Old 06-13-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Wizzo

Default Exposure Compensation

Had this shot rejected for overexposure

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...68&key=3724287

I can see the sky is borderline, but having played with the levels in Photoshop, this was about the best compromise I could find without darkening the shadows at the bottom of the cab too much.

Are there any other tricks I can apply in Photoshop (I have V6) to help out ?

Thanks
STEVE
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
JRMDC

It sounds like you are so concerned about the shadow under the cab that you are willing to sacrifice 95% of the shot to get that little part right.

I suspect PS 6 is too old to have the shadows/highlights tool, but if it does you can use the shadows tool to bring up the dark areas a bit. Or you can select only the shadow area of concern (does PS 6 have the magnetic lasso?) and bring up the exposure only there, after you have eliminated the overexposure elsewhere.

If you can't do either of those, I would suggest investing in more modern software.

J

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
It sounds like you are so concerned about the shadow under the cab that you are willing to sacrifice 95% of the shot to get that little part right.

I suspect PS 6 is too old to have the shadows/highlights tool, but if it does you can use the shadows tool to bring up the dark areas a bit. Or you can select only the shadow area of concern (does PS 6 have the magnetic lasso?) and bring up the exposure only there, after you have eliminated the overexposure elsewhere.

If you can't do either of those, I would suggest investing in more modern software.

J
Fixed it - thats my first digital shot accepted.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=190092

The problem was the monitor on my laptop - I compared the shot on my desktop monitor - way too light and washed out. Started processing the original from the camera again using the desktop and this time, success - Thanks.

I believe PS 6 does have the shadow/highlight tool and it does have magnetic lasso. Photoshop techniques are the things I have to learn most about, being a novice in this area, but it was much easier to process this shot from the digital camera than the scanned slides I've been working with so far.

STEVE
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo
The problem was the monitor on my laptop - I compared the shot on my desktop monitor - way too light and washed out. Started processing the original from the camera again using the desktop and this time, success - Thanks.
congrats, that one looks a lot better

Yes, monitors are a big problem, I only use one computer for processing, and when I am commenting in the RP forum, I adjust my remarks when I am on a different computer or wait until I get to the computer whose monitor I trust.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote