Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Carl Becker

Default Selling kit lenses

So... I got a good deal on a bundle that included a couple of kit lenses that I'm looking to sell. So, my question is, where can I get the best cash for 'em? One is the usual Canon 18-55 IS II, which is not in its original box (came in the same package as the body), but is still in its bubble wrap and is completely unused. The other is a Canon 75-300 III. It's still in the original packaging since it was shipped separately.

So... can I get new or at least close-to-new value for these, and where would be the best place to do it?

Thanks

~Carl Becker
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
JRMDC

I don't know what you think "close-to-new" value means. That can mean the retail price for a new lens, or it can mean the increase in cost of a body/lens bundle over just a body.

KEH sells the 18-55 new for $200, EX+ for $100. I'd say $100 is your max. $50 might be a reasonable expectation.

Amazon is currently selling the 4Ti for $60 cheaper with the 18-55! So go out and pay someone to take that baby off you hands!

There are two variants of the 75-300 III, one has USM. Which do you have? KEH has the USM version new for $200, the USM at EX for 100, the non-USM also at EX for 76.

Craigslist is my usual first thought on a lens sale, especially lower end. Someone here is, optimistically, I think, selling the 75-300 III non-USM "brand new" for $150. Two people, actually.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
jnohallman

Like Janusz, I'd start by listing them on Craigslist and see what you can get there.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I don't know what you think "close-to-new" value means. That can mean the retail price for a new lens, or it can mean the increase in cost of a body/lens bundle over just a body.
Something along those lines. I doubt I could get full value for the 18-55 since it is not in the box. But since the 75-300 is, I'd probably want closer to new for it.

Quote:
Amazon is currently selling the 4Ti for $60 cheaper with the 18-55! So go out and pay someone to take that baby off you hands!
I think that's because of this rebate on a T4i w/ kit lens bundle:

http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets...212_rebate.pdf

Apparently they don't think you're spending enough to earn a rebate if you're only buying the body.

Quote:
There are two variants of the 75-300 III, one has USM. Which do you have? KEH has the USM version new for $200, the USM at EX for 100, the non-USM also at EX for 76.
Now that I look, oddly, the non-USM is actually $20 more on Amazon. I have the non-USM which is $199 brand new from them. So I would say that the offers that you mentioned below aren't actually a stretch.

Quote:
Craigslist is my usual first thought on a lens sale, especially lower end. Someone here is, optimistically, I think, selling the 75-300 III non-USM "brand new" for $150. Two people, actually.
Fair enough, off I go to take a look around. I'll listen to anyone else's 2 cents as well.

Thanks,

~Carl Becker
Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

20 bucks for the kit lens. Just pay the S&H and put the 20 right in the same box with the lens. I'll private message you my address. Thank you.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
20 bucks for the kit lens. Just pay the S&H and put the 20 right in the same box with the lens. I'll private message you my address. Thank you.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #7
Mr. Pick

I've had good success selling stuff over at POTN. Sold my 18-55, my 55-250, and my T2i. I priced them at what I thought was fair, and they all went quickly. You've got a very targeted audience there.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php?
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote