Old 10-31-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville
Default A life lost for no reason at all.

http://kdka.com/westmoreland/Derry.t...2.1282354.html

The child did not deserve this. An innocent victim of someone elses stupid decision.

and of course people say "something needs to be done."

Two words - Common Sense.

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

I heard this last night with the news on in the background. I had only heard then that "All they (the news) knew at this time, was that the coroner has been called." I hadn't turned the tube on since.

Not to wish anything on anyone, but I thought to myself about hoping it was for the mother vs. the baby. I guess they both lost. Not that the train crew was at fault in any way, but I know what it is like when you can't save a baby first-hand. IT SUCKS. I can't imagine being part of a tragedy like that. The train crew are victims of this tragedy too.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 251315
Photograph © Ben Sutton

It is interesting that there is no easy way to get from one side of town to the other. The one road bridge is a PITA to get onto in terms of foot traffic. On the aerial, you can actually see where the "crossings" all the pedestrians use are: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...0297&encType=1 Are foot bridges really that expensive that a town can't 'splurge' on one to save lives?!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
dejv

No wonder that people cross tracks at such places. Have a look here. There are only two ways how to get from the street to the right to the rest of town: down the narrow road with heavy traffic or accross the tracks.

Quote:
Are foot bridges really that expensive that a town can't 'splurge' on one to save lives?!
If accompanied with fences, it could do its job. Maybe a subway could be better just because people have to overcome only 1/2-2/3 of height difference compared to a footbridge.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
dejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:45 AM   #5
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
Image © Ben Sutton
Photograph © Ben Sutton

It is interesting that there is no easy way to get from one side of town to the other. The one road bridge is a PITA to get onto in terms of foot traffic. On the aerial, you can actually see where the "crossings" all the pedestrians use are: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...0297&encType=1 Are foot bridges really that expensive that a town can't 'splurge' on one to save lives?!
It is very sad that some are ignorant to the fact (Not a bad thing). The cost of construction is astronomical for this stuff!! Hell, its three quarter of a million for a (very basic, without other intersections) "four quadrant" gate system in "FRA Quiet Zones". The typical setup for just flashers at a crossing is a hundred grand!! Now, this case, fencing, multiple overhead ped crossings and police montoring.... Priceless!! Literally!! It would seem a simple case of common sense, however, tell that to the train crew whom had a frontline view of this incident and gets to remember that every night before bed.

Last edited by TheRoadForeman; 11-02-2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: TMI
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #6
MNJRR

Send a message via AIM to MNJRR Send a message via MSN to MNJRR

I am always amazed about how much common sense people lack when it comes to the railroad. Its sad at the number of innocent lives that are lost because of people making stupid decisions or just trying to save time, and saying something needs to be done is quite dumb, yes something needs to be done, about the people who are missing half a brain and walk out onto the tracks, i see this alot while railfanning. I've watched a young couple get on the tracks and walk right down the middle of them for about a half mile, it's just mind boggleing about the number of people who do stupid things like this and it's sad that they end up paying for it with their lives and sometimes cost others their life too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_MmdNOAJE perfect example of an engineer's worst nightmare and peoples' stupidest decisions
MNJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
JWH

Unfortunately, the mere presence of a pedestrian overpass will not dissuade them from crossing tracks. In Burlington ON, a girl was hit mere yards from the stairs to the overpass. Too inconvenient to have to climb up the stairs. What does that say when a mother (or father) with a stroller? In Port Credit at the bridge, the railway regularly repairs the fences and no sooner are they gone, when the holes reappear. Do I pity them? Not a chance! I do pity the crew who in my estimation are the "Silent Victims".
JWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
Unfortunately, the mere presence of a pedestrian overpass will not dissuade them from crossing tracks.
Or an interstate. Here in Columbia, SC, about ten years ago, there was a big problem with residents from one apartment complex going to see friends, family or whatever at a neighboring complex. To get there on foot, there was a problem. You either had to walk a 1/2 mile to the next road with an over pass or you had to cross an interstate where the speed limit was 60 m.p.h. (Meaning that people typically go 75 through there.)

So the city came out and built this really expensive ped. bridge which, in truth, was a little gawdy in comparision to the actual apartmetn complexes they were built for. (Probably worth twice as much as them combined.) I don't know if I've ever seen anyone using the pedestrian crossing, but I still see them running across four lanes of interstate traffic all the time.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:19 AM   #9
lock4244

Stop. Look. Live.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
Image © Ben Sutton
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Why can't they just make more pedestrian grade crossings? Hell, every street corner has one. What's the difference? You can get hit by a car a LOT easier than by a train, yet people don't think twice about countless street crossings in cities.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote