Old 08-31-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09
Default Everpresent Cropping and High Sun Problems

Well, this one needs to be re-cropped. Lightroom tells me that the engine is indeed on the intersection of thirds. Is the empty space in the upper left what is hurting this shot?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1095170161

Also, this one was rejected for high sun, which raises the ever present debate of "How much high sun is bad?"
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1209317224
In this case, I don't see the high sun as having any affect on the photo. The colors aren't washed out, the angle isn't an overused one (IMHO), almost all the detail on the pilot is still visible, and it's not another GE. This one was rejected on appeal as well, so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks a lot!

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

On the first one, 2/3rds of the image is empty sky. You wanted to go the opposite way (I understand you're following the lines, but it doesn't really work, as it results in an essentially empty image).

On the second one, I don't think there's much that can be done, simply because of the shadows on the pilot and in the area around the trucks. Doesn't bother me personally one iota, but I know I've had similar shots rejected.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
JRMDC

First: to me it isnt so much the empty space upper left as it is the left/right balance. By putting the engine on the rule of thirds vertical line, you end up with the left side blank and the right side full to the edge with code line stuff, so it feels out of balance.

You have a sensor dust spot, halfway from the engine to the top, just left of a line that would go straight up from the upper left corner of the nose.

Second: geesh, you NEED that high sun to both light up the side of the train and to prevent the tie pile from casting a long shadow! At least at that time of day; perhaps you can go there later in the day and the sun will swing around a bit.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
jnohallman

Maybe the issue with the second pic is the ties. Every pic I've tried to submit that has ties waiting to be replaced has been rejected . . . Seriously, I don't know what the issue is there . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #5
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman
Maybe the issue with the second pic is the ties. Every pic I've tried to submit that has ties waiting to be replaced has been rejected . . . Seriously, I don't know what the issue is there . . .

Jon
You must be illiterate. The 'issue' is clearly stated in the rejection reason.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #6
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
You must be illiterate. The 'issue' is clearly stated in the rejection reason.
Geez, doesn't anyone around here have a sense of humor?

Jon

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:00 AM   #7
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:

Jon
Sorry that I didn't interpret this as a joke.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:38 AM   #8
Santa Fe buff-ATSF-BNSF

Now the first one seemed okay...

But several things can be fixed so your very nice sepia tone will make the 'Cut' :

• I know you wanted to include the telephone wires on the top, but to delete that empty space, crop it down so you can see the entire pole, but not all those wires. So the top of the pole is entirely in it, but about 1/4 inch from the edge.

• To make it more 'balanced', crop it down about 1/2 inch from the locomotives hand rail that is the farthest pointing out part. I think the bottom area is pretty good, but to be safe, I would crop it about 3/4 inch up, if you don't want to, okay.

• The second one was pretty good, but the over hang shadows the locomotive's windows. Plus, the ties may just be the problem. Try to move over about 1-2 feet for your second shoot. (Or just crop it?) Shooting the picture about 1-2 hours before that may change it too what your looking for, but again, I don't know your directions so that may be come the fall of the picture. Over all, I think the lighting made it more clear. But still, the shadow over the windows, the trains casing shadow, it's all that proves that Rail Pictures.net is very picky.

Good luck with your photos, and may the future ones be much more better, and accepted.
The Rails are silent... The air is crisp. The sun is beyond the mountains, yet giving it's glow into the midnight blue sky. Deer scamper in the brush, the rails are two sets, both surrounded by green, with mountains as a border. A light glows the rails...

CLICK!

It's captured forever. And is here, for all to enjoy, the convoy of moments, that rails meet nature- RailPictures.net.
Santa Fe buff-ATSF-BNSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:41 AM   #9
Joe the Photog

On the first one, I would crop some off of the top, bottom and the left of the shot. Keep the poles onthe right and kill some of the dead space all the way around. It's a nice shot other than all of the space. I'm not a big fan of the second shot and it's actually not the high sun that I see as the problem. It actually is the ties for me.

Joe
Old 09-01-2008, 03:29 AM   #10
JRMDC

Correction: (at least?) three sensor dust spots are visible in the first image.

I'm a fan of the wires and I would encourage you to crop as little as possible from the top and certainly not as tight as "longname" suggests, 1/4", too tight!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:47 AM   #11
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Found a fourth sensor/lens dust spot. Damn those things are annoying! Would you believe I just cleaned the sensor and lens a week or two ago? I don't know how the stuff keeps getting into there. I try to be as careful as possible too.

Anyway, I don't know about the tie shot, but I won't be re-doing the shot, due to my going back to college tomorrow, and I have a higher priority shot to shoot tomorrow morning. I cared about the shot more for the subject than the actual shot itself. It's the first time I've been able to catch the Lockport Switcher despite the fact that I've lived there all my life.

For the first shot, I'll definitely narrow down the cropping. I've got plenty of room on the bottom, as I narrowed the ratio down to 4:5 as as opposed to the original 2:3 ratio. I'll definitely keep the defunct code lines in the shot completely, as they add interest to the shot. Crop tighter though, I will.

Thanks!

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:15 AM   #12
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I'm not a big fan of the second shot and it's actually not the high sun that I see as the problem. It actually is the ties for me.

Joe
Man, I knew ties were a problem around here!
(That's a joke, BTW)

Jon

Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
Well, this one needs to be re-cropped. Lightroom tells me that the engine is indeed on the intersection of thirds. Is the empty space in the upper left what is hurting this shot?
I never do go by the cropping grid in Lightroom, I find its pretty inaccurate.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
Santa Fe buff-ATSF-BNSF

Post Possibly 1 down, 1 to go?

Quote:
Man, I knew ties were a problem around here!
(That's a joke, BTW)

Jon
It's a lot easier to tell if you use the laugh: and not the razz:

I believe the topic on the first sepia toned BNSF picture is pretty much well discussed used. Which means that anyone may add something you think is needed, or should be adjusted. But I think there may be some more information to be discussed. Simply removing the ties MAY help, but it think it's more on something else. I rather let someone who has a bit more knowledge discuss anything they may want to add.
The Rails are silent... The air is crisp. The sun is beyond the mountains, yet giving it's glow into the midnight blue sky. Deer scamper in the brush, the rails are two sets, both surrounded by green, with mountains as a border. A light glows the rails...

CLICK!

It's captured forever. And is here, for all to enjoy, the convoy of moments, that rails meet nature- RailPictures.net.

Last edited by Santa Fe buff-ATSF-BNSF; 09-01-2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Sometimes even previewing can't do much to stop mistakes...
Santa Fe buff-ATSF-BNSF is offline   Reply With Quote