Old 06-29-2008, 02:53 AM   #1
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09
Default Selling a Photo?

I've got a new one. Someone just contacted me and wants to purchase a print of my photos. It appears to be a single individual. How should I handle this? For example, what should I charge, etc. Would PayPal work for payment if I need to ship it (i.e. I can't hand it to the person)? Can anyone recommend a good way to ship it?

Here's my current thoughts:
I figure I should also ask how it will be used just as a double-check. I figure I would add a very small un-obnoxious copyright to the corner of the photo. For a price, I would say $10 plus materials.

Thanks a lot!

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
WKUrailfan

I would make the print with a disclaimer and copyright on the back outlining that the photo is for personal use only, and that you reserve all rights. Draw up a contract outlining the same thing (disclaimer, copryright, use, etc) and fax or email it to him. Then I would have him mail you a check with the signed form. Once the check clears, I would send the print.

Anyone have better ideas? Mine seems a bit complicated, but i guys it pays to protect yourself.
WKUrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:18 AM   #3
Joey Bowman

I sell prints quite a bit, here is what I do.

First of all I have set prices that I sell them for, 5x7's $12, 8x10's $20, 8x12's $30, 11x14's $40, then I charge for shipping, $5. I order my prints from Adorama, I have them mailed to me (though you can have them mailed directly to the client), this usually costs $5 shipping fee, plus the cost of a print, any where from $1 to $5 depending on the size. Once I get the print I do this to make sure that everything looks great, then I mail it to them, I mail in cardboard mailers that you can buy at Walmart, this is around a dollar, and shipping is usually a buck 50 regardless where I ship in the US, or Canada.

At adorama you can customize a little bit of text on the back of the photo, mine usually says "Joey Bowman Photo" (15 characters only)

I personally do not worry about what the client is going to do, I do not put any copyright info or water mark on the front, what they do is up to them, hopefully they are all honest and do not reproduce them. If they do reproduce them or "violate" my copyright of the photograph then they will pay the price when judgement day comes for being dishonest.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:19 AM   #4
Joey Bowman

And about payments, paypal would work great. I personally do not have paypal and I probably lose %50 or more of possible clients because of this. I have plenty of people that say "yeah ill send a check tomorrow", and tomorrow never comes in those cases. Paypal would eliminate that problem.

But you need to have a bank account to have paypal, and I personally do not trust banks, so im screwed.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
round_house

I sell a little off my website and I do a lot of shows. When I sell off my website
I do not have Paypal but the customer usually sends me a check. I add a
shipping charge about 3.00 for shipping on a 8x10 print and a little more about
5.00 for a 11x14. I do my own printing and do my shipping at the UPS store.
They also have items you can send it in.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=21721
round_house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

I gave away quite a few prints for a charity thing, and put two lines on the back - the date / location of the shot, and a copyright notification. There's no need to send a contract back and fourth - I'm sure we all purchase access to copyrighted material all of the time, and we never have to sign contracts. Put your name / copyright on the back, and you're set. Paypal would work just fine.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman

First of all I have set prices that I sell them for, 5x7's $12, 8x10's $20, 8x12's $30, 11x14's $40, then I charge for shipping, $5.
Hi Joey,
Just curious, why the $10 difference between an 8x10 & 8x12?

Slopes,
I offer 8x10 or 8x12 for $30. I'd recommend mpix.com or whcc.com for the prints.

I wouldn't put a watermark on your image...they're buying a print, not a proof.

Good luck with your sale.
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
Joey Bowman

I think it fills in the price gap inbetween 8x10 and 11x14, its a smudge bigger as well and costs a little bit more to purchase from my perspective as well.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:22 AM   #9
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman
I think it fills in the price gap inbetween 8x10 and 11x14, its a smudge bigger as well and costs a little bit more to purchase from my perspective as well.
No prob, I was just curious. Everyone has different pricing structures, there's no right or wrong.

Happy selling....
Bill
Old 07-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman
Smile

A pro wont let one go lower $300 for a 11x14 but thats if they have big name. Something like $20 to $30 + shipping will work fine, still worth the time and not to much. After all its just a train shot

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
After all its just a train shot
Ban Richard from the forums! Dump his RP account!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #12
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Ban Richard from the forums! Dump his RP account!
figured that would get someone going.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
A pro wont let one go lower $300 for a 11x14 but thats if they have big name. Something like $20 to $30 + shipping will work fine, still worth the time and not to much. After all its just a train shot
I think you're confusing usage fees with print prices. I sell in galleries & festivals with many professionals, and believe me, no one is selling $300 11x14 prints.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #14
alexramos

I could go on an on about this but $10, plus materials seems quite low for a print, even for an 8x12. It's setting the standard really low for photographers. Don't add a copyright to the corner, it certainly takes away from an image when framed. What I usually do is have a separate piece of paper attached to the back of the print that says the copyright, signature, and info about the image. Get a piece of paper and write down the persons name, contact info, and the photo they are getting so if something came up in the future you know who you sold it to. When you sell more prints add the same info to that piece of paper. Also, don't ever give away an electric copy of your images unless you're getting a lot of money. Anywho, hope this information helps and congrats on selling a print.

