's, what reasonable Sigma and Tamron lenses are out there? ALSO, very dumb dumb dumb question, but I've never had to buy them or deal with them since this is my first DSLR, but whats the difference between a wide and tele? I know what a tele does, I think everyone does, do wide angles have a set aperture? I always thought of it as this:

Wide Angle: everythings in focus, preserving lots of detail at all focal lengths at the same time (maybe?)
Tele : Zoom, isolating subjects from afar, etc.

Probably wrong, but any insight would be helpful for this DSLR noob!

Ben
Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
I know what a tele does, I think everyone does, do wide angles have a set aperture? I always thought of it as this:

Wide Angle: everythings in focus, preserving lots of detail at all focal lengths at the same time (maybe?)
Tele : Zoom, isolating subjects from afar, etc.

Probably wrong, but any insight would be helpful for this DSLR noob!
Ben, it all depends on the aperture setting. Even with a wide angle lens, you can achieve a shallow depth of field, based on the focal length and distance.

Check out this website:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...h-of-field.htm

Once you get down to CLARIFICATION: FOCAL LENGTH AND DEPTH OF FIELD, you'll start understanding how the focal length relates to the aperature and depth of field.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #17
asis80

PHEW! All this lens talk and what lens is good and my budget and how much money I'm gonna have afterwards to pay bills and when it's going to be decent out to go out and use the XTi has got me all . So after reading jims link (very helpful, thank you jim!) I laid down here on my fiances bed, took a nap, and woke up half an hour later and told her "hey lets go to best buy, I need to return this filter". So we did. We leave best buy (21.37 richer) and there's a mall right next to it. I say "lets just go to the mall and go to ritz to see if they have any better filters" So we get to the mall, walk in, go to ritz and by george........I walk out with a quantaray 55-200MM 4-5.6 tele. Walked out with something, something I was looking for, that I didnt even intend to buy lol. And I even forgot about the linear filter i wanted! But hey, I got my lens finally! Was hoping for a Canon, but the guy said there's some distortion with the 70-300MM Canon lens, and that the 55-200MM has no distortion and is a very good beginner lens! Got it for 180, not bad I thought, even threw in a hood for me. Thanks again for the very helpful tips and advice guys! Now......my shooting journey, BEGINS!

Ben
Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #18
Jon Wisnieski

I keep my camera zipped inside my coat to keep it warm.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:10 AM   #19
sd9

Default my two cents

Quote:
I have purchased the XTi! What a great camera!

Ben
I bought a XTI back in July, I have had no problems so far, the only thing is if your shooting in RAW it hesitates a bit if your shooting continuously after about three or four shots, as far as the battery I never take mine out and am very surprised how long it holds a charge, even leaving it in my car after below zero nights. as far as the lens I also bought the canon 75-300 ultrasonic to grab those long shots, and hadn't had any problems with it either
the first day out I shot this one with it. I'm just a novice but thats my 2 cents
Image © Bill Grenchik
PhotoID: 210087
Photograph © Bill Grenchik
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #20
asis80

Nice catch there Bill. I am in no way disappointed with this camera, I love it! Like I said up above, I just bought the quantaray 55-200 and it's nice for what I want. There are just some really nice compositions you can get from afar ya know? The kit lens is great too, no doubt. Just need the weather to start clearing up instead of this all day overcast crap. I'm not too good in this type of weather shooting. Need to learn fast tho I suppose, as it's the only type of weather you'll probably see this time of year up north thanks again guys!