Old 05-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80
Default Woe is freaking me.

Down to one upload again. 13 rejections in the rejection list. Some were fixed and got in. So now I'm down to 1 upload. The recent spat, you could say, was a shot that was in full sun, but as the train came, cloud covered the sun. Hit for cloudy. So I tried to bring out the blue in the sky more and used some shadow highlight, and they say uncorrected upload? So I convert to black and white, hoping it will *help* some, it didn't. I went from a full color shot to a black and white and was hit for uncorrected photo. Question is, how long does it take for me to get my uploads back? A year? That sucks, I have to go that long to get my uploads back? And I know the dumbass remarks like "take better photos" are coming, so go ahead with them anyways, haha. Didn't really mean to piss them off, or is it the 13 rejections? Oh well.....here's the recent spat.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=811285&key=0
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=811348&key=0
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=149122576

Ben
Old 05-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
coborn35

You wont get them back. They also never return emails, so no hope there.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
asis80

I'm sure I'll get them back, and they do return emails. Just a matter of when, I still have shit loads of Harrisburg trip shots to go through and some from Cumberland and Harpers Ferry......

Ben
Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Your three rejection are really bad. Shadow/highlight over used.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
coborn35

Well you must be privileged then.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 05-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
JRMDC

a) did you explain in detail in remarks to screener what you changed? I try to always do that.

b) one of the great RP mysteries is the process/formula/timing by which upload rights are restored.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
b) one of the great RP mysteries is the process/formula/timing by which upload rights are restored.
Or if it ever happens. (even once)

At any rate, welcome to the 1 upload club, you are in very exclusive company (including myself)

edit: I just looked at your photos, I am surprised they did that to you, you have something like 300 pics in the DB

Also pretty silly you got the uncorrected reject, anyone who actually looked at the pictures can see they were edited, especially the one you did the B&W conversion on.

Last edited by troy12n; 05-08-2010 at 08:09 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Well you must be privileged then.
Indeed, I've been on 2 slots for a year +, no sort of response to my emails whatsoever.

As for the shot, I dont think its too bad, but you got cloudf***ed, at that point all you can do is run around screaming at the clouds or snap and know you will get something substandard that will most likely be a personal collection or RRPA shot.
Second one is the best, B&W is pretty bad imo. Dont worry, on my first chance to catch a Belle (consist just like this actually) we waited for hours only to get blocked out by another train, even worse.
I wouldnt push the issue right now, move on and save it for another day, its worked on a good many occasions for me.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Perhaps you should be more selective and only submit your "best" work. Someone recently told me that and he was correct. It gives you a better portfolio if you only submot your best photos.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
Paolo Roffo

Has there ever been a case of someone getting their upload limit raised? I guess I should consider myself lucky they only cut me back to three, back when I still shot film.

I have long since decided I'm not going back to 10 uploads, although in fairness, I rarely upload more than one a day anyway.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #11
Ween

As a POTW and (at least) 5x PCA winner, you should know better by now!
Old 05-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #12
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Perhaps you should be more selective and only submit your "best" work. Someone recently told me that and he was correct. It gives you a better portfolio if you only submot your best photos.

Chase
Are you referring to me?
What do you think I do, got no option other than that, may as well get my 2 slots accepted. If I tried repeatedly sending in cloudy shots ill probably get banned.
Every shot of mine recently has either been an interesting angle/scenery or good power, havnt sent in a GEVO wedge in quite a bit. I have so much unsubmitted stuff due to the limit that I could upload 10 a day for a few weeks and keep the same standard.
Doesnt matter what I send, I have 315 shots that clearly prove I can take a picture but yet I still only have two slots and inclined to believe it will stay that way.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #13
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Are you referring to me?
What do you think I do, got no option other than that, may as well get my 2 slots accepted. If I tried repeatedly sending in cloudy shots ill probably get banned.
Every shot of mine recently has either been an interesting angle/scenery or good power, havnt sent in a GEVO wedge in quite a bit. I have so much unsubmitted stuff due to the limit that I could upload 10 a day for a few weeks and keep the same standard.
Doesnt matter what I send, I have 315 shots that clearly prove I can take a picture but yet I still only have two slots and inclined to believe it will stay that way.
He was talking to Ben and to all at the same time. Ben did what we all want to do get mad and push it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #14
Joe the Photog

After my last CSX shot that I really wanted to get in, I consider myself lucky to have my upload limit unchanged. I've been fortunate to know when to push the envelope and when not to. I'm very surprised they took away Ben's limit because he gets a crap load of Top of 24s. I know we're hearing one side of the story, but average hits per photo should, at least in my opinion, mean something.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:28 AM   #15
mark woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
After my last CSX shot that I really wanted to get in, I consider myself lucky to have my upload limit unchanged. I've been fortunate to know when to push the envelope and when not to. I'm very surprised they took away Ben's limit because he gets a crap load of Top of 24s. I know we're hearing one side of the story, but average hits per photo should, at least in my opinion, mean something.
Agreed.While Ben is an accomplished and talented photog with a lot of great shots and views the shot in question indeed hasn't changed,the original rejection was cloudy,common and i don't see any change in that even with b/w,hence uncorrected reject.Just my .02c.Mark.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:21 AM   #16
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

What in the scene makes it good enough to overcome the cloudy lighting? The cut off trucks? There is foreign power all over the US so that doesn't matter. Catch good light there another day.
I have no idea what an upload limit is?
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #17
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Not talking behind his back but it wasn't all that long ago he was banned and think it's a warning not to annoy. I had a shot that was killed for cloudy and it wasn't cloudy at all, The sun had set and had to pan to stop it. I liked it they didn't so after fixing color and getting shot down I gave up, Think its best just to walk away from a shot for 2 weeks and see if you still like it then rework and try it. I have a lot of shots in twilight that didn't get in, To light for a night shot and too dark for a sunny day shot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:26 AM   #18
asis80

I'm sure my 13 rejections has something to do with it. I don't know, I'm pretty sure I explained in my B&W shot I made note of it although you can tell I took away, oh lets see, all the color? I pushed the envelope 3 times with that cloudy rejection, don't think that's hardly a reason to knock me down to 1 upload a day. I'm not bragging or swelling my chest, but like Joe above mentioned, I've been pretty selective of what I publish and it's pretty plain to see how I've grown. Yea, I still take the standard wedgies that aren't "wow" factor shots, but I take some real nice shots too. Again, not trying to swell my chest or brag, just stating facts. I don't think an email to either Chris's will help, I don't want to seem like a pansy. I'm going to have to deal with it for a long while, so it seems with what everyone who is down to 1 or 2 a day is telling me. I'm not the greatest here but I'm striving to be pretty good. This only hampers it, I guess. I'm not knocking the system, but if you have one great shot, and a screener is feeling picky that day and see's something I don't and rejects it, how is that supposed to help? This is a great site, and I've been down this road once a couple years back because I was mouthy (learned the lesson!!!), but damn. This just blows!

Ben
Old 05-09-2010, 03:06 AM   #19
GIZMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Down to one upload again. 13 rejections in the rejection list. Some were fixed and got in. So now I'm down to 1 upload. The recent spat, you could say, was a shot that was in full sun, but as the train came, cloud covered the sun. Hit for cloudy. So I tried to bring out the blue in the sky more and used some shadow highlight, and they say uncorrected upload? So I convert to black and white, hoping it will *help* some, it didn't. I went from a full color shot to a black and white and was hit for uncorrected photo. Question is, how long does it take for me to get my uploads back? A year? That sucks, I have to go that long to get my uploads back? And I know the dumbass remarks like "take better photos" are coming, so go ahead with them anyways, haha. Didn't really mean to piss them off, or is it the 13 rejections? Oh well.....here's the recent spat.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=811285&key=0
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=811348&key=0
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=149122576

Ben
C

Clear sky is a detriment here and hard to deal with as always.

The bridge is sort of nice, like the old Romans invented so maybe if you had let the train get a lot further out on the bridge and then if you had been up higher on the bank perhaps the bridges and hills in the background would have helped eliminate the need for sky, Sometimes it looks nice if the hills and valley are cradling a train.
GIZMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:49 AM   #20
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
I'm sure my 13 rejections has something to do with it. I don't know, I'm pretty sure I explained in my B&W shot I made note of it although you can tell I took away, oh lets see, all the color? I pushed the envelope 3 times with that cloudy rejection, don't think that's hardly a reason to knock me down to 1 upload a day. I'm not bragging or swelling my chest, but like Joe above mentioned, I've been pretty selective of what I publish and it's pretty plain to see how I've grown. Yea, I still take the standard wedgies that aren't "wow" factor shots, but I take some real nice shots too. Again, not trying to swell my chest or brag, just stating facts. I don't think an email to either Chris's will help, I don't want to seem like a pansy. I'm going to have to deal with it for a long while, so it seems with what everyone who is down to 1 or 2 a day is telling me. I'm not the greatest here but I'm striving to be pretty good. This only hampers it, I guess. I'm not knocking the system, but if you have one great shot, and a screener is feeling picky that day and see's something I don't and rejects it, how is that supposed to help? This is a great site, and I've been down this road once a couple years back because I was mouthy (learned the lesson!!!), but damn. This just blows!

Ben
The reason I think you were kicked down to 1 upload is the fact you continued submitting the same overprocessed shot. The first rejection was for "oveprocessed" and rather than trying to edit it over again and give it a more realistic appearance, you instead changed it to B&W. You received the "uncorrected reupload" twice, for the fact you didn't fix the overprocessed flaw of the image, but instead tried changing other elements of the photo.

They seem to take that "uncorrected reupload" rejection quite serious and I suppose that is why your upload limit was reduced.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #21
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

Quote:
Down to one upload again. 13 rejections in the rejection list. Some were fixed and got in. So now I'm down to 1 upload. The recent spat, you could say, was a shot that was in full sun, but as the train came, cloud covered the sun. Hit for cloudy.
This type of lighting condition is almost impossible to deal with. Bright blue skies with a flat and lifeless subject make for terrible photos. Sometimes a cloud comes along and ruins a photo. It's happened to me many times. Win some, lose some, but recognize that you aren't going to make any points trying to upload inferior photos. Just because you saw a train doesn't make it important.

Quote:
So I tried to bring out the blue in the sky more and used some shadow highlight, and they say uncorrected upload? So I convert to black and white, hoping it will *help* some, it didn't. I went from a full color shot to a black and white and was hit for uncorrected photo.
It doesn't matter how much you fiddle with it in Photoshop, you can't make the sun come back out. If the photo is rejected for "cloudy," that's not something you can change.

Quote:
Question is, how long does it take for me to get my uploads back? A year? That sucks, I have to go that long to get my uploads back? And I know the dumbass remarks like "take better photos" are coming, so go ahead with them anyways, haha. Didn't really mean to piss them off, or is it the 13 rejections?
I can't tell you when you'll get your upload slots back, but look at what you did to lose them. You demonstrated that you lost your focus, and that it was more important for you to get a flat and dull cloudy photo in the database when you should have moved on to something better. You know you have better shots, the screeners know it, and the viewers here know it too. It's not a question of "taking better photos," it's a question of correctly picking what you should upload.

How many photos do you really need to upload? Is it a coincidence that several of the people with the largest number of photos on the site also have the most boring, plain collections of wedge photos? I think I could get by just fine with one or two slots a week, as that's all I upload anyways.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #22
mark woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
What in the scene makes it good enough to overcome the cloudy lighting? The cut off trucks? There is foreign power all over the US so that doesn't matter. Catch good light there another day.
I have no idea what an upload limit is?
The day before.
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:25 AM   #23
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post

Chase
Well you don't follow your own advice.
One cannot have 494 "best" photos. Tenish maybe, but not 494 photos that are your best.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #24
asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Well you don't follow your own advice.
One cannot have 494 "best" photos. Tenish maybe, but not 494 photos that are your best.
Glad someone said it......

Ben
Old 05-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #25
Joe the Photog

Should we all just wip them out and have a pissing contest? Just so we all know, what is the milit on how many "best" photographs someone can have?