Old 07-08-2009, 03:54 AM   #1
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09
Default Post-Acceptance Analysis

So here's something that has me scratching my head. I uploaded these two photos right after one another.

The first one was my fireworks photo from the 4th. I expected a respectable amount of views and favorites, which the photo got.
Image © Mike Wnek
PhotoID: 289686
Photograph © Mike Wnek

The second photo was my picture of the NS OCS deadhead move. It's an OK photo, by no means extraordinary, and one I expected to garner a marginal amount views and maybe a favorite or two.
Image © Mike Wnek
PhotoID: 289685
Photograph © Mike Wnek

The result (as of this writing) was that the OCS ended up with quite a lot of favorites, more than the fireworks shot.

My question is: what makes the OCS shot so "favoritable?"

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:01 AM   #2
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

The little 12 yr old foamers who frequent this site probably like the F units because of their AWESOME K5LA's!!!
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #3
jnohallman

To be honest, I think the OCS shot is a cleaner shot, a neater composition, if you will, and more obviously "railroady". The fireworks shot is a nice catch, and technically much more involved, but I think you end up almost with the effect of two photos in one. The top half of the fireworks shot is just that, a nice shot of fireworks over a nice scene of buildings. The lower half is a busy yard shot, which is also a nice shot. But there's something just a little bit jarring about the composition - the two somehow don't seem to flow together nicely. I suspect there are a lot of people in those "favorites" who like the simpler composition of the OCS shot . . . Just my thoughts. I like them both.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
wongm

The light engine move seems to be a more interesting thumbnail, the fireworks shot just doesn't 'jump out' when it is so tiny in size.
wongm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:50 AM   #5
raider-15

I will sort of echo what Jon said. The fireworks photo is interesting, but could have been composed a bit better. It bothers me how the nose of the P42 is somewhat obstructed. I think it got a good amount of favorites though, and as of now it actually has one more than the OCS shot.
raider-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:03 AM   #6
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

There's probably a lot of viewers on the site that aren't contributors, who view the site primarily for the train, more often just for the power. They could care less about the composition of the shot or how well it works. Hey, so be it, but that's just my thoughts.

Ben
Old 07-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongm View Post
The light engine move seems to be a more interesting thumbnail, the fireworks shot just doesn't 'jump out' when it is so tiny in size.
On the contrary, it's clear what the NS shot is in the thumbnail, giving me a reason not to click on it if I've seen that locomotive a million times before. With the fireworks shot, the thumbnail doesn't reveal much of what's going on, temping me, the viewer, to click on it to see the details.

Just another perspective.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Cool

"Places to railfan this year :

Sandpatch - Complete
West Slopes - Brief visit, will return*
Cleveland - on the to do list
Sandpatch in the fall - a MUST

*West slopes in the fall to exterminate a rat - personal goal "

lol, but remember the old adage, Ben:

"Never wrestle with a pig; you just get filthy, and the pig enjoys it"

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
On the contrary, it's clear what the NS shot is in the thumbnail, giving me a reason not to click on it if I've seen that locomotive a million times before. With the fireworks shot, the thumbnail doesn't reveal much of what's going on, temping me, the viewer, to click on it to see the details.

Just another perspective.
Yes, Jim, but the issue is favorties, not views. Looking at all the shots of NS 4271, it seems that if you take a standard wedgie, you are going to get 7 favorites and probably 9 or 10. Lots of people just love equipment shots, they love the engines, not the photography. I am with Ben.

Ah, breaking news, the fireworks shot is now ahead in favorites! Perhaps a bunch of of forum participants looked at it? Steven, Chase, and you, Jim, are now on the list. Me too, now, it is a nice effort, despite the issues Jon raised. Also, I am biased towards Philly shots since I lived there a while and I vaguely recall having stood at the same location.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Yes, Jim, but the issue is favorties, not views. Looking at all the shots of NS 4271, it seems that if you take a standard wedgie, you are going to get 7 favorites and probably 9 or 10. Lots of people just love equipment shots, they love the engines, not the photography. I am with Ben.
Right, but I was replying to wong's comment about the thumbnails of the two shots. (and I agree with Ben, too)

Quote:
Ah, breaking news, the fireworks shot is now ahead in favorites! Perhaps a bunch of of forum participants looked at it? Steven, Chase, and you, Jim, are now on the list.
I could have sworn I was the first one on the list after I left my comment on his pic.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Thanks for all the input guys! Your analysis seems just about spot on.

The irony of this thread, is that by creating this thread, the fireworks photo ended up getting more favorites!

Oh, and I'm aware of the the catenary pole obstruction on the P42. That's why I tried to crop it less so that the P42 was the main subject of the photo, and all of the engines were. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to compose it so that the catenary pole didn't obstruct it. :-/ I still like the photo regardless.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote