Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
troy12n

Default It's time to start a new "what were they thinking" thread

Leading out with this...

Image © Matt Landry
PhotoID: 625047
Photograph © Matt Landry

I don't know, lighting, foreground obstructions, PIQ, noise, I could probably think of more. Somehow this is sitting at #1 To24 too...

This seems atypical of Matt's body of work

Last edited by troy12n; 08-01-2017 at 07:13 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
KevinM

These days, To24 doesn't necessarily mean much. Whenever you see an image get there that leaves you scratching your head, it is probably more due to an aggressive Facebook campaign than anything else. Now that RP took away the ability to see where views are coming from, it's pretty much "Katie bar the door."

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:00 AM   #3
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
These days, To24 doesn't necessarily mean much. Whenever you see an image get there that leaves you scratching your head, it is probably more due to an aggressive Facebook campaign than anything else. Now that RP took away the ability to see where views are coming from, it's pretty much "Katie bar the door."
Kevin, I agree 100%. It seems that a whole crop of KB mini-me's are campaigning the crap out of stuff that is not necessarily better than a lot of concurrent submissions, and dominating many TO24 slots. I used to a have a feel for which of my submissions would do well, getting to the top four if not TO24. Now reaching that level only occurs if the campaigners all take the day off. I enjoy the idea of a daily photo contest, but not if abusers are gaming the system. Flickr is becoming much more fun, and I'm finding many non-RP or ex-RP folks who I'm following. I'm seriously thinking about shifting there entirely from "the best-campaigned railroad photos on the net".

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:44 AM   #4
miningcamper1

Oh, I don't know. 55 of my 120 accepted shots have made Top 2 or Top 4, and that's with zero campaigning by me. I've been a harsh critic of the site since before I even posted anything, but the views are still better here for now, so I'll stick around. I simply mentally made this the secondary, get more views place.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 08-02-2017 at 12:52 AM. Reason: revision
miningcamper1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:10 AM   #5
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Oh, I don't know. 55 of my 120 accepted shots have made Top 2 or Top 4, and that's with zero campaigning by me. I've been a harsh critic of the site since before I even posted anything, but the views are still better here for now, so I'll stick around. I simply mentally made this the secondary, get more views place.
Maybe so, but you have only had ten of those shots accepted in the past two years. I think that the landscape has changed quite a bit in that time, and I would be surprised if you have the same percentage on your next 120 photos, and not due to any quality decline in you submissions. A lot of good photographers have slowed their roll or totally disappeared from RP over that timeframe, but they post on Flickr frequently.

I don't want to sound anti-RP, as I've learned a lot here. That said, my most recent learning is that, with a good referral platform, a lot of photos that should be part of the pack are abnormally rising to the top.

That said, making RP a secondary platform is the next step, as opposed to total withdrawal.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:45 AM   #6
Darryl Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
Kevin, I agree 100%. It seems that a whole crop of KB mini-me's are campaigning the crap out of stuff that is not necessarily better than a lot of concurrent submissions, and dominating many TO24 slots. I used to a have a feel for which of my submissions would do well, getting to the top four if not TO24. Now reaching that level only occurs if the campaigners all take the day off. I enjoy the idea of a daily photo contest, but not if abusers are gaming the system. Flickr is becoming much more fun, and I'm finding many non-RP or ex-RP folks who I'm following. I'm seriously thinking about shifting there entirely from "the best-campaigned railroad photos on the net".
Totally agree, Doug. I have really enjoyed your offerings on Flickr!

Darryl
Old 08-02-2017, 03:49 AM   #7
miningcamper1

Quote:
I think that the landscape has changed quite a bit in that time, and I would be surprised if you have the same percentage on your next 120 photos...
My recent week's burst of activity: 5 submitted, 4 accepted, 3 Top Shots notices, 5875 views. Just selections from the Logan file that happened to be on top. I'm annoyed they wouldn't take the NYO&W station, but other than that I'm pleased.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 08-02-2017 at 03:58 AM. Reason: revision
miningcamper1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:54 AM   #8
bigbassloyd

I do agree Troy. That shot at full size is pretty rough.

I've never cared too much about the view counts myself, but I'm not a fan of the facebook image pimps who can't live without whor.. 'showcasing' their shot on every group they can join.

Perhaps I'll give the flickr a try someday, but considering my lack of motivation to post photos here (although I did upload my 1 for the month already), I don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #9
RobJor

I'd note he had a "better" version the day before, basically the same composition except without the turbines but otherwise a nicer image.

As far as TO-24 there are obviously a lot of factors but you can't compare something out of a logan box to something taken yesterday. Looking at the Landry day before photo which is nice but a CN train with a little fog it would be hard to say that is 3500 views image??

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
bigbassloyd

If one of my crappy shots can make it to TO24, anyone can (if the facebook sluts aren't in full PR mode).

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #11
KevinM

With regard to the original shot, I am a bit surprised that RP didn't object to the odd way in which the turbine on the left was cut off. The screeners usually don't like that sort of thing.

With regard to the "Facebook Sluts" (l love that description!), that sort of "me first" approach seems typical of the way people behave these days in the age of so-called "social media." Environments such as Facebook and the like are touted as bringing us all closer, but I think that in many cases, it's just the opposite. People say things on-line that they would never say to a person's face. Kids bully other kids mercilessly. People text each other instead of actually talking to them. Society is actually losing its social skills, not enhancing them. In the case of the RP "Facebook Sluts", these folks have no desire to see how their images stack up against those of others. They couldn't care less about anyone else. I once browsed the RP Profile of perhaps the most well-known of these folks. In the section where most of us show our three favorite shots that others have taken, his selection is.....blank. When I looked at his "Favorites"....they were all his own. I guess I wasn't too surprised at that.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #12
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
I'd note he had a "better" version the day before, basically the same composition except without the turbines but otherwise a nicer image.

As far as TO-24 there are obviously a lot of factors but you can't compare something out of a logan box to something taken yesterday. Looking at the Landry day before photo which is nice but a CN train with a little fog it would be hard to say that is 3500 views image??
I saw that one too, it wasn't any better IMHO, but I thought this one got the point across enough
Old 08-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #13
troy12n

Quote:
With regard to the original shot, I am a bit surprised that RP didn't object to the odd way in which the turbine on the left was cut off. The screeners usually don't like that sort of thing.

With regard to the "Facebook Sluts" (l love that description!), that sort of "me first" approach seems typical of the way people behave these days in the age of so-called "social media." Environments such as Facebook and the like are touted as bringing us all closer, but I think that in many cases, it's just the opposite. People say things on-line that they would never say to a person's face. Kids bully other kids mercilessly. People text each other instead of actually talking to them. Society is actually losing its social skills, not enhancing them. In the case of the RP "Facebook Sluts", these folks have no desire to see how their images stack up against those of others. They couldn't care less about anyone else. I once browsed the RP Profile of perhaps the most well-known of these folks. In the section where most of us show our three favorite shots that others have taken, his selection is.....blank. When I looked at his "Favorites"....they were all his own. I guess I wasn't too surprised at that.
I've never in my life posted a train photo on Facebook, simply because I do not want to be inundated with the inevitable "wtf" types of questions about the hobby...

I'm really glad some people do though. I enjoy looking at Ron Flannery's facebook feed.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #14
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I've never in my life posted a train photo on Facebook, simply because I do not want to be inundated with the inevitable "wtf" types of questions about the hobby...
The key is to mix in 'pretty' train photos with the other stuff. And don't go all foamer in the description.

Or get new friends on facebook.

Loyd L.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #15
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
...... People text each other instead of actually talking to them. Society is actually losing its social skills, not enhancing them.....
I'll second that thought! Everyone is glued to their phones, nice gadget but sucking the life out of society. YO look up! tech zombies.....
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #16
StL-rail

Send a message via AIM to StL-rail Send a message via MSN to StL-rail Send a message via Yahoo to StL-rail

Image © Frank Jolin
PhotoID: 625440
Photograph © Frank Jolin

I hate singling people out, but come on!
-Bad high sun
-Backlit
-Low contrast
-A little undersharp (at least on my screen)
-Unlevel

Did I miss anything?

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

-Canadian Pacific Conductor
-Union Pacific Conductor
-RRC Switchman
StL-rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #17
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StL-rail View Post
Image © Frank Jolin
Photograph © Frank Jolin

-Bad high sun
-Backlit
-Low contrast
-Unlevel

Did I miss anything?
It's certainly a departure from his normal saturation plus eleventy type shots.

Loyd L.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #18
Decapod401

Quote:
Image © Frank Jolin
Photograph © Frank Jolin

-Bad high sun
-Backlit
-Low contrast
-Unlevel

Did I miss anything?
Highly campaigned. Will be TO24 soon.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #19
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Highly campaigned. Will be TO24 soon.
Hope everyone else is scratching their head on it too..

Loyd L.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #20
troy12n

Quote:
Image © Frank Jolin
Photograph © Frank Jolin

-Bad high sun
-Backlit
-Low contrast
-Unlevel

Did I miss anything?
What the hell did he even do to get it looking like that? It appears there is sun, so why the need for overprocessing. Did he just completely botch the exposure?

And weird processing too
Old 08-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #21
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

The number of mediocre or even bad shots on RP is really endless. And some decent shots get nit picked to death. And some really good stuff shows up. C'est la vie. Why do people act surprised. Sceening is inherently judgmental, different things interest different people, and there are multiple screeners all with somewhat different standards. Heck, I be surprised if it were more consistent. The real downside is the good photogs who get discouraged but that is probably the nature of the beast. Net net I think RP does a reasonably good job for a low budget operation.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #22
RobJor

My feeling is people know what brings on a rejection and have experiences with rejections so they compensate in anticipation. Actually we don't know if this was his first try or is "corrected" version. In this case the operation was a success but the patient died.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #23
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post

I'm really glad some people do though. I enjoy looking at Ron Flannery's facebook feed.
it's very easy to create FB lists - the only people who see my train photos are either railfans or friends who have specifically said they like to see train photos
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:17 AM   #24
amtrak07t

Image © David Rohdenburg
PhotoID: 625263
Photograph © David Rohdenburg

I'll suppose we'll just throw the high sun and PIQ rejections right out the window.

Last edited by amtrak07t; 08-06-2017 at 01:20 AM.
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:05 AM   #25
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post
Image © David Rohdenburg
PhotoID: 625263
Photograph © David Rohdenburg

I'll suppose we'll just throw the high sun and PIQ rejections right out the window.
I feel there are much, much worse to complain about. That one isn't that bad. and it's not high sun.