Old 05-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
JMeade

Default Appeal Proposition

I recently submitted 3 shots that I thought were decent. What was working against me was it was indeed cloudy but there is absolutely nothing I can do to stiff arm mother nature into parting the clouds for the sun to shine.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=669043102

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=682524&key=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=998981865

Since I knew having a bland sky was working against me I croped the images in such a way that the sky filled the frame as little as possible. The subject content is in focus and the vibrant colors of the trees do make it a colorful photo.

There are quite a few photos here on the site that were taken in the same conditions mine were in and were accepted. I'm asking the same.

Critiques welcomed.

-Joe
JMeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
Ween

I'd say no the appeal because as they're all NJT units and usual movements, they are shots that can be replicated any other day throughout the year when the sun is shining...
Old 05-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
JMeade

With what you just mentioned, what else would you critique other than it was a cloudy day? I still find disregarding the image just because it was cloudy is a little harsh.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
jnohallman

It's a little harsh, but that's how the screeners want it. What you've run up against here is something that many, many others have as well. That is, it's up to the operators of the website to decide what standards they want to set, and we who submit have to work within that framework. It doesn't mean that a photo taken under cloudy conditions is a bad photo - it just means it's not what the administrators of this site want. Cloudy day/common power is one of those things that they don't want - if an image is easily reproducible under better conditions, they want the photo under better conditions.

Now, if you had shot something unusual under those clouds - like UP 844 running through the Feather River Canyon (of which there are a number of cloudy day shots posted recently) - then you have an argument. That doesn't happen every day. But I'm afraid you're out of luck here.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeade View Post
With what you just mentioned, what else would you critique other than it was a cloudy day? I still find disregarding the image just because it was cloudy is a little harsh.
It's not harsh.

You have taken plain-Jane shots, the sorts of shots that are taken hundreds of times a day (yes, by me also) just showing a train, a common wedgie, as they are generally called, and you have taken them on overcast days. They just aren't very interesting, they aren't up to RP standards. Cloudy is actually a big problem, because photography is about capturing light in an interesting way, and you had poor light, and you didn't do anything else interesting in terms of composition. So RP does either a) accept such shots if well lit with sun, or b) accept cloudy day shots (much less often) if there is something of some other dimension of great interest, which means some dimension of composition.

Photography is about capturing light. Photo-graph.

That sounds harsh, I know, but it actually isn't, it is very matter-of-fact. We have all taken such shots, some of us still do, alas. But RP is looking for more than that. Just the way it is.

BTW, one particular piece of advice, it looks like you are a tight-cropper, you are cropping too tight for the RP norm. (4110 is fine, the other two look too tight)

Some days are just not conducive to RP-level shots if the shot is a common wedgie. On those days I try to either a) figure out something non-common that works, or b) cut back on my expectations. There are lots of days when I am out there and I just know I won't have RP-quality stuff at the end of the day. Just the way it is.

[Hmm, two different threads, two statements of pretty much the same thing. I am on a roll! ]

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post

[Hmm, two different threads, two statements of pretty much the same thing. I am on a roll! ]
A hot dog roll? Would that be an empty hot dog roll? Or if it's empty, is it just - oh, never mind, we've done that before . . .

Jon

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
if an image is easily reproducible under better conditions, they want the photo under better conditions.
Yup.

I won't say that RP is always "the best" but it is to some extent about being better and if better is doable, your shot isn't going to get in if it is flawed according to RP criteria or doesn't meet a sort of minimum level.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
A hot dog roll? Would that be an empty hot dog roll? Or if it's empty, is it just - oh, never mind, we've done that before . . .

Jon
Just had a hot dog and a burger right off the grill! And a cob, and some onions, and some shrimp ...

RRRAAAHHH

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #9
JMeade

I see where you're coming from in some regards. But this cloudy day rejection line is really pushing the envelope in my opinion.

About a month ago, there was a rare move where they moved an old restored hack here on Long Island to the Transit Museum commemorating the 175th anniversery of the LIRR. Needless to say, the 3 captured frames I got were all denied because of cloudy conditions. It discourages me to even try and submitting anything in the future no matter what it is if these are the circumstances.

That day in history will never be recreated and unfortunately the cards dealt that day were overcast skies.

Those are my thoughts.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #10
A Siebold

Sounds like a good reason for a challenge to me. Did you challenge the rejections based on this information? I'd certainly give it another try.
A Siebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
I see where you're coming from in some regards. But this cloudy day rejection line is really pushing the envelope in my opinion.
What envelope?

The first thing you have to come to terms with is this: Railpictures.net is not the end-all-be-all. It is simply a site where one can submit pictures that are accepted on THEIR terms. If you don't like their terms, then there are an infinite number of possibilities for posting your pictures elsewhere.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 05-11-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typo
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:57 AM   #12
bigbassloyd

I've taken countless shots that tickled me to death (uncommon power, vintage equipment, etc) that mean the world to me, but they are not going to be that interesting to the rest of the world. I can't say I'd be extremely excited about a caboose in NY with bad lighting.

It's sometimes hard to understand why the shots that mean so much to you are not accepted, but when you're playing to a worldwide audience, historical to you sometimes isn't enough.

Make yourself a personal webspace, and share your shots there. We all have tons of shots that are not RP material, but still important to us.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 05-11-2009 at 01:59 AM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:05 AM   #13
Joe the Photog

Here's my latest head scratcher on why they seem to want perfect lighting --

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1229144523

Included here only to show that if you take this site too seriously, you'll keep getting frustrated. I have almost 600 shots here myself, but yesterday I went 1 for 10. Let it go. It's not worth it. There are other avenues to share your work with.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #14
cassfan3

I for one really think the common/cloudy complaint gets beaten to death here. RP is (in my opinion) more favorable to cloudy shots than to high sun or backlighting. (which, by the way, Joe, nice shot of 75. How does it look in color?)

Try to look at cloudy days as opportunities since you've got the technical aspects of exposure down. (This seems to work better in terms of RP acceptance if you're a scene guy like me instead of a motive power guy.) Cloudy days give you a chance to take all those shots that would otherwise not be doable b/c of backlighting, etc. The key is not to blow out the sky. Seems like RP will take pretty much anything if the sky isn't blown. See, RP will even take boring wide cabs under clouds: (obviously a shameless plug for myself)

Image © Nick McLean
PhotoID: 235756
Photograph © Nick McLean

Image © Nick McLean
PhotoID: 235189
Photograph © Nick McLean

Image © Nick McLean
PhotoID: 254170
Photograph © Nick McLean

,etc. ...if I could ever convince myself to do the whole RAW thing, cloudy days would be even greater, so they say...

-Nick McLean
Greenville, NC
cassfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:19 AM   #15
jnohallman

Nick, you've got to go RAW! I didn't think it would be worth the trouble, but man was I wrong!

Jon

Old 05-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
cblaz

Quote:
About a month ago, there was a rare move where they moved an old restored hack here on Long Island to the Transit Museum commemorating the 175th anniversery of the LIRR. Needless to say, the 3 captured frames I got were all denied because of cloudy conditions. It discourages me to even try and submitting anything in the future no matter what it is if these are the circumstances.

That day in history will never be recreated and unfortunately the cards dealt that day were overcast skies.
Hopefully, that was mentioned clearly in your caption or in the appeal submitted. For your NJT shots, however, like others have said, they can be redone on any sunny day with much better results. However, in 10-15 years, when the NJT Geeps are all retired and cut up, your shots would probably get on with no problem.

- Chris
Old 05-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassfan3 View Post
See, RP will even take boring wide cabs under clouds: (obviously a shameless plug for myself)

Image © Nick McLean
PhotoID: 235756
Photograph © Nick McLean
Well, your last name certainly is appropriate for that picture.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Nick, you've got to go RAW! I didn't think it would be worth the trouble, but man was I wrong!

Jon
RAW is the only way to go if you want to salvage those marginal shots. ( I have a ton of 'em) Here is a cloudy day shot from Saturday

Image © J Douglas Moore
PhotoID: 283013
Photograph © J Douglas Moore

AND here is my latest reject from the same trip.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=505547110
We all get shots that we like and want to share. The sun will not be good for this shot until late June and not much snow left in Palm Springs in June!

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #19
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I never seem to find the right light, so take a look at my pics if you want to see (admittedly overprocessed) acceptable cloudy day shots.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #20
cassfan3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Well, your last name certainly is appropriate for that picture.
Yes, well, tall narrow buildings and wide angle lenses aren't friends.

-Nick McLean
Greenville, NC
cassfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #21
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
...take a look at my pics if you want to see (admittedly overprocessed) acceptable cloudy day shots.
He admits to overprocessing! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Jon