Old 05-20-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
A Siebold

Default Still don't know what was wrong

My photo was rejected ... but with no comments as to why. When I appealed I questioned why it was rejected and after some time my appeal was rejected, but I still don't know why.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1251394061

It's of NKP 756 currently at Steamtown. The front and rear are clipped, but in the space available in the roundhouse this is the best I could do.
A Siebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

I have a very similar image of the same engine... (and you will note the same engine is my avitar... taken by my dad at the old Steamtown)

The truth of the matter is that some display engines are just displayed in ways that they will never make the database. There is nothing appealing about the image as a photograph, and this site is not a record of all existing locomotives in their present location, but rather a collection of exciting photography.

I'm sorry to say that this one is for the personal collection, and until 759 (not 756) gets pulled out and displaed outside one day, it won't be put back in the database.

As to the no comments, this does happen on occasion... it's happened to me... and I'll empathize... boy is it annoying... but I believe it's just an error.

Last edited by Freericks; 05-20-2009 at 05:18 AM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

My wife explained to me upon us seeing N&W 611 and 1218 cramped in the museum in Virginia that sometimes thingsd are to be seen, not photographed. As a photographer, this didn't translate for several long moments and I'm still not sure I fully understand what she meant. It wasn't until they pulled the 1218 out a few months later -- once I was three hundred miles away and broke -- that I understood.

Truthfully and seriously, sometimes you either got to know when to put the camera up or, at the very least, when to upload to RP and when not to. I decided there was already enough decent shots of the 611 and 1218 in their places that I didn't need to try to add another one to the mix.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:25 AM   #4
A Siebold

I wasn't taking the lack of comment personally, just ... well, as you say, it was annoying. And yes, I got the number wrong... I should never, ever, type a number without double-checking even when I 'know' the number.

As far as it being for my personal collection... all I can say is that I'm building up quite the collection.

I thought I got the lighting pretty good at least.

I remember several excursions behind this locomotive and when I visited Steamtown and actually paid to go into the museum itself (I used to live in Moscow, the once end to the local steam trips) I was surprised and delighted to find it sitting there.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Siebold View Post
I wasn't taking the lack of comment personally, just ... well, as you say, it was annoying. And yes, I got the number wrong... I should never, ever, type a number without double-checking even when I 'know' the number.

As far as it being for my personal collection... all I can say is that I'm building up quite the collection.

I thought I got the lighting pretty good at least.

I remember several excursions behind this locomotive and when I visited Steamtown and actually paid to go into the museum itself (I used to live in Moscow, the once end to the local steam trips) I was surprised and delighted to find it sitting there.
A Siebold - I am not normally one to correct, but that locomotive is the first one I ever took a photograph of myself (on an excursion in May of 1970). I also have my dad's shots of me with that engine from the 1970s.

So I hope you can forgive my correcting you. For 759, I just had to.

Charles
Old 05-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
A Siebold

Smile

Charles,
Yes, I misspoke the number... actually mistyped it.

For some, it is indeed the holy number which shall be spoken with reverence and awe, and I publicly blasphemed and beg forgiveness.

I believe it was between Hoboken and Binghamton that I last rode it -- one of the last High Iron Trips I believe. 1971??
Old 05-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Siebold View Post
Charles,
Yes, I misspoke the number... actually mistyped it.

For some, it is indeed the holy number which shall be spoken with reverence and awe, and I publicly blasphemed and beg forgiveness.

I believe it was between Hoboken and Binghamton that I last rode it -- one of the last High Iron Trips I believe. 1971??

Those trips in the late 1960s and early 1970s were what got a lot of us into railfanning, I think. I never got to ride behind it, but I do remember watching it go past.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
The truth of the matter is that some display engines are just displayed in ways that they will never make the database. There is nothing appealing about the image as a photograph, and this site is not a record of all existing locomotives in their present location, but rather a collection of exciting photography.

I'm sorry to say that this one is for the personal collection, and until 759 (not 756) gets pulled out and displaed outside one day, it won't be put back in the database.
759 in the database:

Image © Jeff Terry
PhotoID: 136456
Photograph © Jeff Terry

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 158127
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Image © Kelly Lynch
PhotoID: 203643
Photograph © Kelly Lynch

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

With the position the 759 is in, these photographers understood the challenge and focused on more creative angles, such as Kevin's smokebox detail shot, Jeff's use of 759 as size comparison and backdrop and Kelly's imaginative, missed-by-most angle. Andrew's shot is the only standard side shot, and proves that the engine doesn't have to be clipped, you just a wide angle (18mm in this case).

- Chris
Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #9
Freericks
Met Fan

I stand corrected... but I have to admit those images all make me very sad. I like to think of her this way...

Image © Donald Haskel
PhotoID: 233657
Photograph © Donald Haskel

Image © John Dziobko
PhotoID: 133020
Photograph © John Dziobko

Image © Martin K OToole
PhotoID: 80591
Photograph © Martin K OToole

Image © Martin K OToole
PhotoID: 58735
Photograph © Martin K OToole