Old 12-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
crazytiger

Default Lightroom 3

So, I have a Lightroom 3 trial for now, and I'm trying to figure out where my quality is going? It looks pretty bad, but the original, while slightly soft, looks decent IQ-wise. Anybody have Lightroom and how to resize not when you export it? And what DPI do I export at?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG7458.jpg (541.4 KB, 172 views)

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."

Last edited by crazytiger; 12-09-2011 at 02:25 AM.
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Anybody have Lightroom and how to resize not when you export it? And what DPI do I export at?
When you export at 100 quality and 300ppi (see attachment), it should not be resized unless you limit the file size or resize to fit.

That what you were asking?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LR3Setting.JPG (78.5 KB, 156 views)

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
KevinM

Hi Peter,

I am assuming that you are talking about outputting a file for an upload to RailPictures.net....correct?

With Lightroom.....other folks with more expertise, please feel free to correct me.....you WILL need to export a JPEG with the appropriate dimensions and filesize. You will also likely need to resharpen that resized file.

JRMDC and I had this discussion a while back. The way I believe that Lightroom works is as follows. Lightroom uses the basic raw file (or JPEG, if that's what you have) and builds a sidecar file of adjustments. As you add adjustments, that sidecar file grows. Lightroom displays for you the effect of your adjustments, but does not alter the original camera file. Only when you EXPORT a file, does Lightroom actually use the adjustments to create a copy of the original with the adjustments actually applied. The beauty of Lightroom is that you never have to SAVE anything and you can always go back and delete adjustments you've made without going back to square one.

So.... If you want to upload a file to RP, you will need to make your adjustments, then EXPORT a JPEG file with appropriate dimensions (like 1024x682) and filesize (1MB max). I export it to Windows Folder that I call "RP Images". Rather than re-importing those files to Lightroom, applying an extra sharpening pass and exporting them again for upload to RP, I just use another program to sharpen the original resized JPEG. I use PSE, because it takes only a few seconds.

There may be a way to do things more efficiently, but what I am doing does work....and....knock on wood....I am not having issues with undersharpened/soft rejections.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Lightroom uses the basic raw file (or JPEG, if that's what you have) and builds a sidecar file of adjustments. As you add adjustments, that sidecar file grows.
Kevin, is there a process for saving multiple sets of adjustments? So I might want to do adjustments, then come back a few days later and do more adjustments, but not lose the first version, the first set of adjustments.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
crazytiger

Thanks, guys (Kevin especially).

AB, I was asking, in a roundabout fashion, how you go about sharpening after resizing.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Kevin, is there a process for saving multiple sets of adjustments? So I might want to do adjustments, then come back a few days later and do more adjustments, but not lose the first version, the first set of adjustments.
Hi J,

Yes. The program allows you to save "snapshots" before moving on and doing more adjustments. You can go back to those snapshots at any time.

LR has a history panel on the left side that shows every adjustment from square one. You can always go to that panel and click on a specific state to see what the image looked like at that point. Whenever you do this however, you need to click back to the present state before closing Lightroom or the adjustments subsequent to that state would be lost. That is the only thing in Lightroom that is at all like doing a SAVE. It is not a problem, really. I've never messed up an image that way yet.

It is best to use the Snapshot feature to save multiple versions.

I like having both LR and PSE to edit photos. LR is far better for reviewing the take from a given shoot and quickly getting the best ones looking decent. The Adjustment Brush handles most local adjustments within an image with ease. If you want to use (or at least sample the effect of) "Auto" features such as AutoColor, AutoContrast, AutoLevels, AutoSmartFix, then PSE is better. If you really need Layers, then you need PSE. Last, but not least, if you need to do any significant amount of cloning/healing, PSE is the place to go. The programs work decently together.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Mr. Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hi J,

Yes. The program allows you to save "snapshots" before moving on and doing more adjustments. You can go back to those snapshots at any time.

LR has a history panel on the left side that shows every adjustment from square one. You can always go to that panel and click on a specific state to see what the image looked like at that point. Whenever you do this however, you need to click back to the present state before closing Lightroom or the adjustments subsequent to that state would be lost. That is the only thing in Lightroom that is at all like doing a SAVE. It is not a problem, really. I've never messed up an image that way yet.

It is best to use the Snapshot feature to save multiple versions.

I like having both LR and PSE to edit photos. LR is far better for reviewing the take from a given shoot and quickly getting the best ones looking decent. The Adjustment Brush handles most local adjustments within an image with ease. If you want to use (or at least sample the effect of) "Auto" features such as AutoColor, AutoContrast, AutoLevels, AutoSmartFix, then PSE is better. If you really need Layers, then you need PSE. Last, but not least, if you need to do any significant amount of cloning/healing, PSE is the place to go. The programs work decently together.
This is exactly my experience as well. I have both LR3 and PSE9, and I use mine almost exactly as you do. Very nice combo, in my opinion. I had PSE first, and it took me a little while to get comfortable with LR, but now that I am, I really like it.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote