Old 07-22-2010, 03:34 AM   #1
nssd70

Default Help On Photo

I uploaded this picture,and it got rejected for overexposed,but I haven't done anything with the exposure,so I was wondering what I need to do. Thanks,
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	detour.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	5643  
nssd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:20 AM   #2
Dennis A. Livesey

It's best if you post the rejection link so we see what the screeners saw.

(Say that three times fast...)

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
Joey Bowman

The yellow/black locomotive and that part of the photo is a tad over exposed/bright. If you shot this using a RAW file it shouldn't be a problem at all to bring the exposure down a tad bit on that side of the file (but not on the BNSF engine and tree). If not then you could still use curves in photoshop to bring the exposure down to a slightly more appealing level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	detour.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	723.4 KB
ID:	5644  
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssd70 View Post
I uploaded this picture,and it got rejected for overexposed,but I haven't done anything with the exposure,so I was wondering what I need to do.
Well, you did do something with the exposure. You overexposed the shot, whether you did this manually or if you let the camera chose the settings. Bad idea to let the camera chose the settings as no camera is ever as smart as the person holding it.

The lighting leaves a lot to be desired for RP's intents. Meets can be tricky to shoot and in your case, there are some issues that I see. First, the BNSF loco is cut off in a strange, asthetically unpleasing way, right in the middle of the second set of trucks. The Iowa Interstate train is also cut off in a less than eye pleasing way. I'd like to see more train tailing off out of the frme. Also, perhaps more importantly, your eyes are led directly to the center of the frame where there is..... nothing there. Obviously I don't know the situation, but it seems like a better shot would have you standing more to the left and the back. This would have helped with the cropping and the lighting issues on the trucks.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
TJFarmer
Banned

You shot "across" the light, not with it. That pole shadow is evidence of that. Looks like a grab shot, and you did not have time to adjust.
TJFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote