Old 08-12-2014, 12:01 AM   #1
baggydave

Default doubled on paq's

I know that I am a Rockies fan but to have both of these paq'd seems a little unfair and rubbing salt into the wounds. I could be wrong on these things but i think that they are both interesting shots. Grainy maybe and other issues as well but I always value the opinions of you gentlemen so I offer these for lambasting.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...75&key=4637427
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...28&key=7786211
Best wishes all
Davehewitt
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

They are both very interesting shots, but the first one is combining being moody (aka artsy fartsy) with an iffy subject (abandoned rail). The second is just not a train photograph. Nice work, not right for this site.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
Mgoldman

Seeing rejections like that...

I dunno - you've been a patron for over 5 years and have over 300 photos, half in on appeal if I recall correctly... you're one of my favorite remaining RP posters - just in case, why don't you send me your FLICKR link, too.

In the mean time - maybe PAQ is shorthand for other issues?

The double gates /doors image looks a bit soft and maybe needs more contrast. It asks to be centered, perhaps?

The tractor is excellent as is. Maybe it needs to be brighter? I wouldn't but you could pick up on an old trend on RP and add a vignette - it will make it look brighter with darker borders.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
The second is just not a train photograph. Nice work, not right for this site.
Lol - yeah, that too.

A better rejection would've been "Train too far away". Or simply, "this is not a train". But I have to wonder - are you worth the effort? You know what my answer would be.

/Mitch
Old 08-12-2014, 02:02 AM   #5
MagnumForce

First image appears more like a German concentration camp photo taken in 1942 than a British steam photo taken in 1967. Technically it has a lot of issues for not much content,

Second shot is of a steam roller, not a train even if there is a train back there somewhere.

PAQ is the right call on these. They don't want to publish that type of material, not sure why Mitch believes it needs further explanation. The Explanation is right here.
Quote:
- Poor Aesthetic Quality: This rejection means that the photo is of low aesthetic qualities, does not contain enough rail-related content, or is simply not the type of material we wish to publish.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:29 AM   #6
JRMDC

Love the first one!

Second one, of course not for RP, but also one glaring fault, in my view, is that you are going for the old/period look but the tractor is clearly labeled "RESTORATIONS" and in general I don't much care for how it has been lettered up there. Sticks out, ruins the mood, for me.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:53 AM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
First image appears more like a German concentration camp photo taken in 1942 than a British steam photo taken in 1967.
My exact thought as well upon first viewing.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:23 AM   #8
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
PAQ is the right call on these. They don't want to publish that type of material, not sure why Mitch believes it needs further explanation. The Explanation is right here.
I just saw STEAM. it didn't even dawn on me until Charles pointed out on his near simultaneously post that it wasn't a train, lol. I guess it didn't hit Dave, either.

Hey - a steam powered tractor is just a steam engine that doesn't need rails!

And, no - Stanley Steamer cars don't fit the bill - they don't have smoke stacks and their boilers are hidden from view.

Still a very cool photo!

/Mitch
Old 08-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #9
baggydave

Thanks. I love the other pairs of eyes which put things into perspective. I would argue that this is not trainpictures.net but railpictures and therefore both should qualify as railway subjects. If abandoned bits of track can get in why not an abandoned roundhouse and distant loco? It's all in the eye of the beholder. Trouble with that shot is that it was 1967, I had a poor camera and used 400 ASA film. Camera has long since gone and the negative is only jusyt rescueable. I have a shot riding in a steam hauled passenger train going over the Berlin wall in 1967 and it is nigh on unsaveable because of the deterioration of the negative. Pity that. Mitch you are correct about most of mine in on appeal. It does become a hassle over time. And since you asked , here is my flickr link and thanks for the support.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/djhewi...h/14851138844/
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Ron Flanary

The first one is fantastic, but maybe a little soft (but, it was taken in 1967 on film, so that should be taken in consideration). I would have accepted it without hesitation.

The second one is good as well, but it's primarily a steam tractor shot rather than a railway locomotive. I can understand why that was gigged.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
The first one is fantastic, but maybe a little soft (but, it was taken in 1967 on film, so that should be taken in consideration). I would have accepted it without hesitation.

The second one is good as well, but it's primarily a steam tractor shot rather than a railway locomotive. I can understand why that was gigged.

/Mitch
Old 08-13-2014, 01:25 AM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I just saw STEAM. it didn't even dawn on me until Charles pointed out on his near simultaneously post that it wasn't a train, lol. I guess it didn't hit Dave, either.

Hey - a steam powered tractor is just a steam engine that doesn't need rails!
He's gonna need MOAR TRAIN in the background if he wants to showcase the steam tractor.

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 290908
Photograph © Jim Thias

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:33 AM   #13
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
He's gonna need MOAR TRAIN in the background if he wants to showcase the steam tractor.

/Mitch