Old 10-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
StL-rail

Send a message via AIM to StL-rail Send a message via MSN to StL-rail Send a message via Yahoo to StL-rail
Default Thoughts?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...67&key=7767642

Thoughts?

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

-Canadian Pacific Conductor
-Union Pacific Conductor
-RRC Switchman
StL-rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
KevinM

Yes, it looks overexposed to me. Anytime a clear sky goes from being distinctly blue to that super-light blue (or worse), that's a good clue that you're shooting too bright. In this case, it looks to be off by 1/3rd to perhaps 1/2 stop and from a raw file, that should be easily correctable.

I don't think I can help with cropping as you more or less cropped it the way I would. The locomotive appears to be in the lower-left ROT position. I can say that years ago, I did have a similarly composed image rejected several times, and I finally just gave up on it. It looked ROT to me, I couldn't read the screener's mind and the screeners don't usually communicate with contributors, so there was not much point in continuing. If you like this crop, put it on Flickr. Continuing to play guessing games and going round and round with the screeners is just not a productive use of your time or theirs.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
Grewup on the CW

Any shots with the loco closer to the signals? If so that should take care of the composition rejection if you are wanting to included them in your shots. Over exposed can be adjusted of editing program.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #4
StL-rail

Send a message via AIM to StL-rail Send a message via MSN to StL-rail Send a message via Yahoo to StL-rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Any shots with the loco closer to the signals? If so that should take care of the composition rejection if you are wanting to included them in your shots. Over exposed can be adjusted of editing program.
I was hoping to get a closer shot, but the shadows would have ruined it. This is as good as it gets at this spot, this time of year. I might try adjusting the exposure, see what that gets me...

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

-Canadian Pacific Conductor
-Union Pacific Conductor
-RRC Switchman
StL-rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #5
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by StL-rail View Post
I was hoping to get a closer shot, but the shadows would have ruined it. This is as good as it gets at this spot, this time of year. I might try adjusting the exposure, see what that gets me...
And you would have had a merge with the low-hanging branches on the left. Compositionally, I like it as-is, and I don't see the screener's issue. If you process in lightroom, you might try leaving the overall exposure alone and knock down the whites and highlights if you don't want to darken the trees.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:17 AM   #6
troy12n

I'm going to throw out the technical issues of the shot and just say it's not a very photogenic location. At all. Why do you want it?

All the shadows, powerlines, etc.

Yeah, it's an Alco, but you can't find a better place to shoot it?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:51 AM   #7
Joe the Photog

Not just overexposed, but sixxling. Also, looking at the rails, I don't see why you couldn't have let the train get up almost to the switch almost to the siding.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
RobJor

I'd just reduce the exposure as mentioned and just trim a bit off left and note in to screeners, changes made, Although I can see other rejection coming. I'd think a closer shot you would have the power lines coming out the top the engine, a rejection I have received.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote