Old 06-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09
Unhappy Camera Repair Estimates

Well, itís the standard story: my camera took a trip to the pavement yesterday. In the grandest of ironies, it was well I was standing still (considering some of the things Iíve done while holding it, i.e. sprinting, hurdling, etc.). So, the mirror appears to be out of alignment and the camera doesnít turn on anymore. When I put batteries in, the mirror goes up and down rapidly for about ten seconds before stopping.

So, my question isÖanyone have a similar experiences and how much did they cost to repair? Iím mostly interested in the repair cost, as it will be my deciding factor as to whether or no I repair this one or buy a new one. Even vaguely similar situations and different manufacturers would be helpful to me. All the person on the phone could tell me was "over $100."

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09 View Post
Well, itís the standard story: my camera took a trip to the pavement yesterday. In the grandest of ironies, it was well I was standing still (considering some of the things Iíve done while holding it, i.e. sprinting, hurdling, etc.). So, the mirror appears to be out of alignment and the camera doesnít turn on anymore. When I put batteries in, the mirror goes up and down rapidly for about ten seconds before stopping.

So, my question isÖanyone have a similar experiences and how much did they cost to repair? Iím mostly interested in the repair cost, as it will be my deciding factor as to whether or no I repair this one or buy a new one. Even vaguely similar situations and different manufacturers would be helpful to me. All the person on the phone could tell me was "over $100."

Sounds very similar to what happened with my old Canon Elan 2E, minus the fall to the ground part and subsequent damage. But it had some sort of electrical problem that caused the mirror to flutter like you described, and I got a low battery error with a brand new battery. Sent it in. It was $180 just for them to look at it. They cleaned the camera and electric systems but couldn't find any specific problems, and sent it back. Cost me about $210 overall. Mirror didn't flutter anymore, but it still had problems. I switched to digital a couple months later. Good luck fixing it. I'd almost recommend buying a new or used body if the price is right. Then repair your current one and sell it. Repairs are expensive as a rule.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Initial cost depends on how you get it to the pentax service center, and from there it'll be a few hundred dollars...
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
wongm

How old is the body, and have you been considering upgrading? It might just be better to bight the bullet and buy a new one.
wongm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
Slopes09

The body is almost two years old. It's a Pentax K100D, 6 megapixels.

After shipping, I was told the estimate is free, and that regardless, they would ship it back for free.

I'm looking at the K2000 as a replacement. I can get a body for $410 with free shipping right now. I should add that I'm in college, though I do have a little money at the moment.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #6
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

Sounds like the best plan is to get the new body.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
sd9

Well my Canon xti decided to quit working for no apparent reason, I didn't drop it or anything like you described, it wouldn't focus and the shutter wouldn't activate, I called and they said to send it in for an estimate, BTW it was a month and half out of warranty, long story short, it cost me $250 for the repair, ( I told them to go ahead and fix it,) they said it was a stuck sensor of some sort, so if a stuck sensor cost that much what would repair on yours be?
EEEKKK
it only took a week or so to get it back, but in the mean time I went and got a 40D (I needed some excuse)

Bill
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
SCAMARGO

I shoot with a k100dsuper, man i didnt know you have a pentax. I would look on ebay for just a body you can find them for like $200 or lower. Well if you come across some cash just go for the K200. Have you look at the K2000? Also i think the K20 and K200 are going to be replace this fall. So look for prices to drop and new K???. The new one is the K7 its like $1300.

Last edited by SCAMARGO; 06-16-2009 at 10:56 PM.
SCAMARGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:02 AM   #9
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
I'm looking at the K2000 as a replacement. I can get a body for $410 with free shipping right now. I should add that I'm in college, though I do have a little money at the moment.
I'd avoid the K2000/K-M and get the K200D instead if possible. Take a look at the following review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk2000/page34.asp

If you like having a focusing point visible in the viewfinder and an orientation sensor, you're out of luck with the K2000. Also, with either camera, it looks like you're going to need to shoot in RAW if you want the best image quality possible.

Body only K200D goes for ~$500 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-10-2MP-...5286724&sr=1-2

~Carl Becker
Old 06-18-2009, 03:53 AM   #10
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
so if a stuck sensor cost that much what would repair on yours be?

Bill
They mostly have one price to do all there work as it takes as long to get to that sensor as a major rebuild and if it can't be fixed for that its totaled or junk.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
WisconsinCentral

Mike, although I had problems with my K200D, It was one great camera. I liked it more than my Nikon D60 I have now. I'd go for the body, since you want to stay Pentax. I have my K200D sitting as backup right now, I never really did see If its 100% fixed, but I believe its AOK now.

Alec
Old 06-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #12
Carl Becker

Alec,

Was your K200D's JPEG output as bad as many reviewers say it is?

~Carl Becker
Old 06-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #13
Slopes09

I actually had purchased the K2000 by Monday night. I always shoot RAW for anything that matters. Since I purchased a P&S a while back for use at other occasions, chances are, I'll be shooting almost exclusively RAW with it. I chose it so that I could afford a new telephoto lens as well (mine hasn't produced quality images since falling in a drainage ditch back in August).

Unfortunately, the one thing they either didn't mention or I didn't see in the review was the lack of a cable release receptacle. That might have convinced me to buy the K200D. But...since I already have it, it just means I'm going to have to buy an IR Remote and be happy with it.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
SCAMARGO

Well i have three lens i was lookin to sell i have a 28-90mm 3.5-5.6 quantaray, 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 pentax, and a 70-200mm 4.5-5.6 pentax, I am from Joliet you camn message me back.
SCAMARGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
WisconsinCentral

Carl, since It was my first DSLR I really just thought it was amazing all over. I never really thought the JPEG shots were poor at all, but like I said that may be because I was biased.

Alec
Old 06-20-2009, 02:26 AM   #16
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09 View Post
I actually had purchased the K2000 by Monday night. I always shoot RAW for anything that matters. Since I purchased a P&S a while back for use at other occasions, chances are, I'll be shooting almost exclusively RAW with it.
On that note I think it's safe to say that as long as you're okay with the focus point not showing, you'll be happy with it, as that and the JPEG output were the only real "issues" brought up about it. You are also getting faster continuous shooting than the K200D, and I'm sure there are probably a few other new tweaks as well. Good luck.

~Carl Becker