Take Care,
Alex Ramos
alexramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #15
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I think you're confusing usage fees with print prices. I sell in galleries & festivals with many professionals, and believe me, no one is selling $300 11x14 prints.
Ok 18X24 for 299.00 fine art print 20 X30 400.00

Old 07-02-2008, 04:37 AM   #16
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

Wow, I do not know if Iím charging too little or ripping the person off.
Depending upon what the customer wants and the price they are willing to pay vary. Iíve sold photos for $30.00 for an 8 x 12 with Costco developing and regular mailing in hard cardboard.
For a 20 x30 print in a companyís visitation area I charge $350 each. This includes Mpix.com developing and shipping to me first and then on to the customer. I have down a few photo and framed sales but I prefer just sending the print to the person or company. I never deal with pay-pal, and only after the check clears do I do any work.
For a TV commercial to be shown at McCarran Airport the photos were actually copied from RP and cleaned up and displayed on the big screens in the baggage area the 18 second video was a $100 a photo and another $300 for the five days when they decided to use the commercial in their home area the price was renegotiated for six months and 4 figures. I never send digital images to a buyer.
I track every photo sold, by title, date of photo, date sold and to whom and the price in MS access and I back up the file to a CD once a month.
Some of my non-rail photos I number and keep restricted raising the price and limiting the number developed. Iím surprised by the prices people are willing to pay. This all started out as hobby, now it part hobby and part business and frankly regardless of my complaints of this site some days and Chris K can support that I made many. I actually owe it all to RP. They show case my photos and my customers have varied from fans to companies. My photos arenít the top views but people like specific ones and with link to my pbase site I get more hits as well. Thank RP!!!

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Last edited by Ken Carr; 07-02-2008 at 05:04 AM.
Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #17
Slopes09

Thanks for the help guys!

New question:
I'm going to go with Adorama on your recommendations, especially after getting the price from the Better Image near me. The 10"x15" photo will be displayed in a room being decorated for a train enthusiast. Adorama has several choices of paper for this size:
Kodak Royal Glossy - Durable, heavy weight and vibrant colors. Best for daily snapshots.
Kodak Professional Endura Supra Matte - Soft, smooth, realistic flesh-tone reproduction, intense blacks, Enhanced detail from highlights to shadows. Best for weddings, portraiture, sport.
Kodak Professional Endura Supra Lustre - Soft, smooth, realistic flesh-tone reproduction, intense blacks, enhanced detail from highlights to shadows. Best for weddings, portraiture, sport.
Which should I recommend to the client for this purpose? I'm assuming one of the latter 2, since they appear to be fancy words Matte and Glossy, respectively.

Also, when I mail it in the mailer, what should I cover the print with to ensure it doesn't scratch?
Alternatively, should I just simplify this and have it shipped to the client's location? I'm rather divided on which would be the best course of action.

Thanks again!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #18
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Everyone has their own take on selling photos and how much they charge.

My philosophy is "How do I feel about the photo?" and "How unique is it?"

If its something that is hard or impossible to duplicate and I'm confident I'm the only place they can purchase a copy than the price goes up. If its a roster that anyone can get its usually just enough to cover S&H. Usually photos I feel strongly about I won't sell for less than $50 (8x10) for a print with a digital signature or personal signature depending on what the person wants. I'll never sell a photo without some kind of signature because of the threat of scanning and reprinting. Sure they can just scan it and clone it out but if they are willing to put in that much work then so be it.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #19
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
Also, when I mail it in the mailer, what should I cover the print with to ensure it doesn't scratch?
A light foam cut to the shape of the photo which should be supported by cardboard should work. The good thing about using MPIX or Adorama is that they do all the work and sometimes throw in extra packing which I put away for future use.
Quote:
Alternatively, should I just simplify this and have it shipped to the client's location?
Always look at the final product yourself rather than trusting it is flawless. Remember its your name on it or associated with it so a bad print could equal a bad rep. when it comes to selling photos.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #20
milwman
I shoot what I like

A fine art Print is a standard, it is mounted and printed on the best you can get, is tested to last 100 years or longer, the glue and board the shipping now you prints your doing out of a tube wont got that high. thats what i got from some of the websites i scanned.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #21
Slopes09

And from the ashes, let this thread be resurrected!

Ok, new exciting situation: an advertising agency working for a large, national corporation, "would like to license the image for Unlimited Use / Unlimited Time."

What type of price should I expect ask/for? We'll say it's a very good artistic type shot, though a shot that could theoretically be duplicated.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #22
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

Quote:

Ok, new exciting situation: an advertising agency working for a large, national corporation, "would like to license the image for Unlimited Use / Unlimited Time."

What type of price should I expect ask/for? We'll say it's a very good artistic type shot, though a shot that could theoretically be duplicated.

Show us the picture? That might help...
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:04 PM   #23
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:

$5,000, nothing less.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #24
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rails Photography
Show us the picture? That might help...
He probably doesn't want to since he said it's easy to duplicate and doesn't want someone to snake a sale.

Besides, how does seeing the photo help in determining how much to charge?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #25
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
He probably doesn't want to since he said it's easy to duplicate and doesn't want someone to snake a sale.

Besides, how does seeing the photo help in determining how much to charge?

If it's a photo like a roster, it should not cost as much as, say a beautiful pan shot or some other photo of the likes...

Quote:

That makes complete sense.

Oh, and Mike; you shoot Pentax, so you will have to reduce the cost by, oh, say, $300. Just kidding.
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote