Old 10-20-2015, 01:04 AM   #276
Joe the Photog

The power was noit involved in the sale. Belongs or belonged to the Pippins. I believe the 958 has been scrapped, too
Old 10-20-2015, 04:13 AM   #277
ShortlinesUSA

Thank you for the info, Joe.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:29 PM   #278
TheOldMan

On the way to work today, made a detour through Red Hill South Cariolina, first stop on the railroad after crossing the Waccamaw river.

Not surprised to see a lot of RJ Corman trucks on both sides of Depot Road, and a maintenence vehicle at the turnout into the New South Forest freight loading yard, where that one high bulkhead flatcar remains with a (no tresspassing?) sign on the track in front of it, which will soon undoubtedly be removed.

The work crew was doing a tie replacement.

The Conway Riverfront is still closed due to the flooding, so I couldn't get a view of whether the drawbridge is locked across the river because of the flooding or not.

Could have walked to the top of the high rise bridge to see, and take a photo, but it is dangerous for an TheOldMan to be doing such things.

-John Fogherty, Green River
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #279
TheOldMan

yesterday, made another detour thru Conway on the way to work.

The RJ Corman trucks, maintenence machine and work crews were gone from Red Hill.

I still did not drive my car down Depot road. At the bottom of the high rise bridge, the road closed sign had moved to the side, and I didn't notice any water on the road, but I still didn't want to drive my car into Depot Road from that entrance.

Did drive down Depot road from the other entrance, and the road closed signs were still in place beforre the turn into SC 90.

Most of the Conway River Walk was open, so I walked down there. The drawbridge was open for the boats.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #280
TheOldMan

Default u-tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The power was noit involved in the sale. Belongs or belonged to the Pippins. I believe the 958 has been scrapped, too
Joe, I did look at your video of a railroad worker for a Carolina railroad, telling you that your following the trains around and taking photos, made the train crews feel uncomfortable.

It was very amusing to watch.

I'm hoping to get a photo of the pretty red RJ Corman locomotive on US 501, hopefully before the graffitti artists get to it.

I"m also hoping that they never get to it, like they did to the operator's house at the Pine Island Drawbridge.

But, everyone I have mentioned the locomotive to has been thinking the same thing, and mentioning it before I do.

I've felt like even writing this might Tempt The Fates, but I'm sure that the officials of RJ Corman have been and are voicing the same concern among themselves.

As I remember from my driving on US 501, the night time lighting at that location is good, so maybe that will prevent any vandalsim.

Last edited by TheOldMan; 11-03-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #281
ShortlinesUSA

I wasn't aware RJ Corman had brought in any motive power yet. Does this locomotive you mention on US 501 appear to be something active that RJ Corman will use once the line is reopened, or is it one of their "billboard" locomotives placed to draw attention to their business? It is not uncommon for RJ Corman properties to have static display rolling stock of some sort along their operations (such as freight cars, cabooses, or locomotives).

Even if you don't get a photo, providing a locomotive number would be very helpful. Thank you again for your continued updates on the line!

Old 11-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #282
TheOldMan

Default I have been told

I have been told by people who are in contact with Corman officials that it is a non operating Billboard locomotive.

Today is cloudy and not the best time to take photos, but I might do so any way, on my way to work.

It might take me several attemptsto get a good photo.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #283
TheOldMan

Default Yesterday

Yesterday wasn't exactly the best weather to take the photo below.

The number of the locomotive is 1701, in small numerals below the window on the cab.

Took the photo with a vivitar camera, on the high res setting, but depth of field on that camera limits it to closer up.

When the weather is better, will get a better, closer in photo.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #284
ShortlinesUSA

This is great info, Sir! Also a testament to some of these newer "green" locomotives if something this new is a display item already.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:56 PM   #285
TheOldMan

Mike, I will be takng some more, closer up shots from that location, when the sunlight is bright, and being closer in will of course bring out better details.

I greatly dread driving my car on US 501. Can't say whether it or depot road is more dreadful.

I wanted to scout the location on Wednesday. The photo was taken at Waffle House restaurant.

No 1701 (assuming my Old Man's eyesight is correct), is on the main track. The building behind it had a siding that was taken up probably in early 1983 or 1984, at that time, the Coffee Butler warehouse.

I think that the business there now is a hot water heater manufacturer that at one time was a railroad user in Gurley South Carolina.

If I ever find the time, I will check my own notebooks and other sources.

Glad you found my post useful!

Old 11-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #286
TheOldMan

Default Link to

Here is a link to a Sun-News story on #1701.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/new...e41572854.html

Old 12-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #287
TheOldMan

I've just viewed the video of the Horry County Transportation Committe of October 22 of this year.

There are some details on the former Air Force Base spur track right of way, which the county attorney believes is now lost, and also on both the Waccamaw River and Pine Island Drawbridges, with dollar figures.

I'll post a transcript.

I really believe that if the Pine Island Drawbridge is repaired and reopened, that it will need very good security to prevent a repeat of the vandalism and thefts of the past.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #288
TheOldMan

Default Transportation Committee Transcript

From the minutes of the Horry County Transportation Committee meeting of September 22, of this year.

RAILROAD MATTERS :

Update (Arrigo Carotti/Steve Gosnell):
Mr. Gosnell said the leases had been signed for our 14 miles.
The railroad extends from 905 thoughout the county. Mr. Eldridge said they had signed the maintenance agreement for our tracks.

There was a lease agreement and a maintenance agreement and both have been done. Mr. Gosnell said they leased 11 miles up to the Pine Island Bridge. On the maintenance agreement, they agreed to maintain the section in Myrtle Beach. 14 mile run from just below 905 to the beach down to where the old train station is.

Chairman Loftus asked him about a right-of-way that goes to the airport. There used to be a track to the airport. Mr. Gosnell said they had checked that a while back and it cuts through where the ice plant is. It was never owned by the county. There was a railroad there and they abandoned it when they closed it. They couldn't find any ownership for the county. He didn't think it existed any more as a right-of-way.

Chairman Loftus said we needed to give CCU notice when they start making runs to MetGlass and so forth so that they will start stopping at the railroad tracks on University Boulevard. They don't now.

Mr. Gosnell said they are mowing the right-of-way on our section and doing vegetation contol. It looked better than it had ever looked.

One of the conditions that we had with Corman was we had to get the bridges operational so we spent some money. He presented a list of some of the work that had been done to the Waccamaw turn style bridge located in Conway. Public Works managed the contract work with the electrician to get it all done. They finished it and turned the keys over to Corman on the 15th. They spent about $43 in electrical repairs where they had stripped the copper out of most of the lnes. They had some hydraulic maintenance they had to do with about $12,000 in labor.

Mr. Vaught asked about the Pine Island Bridge. They ripped all the copper out. Mr. Gosnell said it was much worse. It would take $250,000 to get it going and $150,000 for the electrical. It was hard to secure it because it is right on the waterway. To try to secure access from the waterway had been difficult. The last time they broke in they came in from the waterway side. They even boarded up the windows and doors.

They ripped one of the doors off and the whole control house was stripped. Mr Vaught asked if he had any idea when they would start running it. Mr. Gosnell said they still had some bridge work to do to get it to FRA standards before they could run anything. Mr. Eldridge said maybe the first of the year. Mr. Gosnell said they are negotiating with potential customers along the line. Mr. Eldridge said the mile limit at the crossing will be 10 mph.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #289
TheOldMan

Default Today At Red Hill

Made my business trip to Carolina Forest via Hwys 90 & 501, taking the 90 exit ramp onto Depot Road. washout beside track under 90 overpass bridge stil not filled in. Lock on switchstand at New South was very shiny, obviously new.

At the Carolina Forest grade crossing, there doesn't seem to have been any recent brush cutting, altho the County apparently did do some brush cutting on occasion over the past few years.

I would think that before that 30 car train of hopper cars is moved out of the crushed stone facility, that some more brush cutting might be done from Carolina Forest and beyond. Or, would it really be necessary?

Old 01-16-2016, 12:30 AM   #290
Joe the Photog

Apparently I was wrong on the power. A few people closer in location to the railroad say Corman bought three of the units and expects to send them off for rebuild eventually
Old 02-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #291
ShortlinesUSA

Has anyone seen or heard of any recent work RJ Corman has been performing? I've checked with several industry contacts in the region, and every one of them indicates no one has heard anything from Corman on restarting operations, or seen any motive power sent that way.

Although it's hard to convince on a cold day like this, but spring is fast approaching. It would seem restoration activities should be quite busy.

Any updates are greatly appreciated!

Old 02-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #292
TheOldMan

Latest word is that the first train into Horry County will be on March 1.

And, a lot of railfans are planning to greet it.

Also, Mr. Bill Henderson of RJ Corman recently spoke to the Conway City Council, and said that Santee Cooper had reconsidered contractinig with a trucking company to move the ashes out of its now closed plant in Conway, and Corman was negotiating with Santee Cooper to move it out by rail, which would take only two years, rather than 10 years.

The work on the track and bridge repair is also progressing very well, also.

Mr. Henderson was asking the Conway City Council to sponsor? his company's application for TIGER grants, to increase the speeds the trains can travel, from the mininum of 10 mph which will be in effect when the railroad reopens.

As we all know, TIGER grants are very competitive as we know from B&A dba Carolina Southern's experience being turned down twice.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #293
ShortlinesUSA

Excellent update, Sir! Any reports/photos of that inaugural run are certainly welcomed and appreciated here.

I did hear the depot in Chadbourn has been spruced up a bit, possibly even with a new metal roof. It is now reportedly decked out in Corman gray with red trim.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:14 PM   #294
TheOldMan

Default Thanks for the post

Thanks for the post, ShortlinesUSA

I go by Grand Strand Western fairly regularly, and also keep up with developments on Facebook.

Been thinking about what the work for the train crews will be on the first crossing of the Waccamaw River, assuming the March 1st date does still stand.

New South Forest, which I think might be now called Canfor, has one empty bulkhead flat car.

I suppose it could be loaded with an outgoing shipment for the tran, and/or some more emplty flat cars might be coming in for their future out shipments.

Metglas, at the Atlantic Center for Business & Industry near Coastal Carolina Uni, builds electrical transformers.

I have seen a video of an empty bulkhead flatcar being pushed into their plant east of the river. So I suppose they do ship out, as well as shipping materials in.

They might need materials and empty cars to ship out in.

It might be possible that Lowes, at that same location might be shipping lumber in.

And, that one tank car at Coastal BioDeisel, which as far as I know has gone out of business, will probably need to be moved out at some time.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:41 PM   #295
Joe the Photog

I'm hearing it will be middle of March now for start up, but also hearing a ribbon cutting ceremony will take place March 30th. I don't know if that means start up will be then or not. I've covered ribbon cuttings that take place after a business opens before.

A Corman GP38 is at CSX in Florence waiting for delivery to Mullins. The CSX interchange there has not been open yet
Old 03-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #296
ShortlinesUSA

This is seeming like a much more doable timeframe, Joe. Thank you for the update.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #297
TheOldMan

So far no change on the Ribbon Cutting in Loris, SC on March 30, at 10:00 AM.

If there are any changes, I'll report them here.

Anyone from the board planning to be there?

I'm hoping to meet some, or a lot of my internet friends there, if I am not hindered in some unexpected way from getting to the ribbon cutting.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:26 PM   #298
ShortlinesUSA

I would love to make it, but will be away with my family on spring break. I will definitely let you know in advance when I make it up there on a visit with my family in Charleston, tentatively sometime this summer.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #299
ShortlinesUSA

Whether some of the CALA power was bought or not, RJ Corman has sent two of its GP38s to start up the Carolina Lines. Looks like we are close to a go!

Old 03-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #300
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
Whether some of the CALA power was bought or not, RJ Corman has sent two of its GP38s to start up the Carolina Lines. Looks like we are close to a go!
I passed through Chadbourn on the way home from Myrtle Beach yesterday. I had a carload of family, so I didn't stop, but one of the Corman GP38's was by the depot, and the long string of box cars that had been south of town was gone.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote