Old 11-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy
Default CSX Ohio River Sub (WV) Question

Hi all,

I'm trying to plan a trip back east either later this year or early next. I've always wanted to railfan the CSX Ohio River sub (Huntington-Wheeling, WV), especially the areas around Parkersburg, St. Marys, etc.

What is traffic like on that line these days? I used to spend quite a bit of time in PKB when I lived back east, and remember the line being pretty lightly used back then.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Chris,

I just returned from a trip to the CSX Ohio River Subdivision back last month. We mainly focused on trackage between Parkersburg and New Martinsville (Brooklyn Junction). This line has numerous places to catch trains, but traffic is scarce.

We spent nearly 18 hours at New Martinsville (and areas nearby including Sistersville, St. Marys, Paden City, etc.) and saw a total of 4 trains, two of which ran during the day. The two daylight trains were locals. The first daylight local departed New Martinsville (Brooklyn Yard) and headed east towards Wheeling with a stop in Natrium at the local chemical plant. This train was backlit (power was on the east end, running long hood forward). By the time he returned west, it was after dark.

The other daylight local operated between Brooklyn Junction and Bens Run. This train was in good light for the entire trip west (roughly 18-20 miles). The limit on the Ohio River Subdivision never exceeds 20-25MPH, so it definitely allowed us to catch this train at several locations.

We made a brief stop in Parkersburg prior to heading north. We heard a Q317, two locals, a yard job, and a coal train, but due to lack of knowledge regarding photography locations, we weren't able to photograph anything, thus why we took off for New Martinsville.

From what I gathered, Q316 (Russell to Cumberland) operates during the wee hours of the morning. Q317 (Cumberland to Russell) generally arrives into Parkersburg around 8am (give or take). Depending on how long crew changes take, you may be able to chase Q317 from Parkersburg west towards Huntington. This would include street running at St. Marys.

I was also told that coal trains do operate over the Ohio River Subdivision, but there are few and far between. We didn't happen to see any during our journey up there.

As previously stated, the Ohio River Subdivision does offer a considerable amount of potential (as far as photography is concerned), but trains can be at times, hard to find.

Depending on how long you visit WV, you might want to consider hopping over here to the Coal River Subdivision where 20 trains are seen daily. The sun angles this time of year are pretty good and will remain decent until spring. I haven't had the time to document too many "new" locations, but I'd say you'd have roughly, 6-10 locations if you chased the train down the entire Subdivision.

Hope this helps,
Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide

Last edited by Chase55671; 11-04-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Thanks for the detailed info, Chase!
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote