Old 08-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
PArailfan
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 41
Default Sometimes railroading is not always aesthetic!

I very rarely use this forum to complain about a photo that didn't make it. But I feel like the site dropped the ball on this one. Everything in railroading is not shiny and pretty, especially not flood damage! Being as this flood disrupted daily freight service on this up and coming SWP shortline in Dunbar, PA, I believe it's an important story, and a shame that this site has gotten to the level where only "artsy" photos are accepted. Last time I checked, two hi-rail grapples on a railroad track are railroad related. But maybe that's just me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5040.1408872371.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	8729  
PArailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PArailfan View Post
I very rarely use this forum to complain about a photo that didn't make it. But I feel like the site dropped the ball on this one. Everything in railroading is not shiny and pretty, especially not flood damage! Being as this flood disrupted daily freight service on this up and coming SWP shortline in Dunbar, PA, I believe it's an important story, and a shame that this site has gotten to the level where only "artsy" photos are accepted.
I disagree with most of your statement... especially the part I highlighted. There's lots of non-artsy, non-creative stuff accepted every day. They dont like your shot, but in full disclosure, I dont see anything that jumps out at me as it being spectacular, so it's another MOW shot, which they dont do a whole lot of anyway

Quote:
Last time I checked, two hi-rail grapples on a railroad track are railroad related. But maybe that's just me?
Lots of things are RR related that they dont accept pics of, you have to accept that
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default

Mark it on your calendar, I am in full agreement with Troy. For the first time ever.
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

It's an interesting shot, not a spectacular shot - and I think they have (and should have) a higher bar for MOW stuff.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

It would help - a lot - if you were to provide the reason for rejection.

It would also help - A LOT - if you had the slightest familiarity with RP before making such a bonehead statement such as "a shame that this site has gotten to the level where only "artsy" photos are accepted." RP is the land of artless wedgies with a few artsy stuff thrown it. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I'm normally a gentle soul, or so I like to think, but something about what the OP said just set me off, it seems like communication is not likely to ensue. I suppose I am now contributing to that statement.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
jac_murphy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 376
Default

I might have pulled back slightly to give a bit more emphasis to the muddy river and flood debris, and allow a bit of breathing room for the trucks as well. The photo also looks to me like it needs a bit of contrast... but that being said, despite these two minor points of contention, I think this photo fully deserves to get on. Let's remember that this is railpictures, not trainpictures, and this photo shows railroading in one of its purest forms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
It's an interesting shot, not a spectacular shot - and I think they have (and should have) a higher bar for MOW stuff.
May I ask why?

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
PArailfan
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
It would help - a lot - if you were to provide the reason for rejection.

It would also help - A LOT - if you had the slightest familiarity with RP before making such a bonehead statement such as "a shame that this site has gotten to the level where only "artsy" photos are accepted." RP is the land of artless wedgies with a few artsy stuff thrown it. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I'm normally a gentle soul, or so I like to think, but something about what the OP said just set me off, it seems like communication is not likely to ensue. I suppose I am now contributing to that statement.
You assume I know nothing about the site. Why, because I don't have 10,654 posts like you? You know what they say about assuming too much. You are too eager jump on a post without being civil. A senior member would behave better, I would hope. From seeing these replies, I realize this site and the users have very little interest or tolerance for MOW photos. There are sites that do, and I am better suited to use those ones from now on. NOW my communication is not likely to ensue, because I'm done here, wasting this website's time, and my own.
PArailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
PArailfan
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac_murphy View Post
I might have pulled back slightly to give a bit more emphasis to the muddy river and flood debris, and allow a bit of breathing room for the trucks as well. The photo also looks to me like it needs a bit of contrast... but that being said, despite these two minor points of contention, I think this photo fully deserves to get on. Let's remember that this is railpictures, not trainpictures, and this photo shows railroading in one of its purest forms.


May I ask why?

-Jacques
That's a fair statement. I can live with that. I felt that pulling back would have taken away from more detail. But I do have photos are that from further back.
PArailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PArailfan View Post
You assume I know nothing about the site. Why, because I don't have 10,654 posts like you? You know what they say about assuming too much. You are too eager jump on a post without being civil. A senior member would behave better, I would hope. From seeing these replies, I realize this site and the users have very little interest or tolerance for MOW photos. There are sites that do, and I am better suited to use those ones from now on. NOW my communication is not likely to ensue, because I'm done here, wasting this website's time, and my own.
I assume you know nothing about the site because, to quote you again, you wrote "a shame that this site has gotten to the level where only "artsy" photos are accepted" which is so contrary to what this site accepts that it is a fair assumption. Well, there is an alternative, to be true, you could have been so mad or irritated that you wrote the first thing that came to mind, regardless of accuracy.

But you are right, I jumped. Sorry about that. BTW, if you were a regular here, you would know that isn't my norm. But no matter, I did jump in this case.

I do wonder why you wrote that phrase. And if you believe it, how that is possible.

BTW, what was the rejection reason? I might guess PAQ.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,740
Default

As I stare at the wedgie laden stream of photos added today (and yesterday, and the day before, and the days before that), I can only think that the definition of 'artistic' must vary from person to person...

Aside from perhaps a wider view, I think it's a fine enough photo.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 08-25-2014 at 12:33 AM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #11
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default

I think he affirmed it was PAQ with the thread title...
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #12
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
I think he affirmed it was PAQ with the thread title...
I missed that.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:06 AM   #13
sd9
Senior Member
 
sd9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PArailfan View Post
You assume I know nothing about the site. Why, because I don't have 10,654 posts like you? You know what they say about assuming too much. You are too eager jump on a post without being civil. A senior member would behave better, I would hope. From seeing these replies, I realize this site and the users have very little interest or tolerance for MOW photos. There are sites that do, and I am better suited to use those ones from now on. NOW my communication is not likely to ensue, because I'm done here, wasting this website's time, and my own.
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:13 AM   #14
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
As I stare at the wedgie laden stream of photos added today (and yesterday, and the day before, and the days before that), I can only think that the definition of 'artistic' must vary from person to person...
That's exactly what I was getting at...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:40 AM   #15
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
As if admin wasn't doing enough to entice patrons to leave...

PArailfan - I can sympathize. You posted a shot similar to others you had seen in the database, not to win a PC, not to make a sale, but simply to help add to the story of railroading being told within the database along side some of the BEST railroad photos on the net. And ya know what? Who's to say "best" is only aesthetics.

Think of this site as "...our favorite railroad photos on the net", instead of "The BEST photos on the net" and the randomness of the screening process will make much more sense.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:57 AM   #16
Ron Flanary
Senior Member
 
Ron Flanary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Big Stone Gap, VA
Posts: 1,327
Default

It's not a really bad shot...but it didn't really turn me on all that much. That's not because of the subject matter, mind you----that part is fine. The contrast is lacking, and maybe I would have composed it a little differently. I can understand why a screener might reject it. It's on the cusp of being acceptable, though.

RP.net accepts shots of this nature all the time. I've found them to be expanding their tastes in acceptability constantly, so that's not a reason why they rejected this.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:52 AM   #17
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PArailfan View Post
You assume I know nothing about the site. Why, because I don't have 10,654 posts like you? You know what they say about assuming too much. You are too eager jump on a post without being civil. A senior member would behave better, I would hope. From seeing these replies, I realize this site and the users have very little interest or tolerance for MOW photos. There are sites that do, and I am better suited to use those ones from now on. NOW my communication is not likely to ensue, because I'm done here, wasting this website's time, and my own.
In my eight (or so years, on this site, I have see Jaunsz give his heart and soul to helping other railfans with their photographs). He spends his time on these forums because he is truly a giving person who wants to help.

As we mature in this world we must learn that our initial reaction to others comments are in fact not based on their comment, but based on our history with other people When a mean person yells, "Boo," we are rightfully scared. When a good person says, "Boo," we should just listen to why they felt it is necessary to say it.

Your disparaging remarks about Janusz demand an apology on your part.

Your insistence that all of us are wrong, are your right, will not help you get more images posted. Make a decision now - do you want to be a correct and nasty person, or a open and kind person?

Last edited by Freericks; 08-25-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:30 AM   #18
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
In my eight (or so years, on this site, I have see Jaunsz give his heart and soul to helping other railfans with their photographs). He spends his time on these forums because he is truly a giving person who wants to help.

As we mature in this world we must learn that our initial reaction to others comments are in fact not based on their comment, but based on our history with other people When a mean person yells, "Boo," we are rightfully scared. When a good person says, "Boo," we should just listen to why they felt it is necessary to say it.

Your disparaging remarks about Janusz demand an apology on your part.

Your insentience that all of us are wrong, are your right, will not help you get more images posted. Make a decision now - do you want to be a correct and nasty person, or a open and kind person?
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #19
MagnumForce
Senior Member
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 602
Default

To the OPs defense, Janunz did kind of jump in very strong. I think both sides overreacted.

Anyway, remember PAQ is not simply how something looks but can also be something they simply don't wish to publish. It's right there in the definition/description.
__________________
-Brent Kneebush
Defiance, Ohio
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #20
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
To the OPs defense, Janunz did kind of jump in very strong. I think both sides overreacted.
Yes, I did, and I said I am sorry previously. I try to avoid it generally, but yesterday I was afflicted with this disease (hat tip to Christopher Blaszczyk, who used to use this as an avatar):

__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #21
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Yes, I did, and I said I am sorry previously. I try to avoid it generally, but yesterday I was afflicted with this disease (hat tip to Christopher Blaszczyk, who used to use this as an avatar):
With over 10,000 posts on this forum, YOU should probably make that your avatar.

__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #22
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,740
Default

How many posts do I have?

Cool

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 08-25-2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: I posted to see how many post I have
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #23
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
With over 10,000 posts on this forum, YOU should probably make that your avatar.
Good one, Jim! Although my posts are usually not of the combative sort.

And you are catching up! Thanks to, in part, your oh-so-important grammatical nit-picks!
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #24
mark woody
Senior Member
 
mark woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mudgee N.S.W. Australia
Posts: 641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
How many posts do I have?

Cool

Loyd L.
Just clicked on your bad shots Loyd, love the old ALCO S2 #113 shots great work.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #25
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark woody View Post
Just clicked on your bad shots Loyd, love the old ALCO S2 #113 shots great work.
Thank you! The railroad hasn't ran since we shot those, either. May be time to add another to RP as well.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.