Old 05-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
jay124

Default Editing Raw vs Jpeg

I've shot some pics in RAW, and was wondering if its better to edit the raw photo and then convert it or edit it in jpeg
Jason
jay124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
Northern Limits

If the exposure and colour look good I usually go straight to the JPEG. (Saves time duplicating what is already fine)
If shadows or highlights are an issue, I'll edit the RAW file.
Editing the RAW file gives you a lot more understanding of the digital dynamics.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

I shoot only RAW files. I open them up in Adobe PSE 7 and do some work with the sliders. I then convert it to JPEG at which time I edit as I would in the past when shooting JPEG only.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Edit in RAW as much as you can. With heavy editing jpeg will show a lot of degredation, whereas with a RAW file it will be limited.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
JimThias

I do no editing in RAW. Hell, I don't even know how to. My RAW file is just the original that I can go back to at any time to reprocess if necessary. I select an image in Canon's DPP, convert it to JPG and then process the JPG in Photoshop.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
KevinM

I make gross adjustments to the raw file in ACR (color, exposure, shadows etc.) then convert to TIFF and do most of the detail work there.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
troy12n
Banned

My workflow, I do ALL editinig in RAW, do all manipulation, then save as a PSD, then resize, then save as a jpeg.

Seems rediculous to convert to JPEG which introduces compression artifacting into the image and THEN working on the file. Always do the conversion last. There is really no reason not to unless you have some fly by night photo editing software that cannot directly manipulate a RAW file. If that is the case, convert to the highest quality file it can handle, like 16 bit TIFF, and edit, then convert to JPEG last.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Northern Limits

Wink

To add to what I wrote: My hobby is photography, not digital imaging. I much prefer to be out with a camera than inside at the screen. So I make the effort out in the field to get the right lighting, exposure, and even the crop.
Even editing a RAW file is a very basic routine: Check the white balance, the color profile (camera) options, open the image and do what ever tweaking needs to be done.
I may never get a picture like this (what can I say, the boy has talent.)

Image © Matthew Hicks
PhotoID: 268026
Photograph © Matthew Hicks

But I can live with that, I'm doing what I enjoy.
So Jason, the real answer to your question is up to you and where you want to spend your time and energy, and what are the results you want.

Maybe there is a reason I still have a loaded film camera in my bag

Old 05-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Seems rediculous to convert to JPEG which introduces compression artifacting into the image and THEN working on the file.
I guess I'd better go back and redo EVERY photo that I have submitted to this site, published, printed, etc.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 05-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #10
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I guess I'd better go back and redo EVERY photo that I have submitted to this site, published, printed, etc.
you cant teach an old dog new tricks I guess
Old 05-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Limits View Post
To add to what I wrote: My hobby is photography, not digital imaging. I much prefer to be out with a camera than inside at the screen. So I make the effort out in the field to get the right lighting, exposure, and even the crop.
Even editing a RAW file is a very basic routine: Check the white balance, the color profile (camera) options, open the image and do what ever tweaking needs to be done.
I may never get a picture like this (what can I say, the boy has talent.)

Image © Matthew Hicks
PhotoID: 268026
Photograph © Matthew Hicks

But I can live with that, I'm doing what I enjoy.
So Jason, the real answer to your question is up to you and where you want to spend your time and energy, and what are the results you want.

Maybe there is a reason I still have a loaded film camera in my bag
Aww, you're too kind.
Incidentally, that image did take a lot of alteration, most of it in RAW but a fair bit in photoshop after. IIRC, here's most of what I did...
First, the sky is like 3 or 4 stops brighter than the foreground. Fill light and recovery sliders help a lot for that. Then seperately select the sky and foreground and bring them closer together tonally, and then take care of the huge amount of noise that is now apparent in the foreground, hit the saturation with a good dose of radiation, and voila! A PCA Pie.
Of course, white balance and exposure adjustment only are fine too
Old 05-04-2010, 01:40 AM   #12
Ween

A lot of work...for a shot that still looks fake!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:10 AM   #13
Northern Limits

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
A lot of work...for a shot that still looks fake!
Welcome to the world of digital photography, where photos become enhanced images!
Lighting is "enhanced", colour is "enhanced", dynamic range is "enhanced", sharpness is "enhanced" and so on and so on. Nik Software has a whole arsenal of programs to enhance your images.

So Matthew's image (could use plural here ) does not look fake - it looks digitally enhanced! This gives it a certain artistic, or even commercial look. But it still takes talent and know how to accomplish a pleasing result - hence the "Peoples Choice Award."

Each one of us enhances our images to get them accepted on RP. To what degree depends on our own ability and preference.

In answer to Jason's original question about editing RAW or JPEG — we know RAW files have more detail and versatility, but a good JPEG image will suffice for this website. So it really comes down to how much digital enhancement is needed, or you are willing to do.

I can appreciate a good digitally enhanced image , but still prefer "photos" over "images".

Last edited by Northern Limits; 05-04-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: To "enhance" what I wrote.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Every photo demands a different procedure but 90% get a lot of the adjustments done to the raw image first with the rest done to the converted file in PS.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
karldotcom

Send a message via AIM to karldotcom

Well, I wouldnt go that far....

Even RP's compression destroys your perfected RAW photo. (IMHO)

My friend kept telling me to edit in Canon DPP...and I ignored him....but now that is all I use.... Be sure to check for updates on the Canon website also....they come out very frequently.

>>I guess I'd better go back and redo EVERY photo that I have submitted to this site, published, printed, etc
Old 05-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #16
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

I work the raw only if it needs major color or exposer work other wise I pull a Jpeg off the RAW. Don't run Canon's DPP as I end up 2 files to search. Luckily the IPhoto RAW works well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #17
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by karldotcom View Post
Well, I wouldnt go that far....

Even RP's compression destroys your perfected RAW photo. (IMHO)

My friend kept telling me to edit in Canon DPP...and I ignored him....but now that is all I use.... Be sure to check for updates on the Canon website also....they come out very frequently.

>>I guess I'd better go back and redo EVERY photo that I have submitted to this site, published, printed, etc
If your response is to JimThias's (since you quoted it at the bottom of your reply), he was being sarcastic about going back and re-doing all his shots...
Old 05-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #18
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Seems rediculous to convert to JPEG which introduces compression artifacting into the image and THEN working on the file. Always do the conversion last. There is really no reason not to unless you have some fly by night photo editing software that cannot directly manipulate a RAW file. If that is the case, convert to the highest quality file it can handle, like 16 bit TIFF, and edit, then convert to JPEG last.
We all do things our own way. If you put us all in Chicago and told us to get to Los Angeles, we'd probably all get there, but none of us might take the same route. If you really think the way Jim does things is ridiculous, just take a look through his photostream. Looks pretty good to me.

What I find ridiculous is people who think their way is the best, if not the only, way of doing things.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:55 AM   #19
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
We all do things our own way. If you put us all in Chicago and told us to get to Los Angeles, we'd probably all get there, but none of us might take the same route. If you really think the way Jim does things is ridiculous, just take a look through his photostream. Looks pretty good to me.

What I find ridiculous is people who think their way is the best, if not the only, way of doing things.
Im not taking away anything from Jim's abilities, I am just stating a fact, its really not opinion, its a fact. There are many ways to skin a cat, but really this one part of your workflow should be a no brainer.

I mean Jim could use MS Paint to do his pictures and it might work. I'm sure his pics dont need nearly as much work as some of ours in the first place. And in that case, his workflow "works" great for him.

All I am saying is that doing your editing in RAW and converting last really is THE cleanest way to do your photo editing. Otherwise, you might as well just shoot in JPEG and let your camera handle the conversion and save yourself some space.

Jim, why dont you try it out and see what you think?

Joe, how do you handle this situation?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 AM   #20
trainboysd40

Quote:
I mean Jim could use MS Paint to do his pictures and it might work.
I tried that when I first sumitted to RP...
Resizing doesn't go well at all.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #21
JimThias

Quote:
Jim, why dont you try it out and see what you think?
Because I use photoshop to edit my images, not DPP. And at this time, the version of photoshop that I use can't edit RAW files. Furthermore, I'm using a mac mini to edit my pictures. It has a hard enough time as it is editing full size JPGs or TIFF files. 99% of the time I edit my images, it's for the web. For that 1% I end printing or having published, I'll edit a TIFF file. I see no reason to use DPP to edit my pictures. From what I can tell, it has no where near the flexibility of photoshop, so it would be pointless for me to use it.

And I will always shoot in RAW regardless if I edit a RAW file or convert it to JPG to edit it. I'd rather have the highest quality original on file to work from than a JPG.

Quote:
Otherwise, you might as well just shoot in JPEG and let your camera handle the conversion and save yourself some space.
In 2010, NO ONE should be concerned about memory space. Storage is the cheapest it's ever been in the history of the world.

Last edited by JimThias; 05-06-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #22
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Because I use photoshop to edit my images, not DPP. And at this time, the version of photoshop that I use can't edit RAW files.
Ok, that is a good enough explanation, must be pre-cs2 photoshop without ACR? Maybe ACR is available as an add-on for that version of PS? I dont know, I went from Photoshop 7 to Photoshop CS3, and they are worlds apart.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #23
trainboysd40

Quote:
In 2010, NO ONE should be concerned about memory space. Storage is the cheapest it's ever been in the history of the world.
It always has been, and presumably always will be
That being said, my 250 gigs of RAW files (and rapidly growing) do push it a little. I've used 15 gigs in the last week, and I don't think it will slow much for the next week.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #24
JimThias

Quote:
Ok, that is a good enough explanation, must be pre-cs2 photoshop without ACR? Maybe ACR is available as an add-on for that version of PS? I dont know, I went from Photoshop 7 to Photoshop CS3, and they are worlds apart.
PS7 because I'm still using an older OS on the computer I do my image processing on. When the day comes that I get a beefier and faster Mac, I'll get the latest and greatest CS-whatever.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #25
chico

I don't shoot RAW, I shoot slides, and someone else scans them for me! HA! That said, the guy who does em for me and shoots RAW digital files, says there is no such thing as making adjustments to RAW files..they are what they are. oh sure, you can make some recipe changes, then convert to Jpeg, which he does sometimes, but most of the time its DPP to convert RAW to Jpeg then processes then upload. but, like the person said, lots of ways to get to LA.. or is it San Jose??
chico is offline   Reply With Quote