Old 07-24-2009, 02:32 AM   #1
flatcar111

Exclamation Photo information

I see nearly every picture has lots of information. How does everyone know train numbers, origins/destinations, and all this special information?

Like just today i saw a southbound CSX manifest near Chatsworth, Ga, that had 6 CSX AC6000s in tow, all had covers over exhaust and facing the same way,........storage , or rock train service bound maybe?

Then a week or two ago, a NS fast moving southbound through Cordele, Ga., 1 loco, and a few boxcars with huge yellow rings around them and inbetween were cars that resembled the boeing hooded cars. I had no idea of the freight or origin/destinations.

Knowing all the information about trains when i see them would make it so much more interesting. How can a man get this????

Thanks, Brent
flatcar111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

A scanner tends to come in handy as well as internet research. During a scanner transmission, the engineer/conductor will usually state location, direction, track number, roadnumber, and train symbols. Sometimes not all transmissions will include the information I provided above. You can then use the train symbol or locomotive number and look it up on the internet.

Bullsheet.com is a good site for CSX symbols and locomotive models.

NSlocos.com is a good site for a complete NS roster.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

YahooGroups is where AI get a lot of information. SERails would be a goood one for you or even my Carolina Rails group. Those CSX locos are probably going into storage if the exhausts were capped. I'm not a big fan of scanners, therefore I don't know many train symbols. But the great thing about this hobby is that you can be as involved or as uninvolved as you want to be. Same about this web site. You don't need to know train symbols or origins or destinations if you don't want to. Don't know a loco model? Do a search onn the reporting marks and road number and there you go. Don't know the reporting marks? There's thousands of lists out there on line.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
YahooGroups is where AI get a lot of information.
I didn't know Iverson was a railfan.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:03 AM   #5
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatcar111 View Post
Like just today i saw a southbound CSX manifest near Chatsworth, Ga, that had 6 CSX AC6000s in tow, all had covers over exhaust and facing the same way,........storage , or rock train service bound maybe?
Thanks, Brent
Was this on the Manchester Sub and did the train have a SD50 leading two SD40-2's? I was on my way to Austell this morning, waiting at the Hamilton E Holmes MARTA stop along the Manchester sub when that thing came through, needless to say i was going a bit crazy unable to shoot that. If you got any shots id love to see.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
flatcar111

no shots, i was driving also. This train wasnt on the manchester, and had a wide cab GE leading. It was coming down the line from etowah , tn heading towards atlanta.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
Nscalemike

Send a message via AIM to Nscalemike

Here in Vegas, where the crews change inbound/outbound...they often call out their train symbol info to the yard office, in advance of their arrival. This way the oncoming crew can get needed supplies (crew packs, water, ice etc)...prior to the train pulls up to the depot. Sometimes, when the train pulls west/east...they engineer will notify the UP dispatcher that they are on their way...they sometimes confirm their length, tonnage etc...especially if they have to pick-up or drop off cars in / around the Vegas area.

So in this case, a scanner is extremely helpful for obtaining train symbol info etc..
Nscalemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatcar111 View Post
no shots, i was driving also. This train wasnt on the manchester, and had a wide cab GE leading. It was coming down the line from etowah , tn heading towards atlanta.
Was this early on the 24th? I saw it heading south on the Manchester around 7:30AM ish so if you saw it the day before that would make sense as they couldve swapped out the power at Tilford or just transferred the dead AC60's to a different train.
I hope the AC60's are being reactivated, they are the only modern widecab GE's that i actually am happy to see.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
Freericks
Met Fan

Thing about a scanner is that if you want the info, you have to be listening all the time and be ready to write it down when you hear it. The info will be called out, but they are not saying it constantly.

If a crew calls out their symbol, write it down. You most likely won't hear it again that day (unless there is some odd reason that they have to ID themselves again... the person that they had to ID themselves to now has the info and won't be requesting it again).

I say this, because I have seen railfans with scanners trackside, who have had train symbols called out to them, and then the train shows up 45 minutes later and they turn to me and ask me what the symbol is... and I tell them, it was called out on your scanner... you've got to write these things down if you want to collect them (and then I give it to them... I'm not mean about it... but if I'm not there, they wouldn't get it... even though they had heard it).

Lastly, if you are on a very heavy main line, with lots of intermodal or unit train traffic, don't expect to be able to collect symbols, unless you have an in with someone who works for the railroad. Even hearing the symbols isn't going to help when there are five trains out there that could be that symbol. When the trains are running like subways, I just give up myself and don't try to figure out which one is which.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 AM   #10
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

CSXT was calling symbol and lead loco number at every CP which helps a lot~last I fanned them.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:58 AM   #11
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
CSXT was calling symbol and lead loco number at every CP which helps a lot~last I fanned them.
I stand corrected... things are VERY different in California than back east.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Yah. I fanned the UP Ft. Worth Sub between Ft. Worth and Crowley for a week in 2007, and didn't hear much of anything.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Indeed they are...........

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
Rich K

It appears that the usefulness of a scanner varies by area. A scanner is very handy in the areas of Ohio I railfan.

Here in northern Ohio the 2 major Class 1 railroads are CSXT and Norfolk southern. The crews manning trains on both of these railroads are required to call out over the radio information that is indeed helpful to a railfan with a scanner and a bit of knowledge as to the locations of the control points on each line.

For example, CSX crews generally will call "CSXT 5499 (lead engine road number) clear CP17 (signal aspect and control point) Q16427 (Q164=train symbol 27=origin date). From transmission one knows the train info and location.

Norfolk Southern calls a slightly different pattern of info but the end value for a scanner equipped railfan is the same.

A partial list of website links of interest to railfans can be found on the Resources page at my web site.

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:57 AM   #15
flatcar111

Hey Nikos1, it was this past thursday afternoon i saw that train, the 23rd maybe?