Old 11-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P
Default Camera Question

I have noticed something odd with my camera. It does not seem to understand lighting very well.

I notice that on bright sunny days, it will auto select very low exposures, sometimes 1/160 on a bright sunny day at usually a F stop like F/6 or F/8 and ISO 100.

It was pointed out I am missing an opportunity for sharper photos by not using a faster exposure.

So I went out and set it to TV Mode and did 1/1000. The camera decided to go up to ISO 320 and F/5.

I am curious if I have a setting not set right like the metering; but it seems weird the camera always seems to think there is so much less light than there is.

I have an Cannon EOS 7D. Any thoughts?
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
CN Railfan

Could it be that you have your exposure compensation bumped up a couple steps? That would force the camera to use somewhat slower shutter speeds.
CN Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

My only thought is to set it to manual and choose the settings yourself.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
You have a 7D and you're not shooting manual? A camera like that shouldn't even have any auto settings on it.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
I have noticed something odd with my camera. It does not seem to understand lighting very well.

I notice that on bright sunny days, it will auto select very low exposures, sometimes 1/160 on a bright sunny day at usually a F stop like F/6 or F/8 and ISO 100.

It was pointed out I am missing an opportunity for sharper photos by not using a faster exposure.

So I went out and set it to TV Mode and did 1/1000. The camera decided to go up to ISO 320 and F/5.

I am curious if I have a setting not set right like the metering; but it seems weird the camera always seems to think there is so much less light than there is.

Your on P I bet, Camera Makers didn't have rail Fanning in mind with camera set up Set to M and pick what works best for the shot your after.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

Why in the world would you get a 7D and then not shoot manual?
Old 11-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
JRMDC

Manual shooting is good, but I have never been in the camp of those who insist on it. I do a mix of Av and Manual shooting, more of the former but not that much more, call it 60/40. Call me lazy. But full manual is hardly necessary.

My first question is, whether the shots are correctly exposed and you are unhappy with what combination of settings the camera is choosing to get there, or are the shots incorrectly exposed. 1/1000 and f/5 and ISO 320 may be the right combination. Your language is a bit confusing.

I never shoot on any sort of variable ISO, I don't even know if that is possible (I have a Canon 50D). So I commit to an ISO first.

Actually, I'm not sure there is a second question until the first is answered.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
JimThias

I wish Canon would make a high end DSLR with only manual controls and no bells and whistles, just like an old school 35mm camera.
95% of the features on my 5D are useless to me.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 11-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
JRMDC

Jim, are you unable to avoid choosing the non-manual modes? Do you need the camera maker to hold your hand, to take away choices?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #10
Mr. Pick

For trains in sunlight I generally use Tv and set the shutter speed between 1/320 and 1/500, depending on the speed and direction of the train. I then set ISO at a level that will give me ~ f8, which is usually around 160 iso.

I generally use center weighted average metering. Canon's evaluative metering doesn't seem to work that well for me. Could be I'm just used to center weighted from my old 35mm cameras.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Jim, are you unable to avoid choosing the non-manual modes? Do you need the camera maker to hold your hand, to take away choices?
I want them to take away the choices so they can produce a high end camera at a better cost.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #12
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I have done some with full manual; but it's nice to have the camera handle some of the settings.

I think I will try the different metering setting as well.

I used to do full auto; but now I've been trying TV, which I actually have used before in the past.

It'll be a nice day tomorrow so I can try it out.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #13
Indecline

I've beeen shooting full manual since 1968. I do like autofocus, so I use that. Why would you let the camera choose the exposure when you have three very strong light sources in the frame?
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:39 AM   #14
classiclights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecline View Post
Why would you let the camera choose the exposure when you have three very strong light sources in the frame?
That's a hard call, but you might be more likely to do so if your shooting skills were .............................. "In Decline".
Old 11-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #15
Indecline

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiclights View Post
That's a hard call, but you might be more likely to do so if your shooting skills were .............................. "In Dcline".
Somehow I don't think my skills are Indecline. Been shooting this stuff a bit longer than most of the posters and screeners. So tell me something I don't know about how to shoot re. exposure dickhead.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
Indecline

Quote:
That's a hard call, but you might be more likely to do so if your shooting skills were .............................. "In Decline".
BTW "Classiclights" I went to the data base to see if you have anything on the site to demostrate your outstandstanding photographic skills regarding exposure and I could not find a damn thing posted under your name.

So, please direct me to something that tells me you have a clue as to what the heck you are talking about.

Mr Indecline.

Last edited by Indecline; 11-25-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #17
Indecline

Quote:
BTW "Classiclights" I went to the data base to see if you have anything on the site to demostrate your outstandstanding photographic skills regarding exposure and I could not find a damn thing posted under your name.

So, please direct me to something that tells me you have a clue as to what the heck you are talking about.

Mr Indecline.

Last edited by Indecline; 11-25-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #18
milwman
I shoot what I like

I tried full Auto from time to time =P ,TV, AV like if sun is popping in and out and every time the clouds blow out. I like M never me fails unless I do.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #19
bigbassloyd

Quote:

Mr Indecline.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=5369

Loyd L.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #20
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
And hardly a diesel in site! Kind has to kill the fun if no ones running one.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #21
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Somehow I don't think my skills are Indecline. Been shooting this stuff a bit longer than most of the posters and screeners. So tell me something I don't know about how to shoot re. exposure dickhead.
Whoa. Easy there. It was just a joke. That's Bob's sense of humor. It's a little warped maybe but it is never malicious.

And with a handle like Indecline, and your excellent skills, it's obvious you have one too.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #22
classiclights

Thanks Loyd & Dennis !!! I think someone was having a little difficulty recognizing a very simple joke here. I'd offer up an apology, but it's so obvious that none is needed.

My use of the phrase: ... "if your shooting skills were" ..., along with the should have been fairly good indicators I was making a joke of this very easy setup based on a user name.

There was absolutely no "Slam" to or of anyone here!

As far as my user statistics, you'll never see me close to the top when it comes to submissions especially when I rarely submit anything, but you will find my average/views per photo to be well above average; and in this particular case it's something like: 3139 / 915, or 3.43 to 1.

At 64 I will readily admit to my shooting skills being far less than what they once were.

As far as my being a "Dickhead", that would be correct. I have been known to be one on more than one occasion - a badge I wear proudly. This occasion however is not one of them.

Let's put this one to bed now -

Last edited by classiclights; 11-25-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Because I Could !!!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #23
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink O, Snap!

Wow, this thread when down the bowl quick and neither Troy or myself were involved.

Interesting.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #24
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Wow, this thread when down the bowl quick and neither Troy or myself were involved.

Interesting.
I got into an argument with someone on another forum recently with a guy who called me a pussy in so many words for using autofocus.

The guy's argument was "why let the camera focus when I can". Making the same argument in regards to focus as most of us use when touting the advantages of shooting in manual exposure mode.

He seemed like the type of person you just could not convince that any way other than his own was correct, so I just gave up. I kind of felt this thread was headed that way.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #25
Indecline

Got it. I appreciate your response.

Quote:
Thanks Loyd & Dennis !!! I think someone was having a little difficulty recognizing a very simple joke here. I'd offer up an apology, but it's so obvious that none is needed.

My use of the phrase: ... "if your shooting skills were" ..., along with the should have been fairly good indicators I was making a joke of this very easy setup based on a user name.

There was absolutely no "Slam" to or of anyone here!

As far as my user statistics, you'll never see me close to the top when it comes to submissions especially when I rarely submit anything, but you will find my average/views per photo to be well above average; and in this particular case it's something like: 3139 / 915, or 3.43 to 1.

At 64 I will readily admit to my shooting skills being far less than what they once were.

As far as my being a "Dickhead", that would be correct. I have been known to be one on more than one occasion - a badge I wear proudly. This occasion however is not one of them.

Let's put this one to bed now -