Old 06-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #26
raider-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP990 View Post
1. In all your replies you have profoundly stated that this shot is "low quality". Indeed, that has been the primary reason of your dislike for this shot. I really have no objection to your dislike for this shot but because you cannot see the trucks does not automatically make it low quality. If that is a criteria for your work, that's fine. I have no problem with that. But to condem all shots, which obviously you will, shows a lack of vision, because you can only see in a constrained tunnel vision, or, are unable to experiment and think outside the box because it doesn't fit your preconceived idea of what is good or bad.

2. I'm not seeing these long shadows you are refering to? Long shadows happen early or late in the day, not when the sun is overhead. There are no long shadows in this shot.

Dave.
I respect your opinion and I'm sorry if I come off a bit harsh. I do believe in strict guidelines of what a good photo is and I tend to not deviate from them too much. I do believe in creativity as well though. I love seeing creative photos, especially long night exposures. But there's something that bothers me when the train is obstructed. I'm sure I could find exceptions that I'd enjoy viewing though. So I guess it's just a generalized statement.

As for the shadows, what I was referring to is the shadows cast downwards. They can be seen on the sides of objects. It's hard to see on the NS unit since it is black, but if you look on the side of the truck where it says "Flat Bed" you can see a longer shadow.
raider-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #27
CP990

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider-15 View Post
I do believe in creativity as well though. I love seeing creative photos, especially long night exposures.

As for the shadows, what I was referring to is the shadows cast downwards. They can be seen on the sides of objects. It's hard to see on the NS unit since it is black, but if you look on the side of the truck where it says "Flat Bed" you can see a longer shadow.
I love a good night shot as much as the next guy, but ............. I really am exhausted when I see yet another gaga streak shot. When one comes along, which is rare, that I like, I get goosebumps.

This might come as a surprise, so I hope you are sitting down? Shadows are a fact of life. Even at night the moon causes shadows. I don'ty know how we can get rid of them, or even if we would want to. Without shadows there would be no 3 dimensional form to our photos. They would be pretty flat and uninteresting don't you think? Come to think of it ............ a shadowless photograph is not possible.

Dave.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #28
raider-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP990 View Post
This might come as a surprise, so I hope you are sitting down? Shadows are a fact of life. Even at night the moon causes shadows. I don'ty know how we can get rid of them, or even if we would want to. Without shadows there would be no 3 dimensional form to our photos. They would be pretty flat and uninteresting don't you think? Come to think of it ............ a shadowless photograph is not possible.

Dave.
Yes, all that is true, and while shadows can really add to a photo, they can also do just the opposite. When the sun is high, long shadows can cover the details in objects. Usually with train photography the trucks will be completely covered in shadows. And if the sun is high enough it will cause the ground to look overexposed and your subject, whatever it may be, to look underexposed. Sometimes it can be a real pain.
raider-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #29
Kilroy1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
A recrop and color adjustment helps.
Instead of simply appealing, I'd suggest to recrop like proposed !
Rework your picture may be considered positively.
Train-Videos

Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #30
CP990

My shot was accepted after an appeal: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=288828&nseq=0

Dave.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #31
CP990

Here's the truck .................. if you are interested.

Dave.

Last edited by CP990; 07-03-2009 at 10:41 PM.
CP990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:46 AM   #32
khalucha

That is going to be a big bill after all said and done!

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:51 AM   #33
Joe the Photog

Congratulations, Dave. 1040 views and the #2 slow on the front page so far. It actually is a nice shot all things considered and tells a good story.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #34
CP990

Thanks. I was just happy it got accepted. I've never appealled a shot before, usually going with the screeners decision.

Dave.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #35
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Nice photo, The driver maybe looking for work, A lot of drivers don't believe the posted hight as a lot of towns post low to keep trucks out of towns.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #36
CP990

Over 3,000 views and a Top of the Day to boot. Sometimes you just have to stand up I guess.

Dave.