Old 07-16-2007, 05:33 AM   #26
seank97

No doubt Michigan can have some wonderful shots, what I didn't explain was that my job keeps me from exploring them the way I would like and geographically I am quite limited because of that. (Due to my territory layout) I am quite close to Lansing which affords a few nice locations but time is normally something I do not have in abundance.

Next weekend the PM 1225 is running and I can play a bit with the new digital camera so we shall see what comes from it. I have only had it 2 weeks and one of them my wife has had it on a business trip.

I use the term "Gallery" as to me it is exactly as that with the beauty of having a "Card Catalog" to sort with. Perhaps the word "Library" is more appropriate.

Be well and have a productive and safe week
Old 07-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #27
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank97
No doubt Michigan can have some wonderful shots, what I didn't explain was that my job keeps me from exploring them the way I would like and geographically I am quite limited because of that. (Due to my territory layout) I am quite close to Lansing which affords a few nice locations but time is normally something I do not have in abundance.

Next weekend the PM 1225 is running and I can play a bit with the new digital camera so we shall see what comes from it. I have only had it 2 weeks and one of them my wife has had it on a business trip.
Sean, I may be going on the "chase" with 1225, but I haven't completely decided yet. It's leaving Owosso in the morning and heading due northwest almost the entire trip. If it's clear, it's going to have the sun at its back the entire trip. I don't mind backlit shots once in a while, but if that's all I'm offered, that's a lot of time and gas I don't feel like wasting.

I'm in Lansing often, and I can tell you that, with a little exploration, you can find some good photo spots. Of course, there aren't a whole lot of trains rolling through, as you get the same CSX trains as I do in GR, but at least you've got CN to increase your odds of getting some good shots and variety.

Here's a shot I got near Potter Park a few months ago. This was one I had wanted to get for YEARS...and I finally got around to it:

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 184470
Photograph © Jim Thias

I still have some ideas for shots in that are utilizing the old coaling tower, but I just haven't had the time to get down there.

If you'd like to increase your odds of getting some CSX shots in Lansing, check out this website: www.railroadfan.com In the shoutbox and "Lower Michigan Talk" section, the location of CSX trains on the Grand Rapids and Plymouth subs is posted several times throughout the day (moreso in the shoutbox). Aside from that, you should join the forum! There are a lot of knowledgeable people on that site from all over Michigan.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #28
a231pacific

Sean,

Someone posted a really nice shot taken at Trowbridge not too long ago. Jim's coal dock shot is excellent. You have two RR's to work with (maybe three, does NS still run up the old NYC line from Jackson?). Owosso and Durand are only 30 minutes away and Battle Creek, Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids on the west and Flint, Saginaw & Bay City on the east are only about an hour away.

Within an hour's drive you have three class ones and three or more regionals, some of which are still running ALCO's plus Amtrak. The sun rises a bit after six and sets a bit after 8 in the evening. That's 14 hours minus time spent at work! Of course, if you really want decent shots you may have to give up on sleep!

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #29
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
The sun rises a bit after six and sets a bit after 8 in the evening. That's 14 hours minus time spent at work!
Sunset is currently at 9:20pm, so he's got an hour more.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment, Michael.

By the way, are you in Michigan?? PM 1225 is running from Owosso to Clare this Saturday...tender FIRST.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:47 AM   #30
a231pacific

Hi Jim,

Yeah, I meant a bit after 9....

Didn't there used to be a wye in Clare as part of the diamond?

Naturally this weekend my wife has made plans for us to visit friends up north. Unfortunately that's north as in Mackinaw city!

I'll have to get my next 1225 fix when they run to Grayling in October.
Image © Michael F. Allen
PhotoID: 185554
Photograph © Michael F. Allen

That's a great locomotive and the SRI folks do a good job.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote